Author Topic: The Medical Staff Still Stinks - 2021 Injuries  (Read 13850 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Davey's updates from yesterday via https://www.federalbaseball.com/2021/4/28/22406688/washington-nationals-news-notes-davey-martinez-talks-dunedin-fl-injured-nats-and-peeking-at-pitches

Jon Lester threw six innings right at 90 pitches Sunday,” Martinez said. “He had the day off yesterday [Monday], he was going to throw a light bullpen today, and then we’re going to sit down with him and talk to him and see what the plan is for his next outing. I’m going to sit with [Pitching Coach Ji] Hickey, myself, him, and [GM Mike Rizzo] and discuss what we want to do for his next outing, whether it will be here or he’ll get another one in Fredericksburg, [Virginia], but I want to talk to him first.”

“Harris threw in the game the other day and basically the same. We got to build him up and get him ready. He felt fine. He felt okay. So we’ll just keep building him up.”

“Strasburg threw out at 150 [feet],” Martinez said.

“Everything went well. So we’ll continue to build him up, continue to get stronger, and we’ll go from there.

“Hopefully — we’re hoping that he continues to build strength and we can get him on the mound here real soon.”

Suero:
“He started his throwing program yesterday, felt good. He threw a little bit today on a lighter side. We’ll continue his throwing program tomorrow and then we’ll go from there.

“He’s another guy that we’re hoping maybe this week some time we can get him off a mound and throw a bullpen.”
Soto:
“Soto took batting practice over in Fredericksburg. He didn’t throw yet. Still a little tender with throwing, so we’re going to keep building up his strength in that portion of it, but the hitting went fine. As soon as we can get him throwing we’ll probably have to plop him in a game or two down in Fredericksburg to make sure he’s okay. But he said he hit, he didn’t feel anything, so that’s a good sign.”

Online Five Banners

Davey's updates from yesterday via https://www.federalbaseball.com/2021/4/28/22406688/washington-nationals-news-notes-davey-martinez-talks-dunedin-fl-injured-nats-and-peeking-at-pitches

Suero:Soto:

Notice basically the same update for Harris and Strasburg as far as building them up. Really instills confidence that they spotted the issues and are on the way to resolving them soon.

Offline imref

Lester to be activated and start tonight per Dougherty

Offline rileyn

So our best hitter is out because he can't throw?  It doesn't impact his swing, but we can't play him anyways.  Is that right? 

Offline nfotiu

I guess we have Josh Bell blocking two 900 ops guys from the only position for guys who can’t throw. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I guess we have Josh Bell blocking two 900 ops guys from the only position for guys who can’t throw. 
If he can block that well and he's from Texas, I'm surprised no one drafted him last night.

Offline imref

Strasburg threw off a mound and Soto threw in the OF per davey.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Soto and Harris activated today.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Soto and Harris activated today.
McGowin optioned to Rochester and Hernan Perez DFA'd. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Now we find out of Yadiel can pinch hit

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Now we find out of Yadiel can pinch hit
or play center ;)

My goodness, could you imagine an outfield of Schwarber / Hernandez / Soto? 

Offline Slateman

or play center ;)

My goodness, could you imagine an outfield of Schwarber / Hernandez / Soto? 

To be blunt, I'd rather give Hernanez LF and DFA Schwarber. I've never been that high on him. He's a poor defender and should be at first base.

Offline nfotiu

Sounds like Soto is a ways off from playing outfield.  Pinch hitting for now, and DH against the Yankees sounds like the plan.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Sounds like Soto is a ways off from playing outfield.  Pinch hitting for now, and DH against the Yankees sounds like the plan.
well, PH is probably more valuable than anything Perez was going to contribute.  I wonder who the mop up position player as pitcher will be?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
To be blunt, I'd rather give Hernanez LF and DFA Schwarber. I've never been that high on him. He's a poor defender and should be at first base.
I'll give him a bit more rope, but I'd be hard pressed to argue that Schwarber can do  the job and Hernandez can't.  And it would save a ton of bucks next year instead of picking up the option.  Maybe you could offer some team $5MM and one of Barrera or Reed to take Schwarber off our hands.  Saves ~$4MM between 2 months salary plus the option buy out.

Online Five Banners

So perhaps Strasburg is still staying in build ‘em up mode with no timetable?

Offline aspenbubba

I have a bad feeling that Hernandez is about to return to earth. He has not looked good the last several games.

Offline Slateman

I have a bad feeling that Hernandez is about to return to earth. He has not looked good the last several games.
Oh so he'll be playing better than Schwarber

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Oh so he'll be playing better than Schwarber
your saying returning to earth beats playing like you are 6' under?

Offline nfotiu

With Strasburg pitching a simulated game today, that times him up to replace Fedde I guess.  I’d guess fedde gets one more turn after today.

Offline imref

With Strasburg pitching a simulated game today, that times him up to replace Fedde I guess.  I’d guess fedde gets one more turn after today.

Zuck says that both Strasburg and Suero are pitching in a simulated game tomorrow.  With the minors now open, maybe he gets a start in Rochester before coming back.

Offline Slateman

They really need to be cautious. They can afford to give him a sim game and a start in the minors

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Fedde could be skipped for his next turn with 5/10 off.  Then we hit a stretch of 13 games in a row.  The next time Stras or a 5th starter is needed is 5/15 at AZ.   Alternatively, if Davey doesn't skip Fedde on 5/10, then everyone gets extra rest next week and that rotation spot comes up on 5/16.  Sim game on Thursday, minor league game start on 5/11, and he lines up for 5/16.

Offline Natsinpwc

Fedde could be skipped for his next turn with 5/10 off.  Then we hit a stretch of 13 games in a row.  The next time Stras or a 5th starter is needed is 5/15 at AZ.   Alternatively, if Davey doesn't skip Fedde on 5/10, then everyone gets extra rest next week and that rotation spot comes up on 5/16.  Sim game on Thursday, minor league game start on 5/11, and he lines up for 5/16.
After the short year in 2020 they should be shutting pitchers down for a couple weeks here and there. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
After the short year in 2020 they should be shutting pitchers down for a couple weeks here and there. 
well, Ross got a day off already.  Probably the extra day by keeping Fedde in for a 5/11 start is the way they will go.  May even go with 6 man rotation from 5/11-5/23 to get extra rest in that stretch if Stras is back.