Author Topic: The Medical Staff Still Stinks - 2021 Injuries  (Read 13644 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Any update on Will Harris?

Per Zuckerman he’s being evaluated again in DC and will start the season on the IL

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Any update on Will Harris?
nothing you would not suspect. Camerato says he's starting the year on the IL. Davey says that after missing 2.5 weeks he'll need to build up again

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
nothing you would not suspect. Camerato says he's starting the year on the IL. Davey says that after missing 2.5 weeks he'll need to build up again
Here I was thinking the pen would be an asset this season . . .

Online imref

via ESPN:
The Nats announced that starting pitchers Patrick Corbin and Jon Lester, catchers Yan Gomes and Alex Avila, first baseman Josh Bell, infielders Josh Harrison and Jordy Mercer, left fielder Kyle Schwarber and reliever Brad Hand have all been placed on the injured list, though none with a specified injury.

plus Will Harris to the 10 day IL with right hand inflammation.

Online RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
lmao this team i swear to christ......when it rains it pours.

Offline nfotiu

The unspecified injury guys are assumed to be the COVID protocol guys...  so not really unexpected.

Offline Natsinpwc

The unspecified injury guys are assumed to be the COVID protocol guys...  so not really unexpected.
This says they are the Covid related list.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/04/nationals-set-opening-day-roster.html

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

aloha and welcome back! Break out the kazoo because your man gets the start at 1st.

Online imref

Davey says Will Harris is throwing long toss.

Offline hotshot

Here I was thinking the pen would be an asset this season . . .
How sure are you that the Top 3 in the starting staff will be that much of an asset this season? Will this be the season we'll see a major decline with Max, another extended IL stint for Stras, and Corbin, well ...

Online Slateman

How sure are you that the Top 3 in the starting staff will be that much of an asset this season? Will this be the season we'll see a major decline with Max, another extended IL stint for Stras, and Corbin, well ...
You and Air Desmond should hang out

Online RobDibblesGhost

Zuckerman:

As for the TV shot of Strasburg rubbing his shoulder in the tunnel behind the dugout, Martinez said he was unaware of it until after the game and was pretty upset it was broadcast in the first place. Was adamant cameras aren't allowed to show that area.

Online Slateman

Maybe they're all under the weather from the vaccine

Offline Natsinpwc

Zuckerman:

As for the TV shot of Strasburg rubbing his shoulder in the tunnel behind the dugout, Martinez said he was unaware of it until after the game and was pretty upset it was broadcast in the first place. Was adamant cameras aren't allowed to show that area.
Damn MSM.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Maybe they're all under the weather from the vaccine
you know, I was just about to post that. With the J&J vaccine and it's potential for an inflammation response, I wonder if Stras was one who got the shot Monday.  I can't imagine he would have gotten on his throwing arm side, but perhaps the more general potential for soreness goes up when you do something as unnatural as throwing a ball 90 MPH repeatedly.

Offline DPMOmaha

I didn't get J&J but fatigue was my biggest side effect. I was a little concerned about that for yesterday's game.

Offline hotshot

you know, I was just about to post that. With the J&J vaccine and it's potential for an inflammation response, I wonder if Stras was one who got the shot Monday.  I can't imagine he would have gotten on his throwing arm side, but perhaps the more general potential for soreness goes up when you do something as unnatural as throwing a ball 90 MPH repeatedly.
If it's not the shot (which I'd bet strongly against), it'll turn out to be something else -- something that likely will end up with a stint on the IL. After a bad outing and velocity concerns, that's often been his history.

Offline Natsinpwc

If it's not the shot (which I'd bet strongly against), it'll turn out to be something else -- something that likely will end up with a stint on the IL. After a bad outing and velocity concerns, that's often been his history.
Why would you bet against it being the shot.  Many people have body aches after the shot. 

Online imref

I'd bet there's a 100% chance he got the shot in his non-throwing arm.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I'd bet there's a 100% chance he got the shot in his non-throwing arm.
yes, but while the stiffness I think is commonly at the site of injection, isn't there sometimes a side effect of broader aches and soreness?  If soreness is tied to inflammation, and you are doing something that ordinarily causes inflammation, then maybe . . .

Of course, they would have been dumb not to wait to today to give him a shot.

Online imref

yes, but while the stiffness I think is commonly at the site of injection, isn't there sometimes a side effect of broader aches and soreness?  If soreness is tied to inflammation, and you are doing something that ordinarily causes inflammation, then maybe . . .

Of course, they would have been dumb not to wait to today to give him a shot.

Zuck wrote about Strasburg, saying he was rubbing his neck and shoulder.

https://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pastime/2021/04/questions-about-strasburg-abound-in-blowout-loss.html

He wasn’t finishing his pitches. Instead of driving toward the plate, he was peeling off toward the first base dugout. He was occasionally testing out his left side, then his neck. A camera later spotted him in the tunnel behind the dugout feeling around his right shoulder and neck.

Anyone who has watched Strasburg throughout his 11 years in the majors has been trained to spot the warning signs. Sometimes they don’t mean anything. Often they do.

In this case, however, the people who decide whether a pitcher should be allowed to continue pitching clearly decided there was nothing to be alarmed about. Despite the diminished velocity, despite the bad body language, despite the ugly results, pitching coach Jim Hickey didn’t stroll to the mound until well into the bottom of the fifth. Manager Davey Martinez didn’t make the walk until he was asking for the ball from Strasburg following his 88th pitch of the game. Director of athletic training Paul Lessard never left the dugout.

“We talked to him. He didn’t complain about anything,” Martinez said during a rare postgame Zoom session in which the jovial skipper turned testy.

Online imref

Avilan to the IL with left elbow inflammation, McGowin recalled.

Davey says Lester will make another rehab start in Fredricksburg before being activated.

Online imref

Wander Suero placeholder

Online imref

Avilan has a torn UCL, hasn’t yet decided in his options per Davey but Sam Clay is goin to be around for a while.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Avilan has a torn UCL, hasn’t yet decided in his options per Davey but Sam Clay is goin to be around for a while.
he should be, but there's still going to be a squeeze when Harris and Lester are back. McGowin is the easy move, but then it gets difficult.  Phantom IL for Corbin or some other injury would be the cleanest move.