Author Topic: Washington [Insert Name Here for an NFL team] Thread (2021)  (Read 9547 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
KC defense :clown: Not one but two WRs behind the secondary.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Hail to the Deadskins
Hail weekly loss!
Mules on the tow-path
Pulling for the Boss!

Snyder! Snyder! Snyder! Sny-der!
Vinny, Vinny, Brucie Allen, Bruce!
Lose on! Lose on! Remember on!
Sons of Wash-ing-ton!

Rah! Rah Rah!

Hail to the Deadskins
Hail weekly loss!
Mules on the tow-path
Pulling for the Boss!

Offline welch

Those old RFK seats have actually been available to buy online for years now. I'm hoping that they drop in price over the next few years when thousands more become available.

A couple of people who post on the Washington Baseball Yesterday and Today Facebook site have mentioned that when DC Stadium was finished, so of the Griffith Stadium seats were sold to Rosecroft Raceway, and then sold to fans. There are a few Griffith Stadium seats in Cooperstown -- the box seats where Presidents sat. A few went to Tinker Field, Florida home of the Twins. People bought some when the Twins went modern.

Therefore, get your RFK Stadium seats while you can.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
KC defense :clown: Not one but two WRs behind the secondary.

Hail To The Chiefs... ;)  Mahooooomesss!!! :clap:

Offline imref

Hail To The Chiefs... ;)  Mahooooomesss!!! :clap:

Mahomes started playing like Mahomes.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
But fair comment about our defence - I've commented previously about how having an inept defence, until Week 9 or 10, is just how it is under Spagnuolo... :roll:

Offline machpost

A couple of people who post on the Washington Baseball Yesterday and Today Facebook site have mentioned that when DC Stadium was finished, so of the Griffith Stadium seats were sold to Rosecroft Raceway, and then sold to fans. There are a few Griffith Stadium seats in Cooperstown -- the box seats where Presidents sat. A few went to Tinker Field, Florida home of the Twins. People bought some when the Twins went modern.

Therefore, get your RFK Stadium seats while you can.

I was digging around in the RFK Stadium demolition RFP and there's an extensive inventory list of literally everything left in the place. According to that information, there are still a bunch of replacement seats and parts in storage beneath the stadium. There are also floor plans of every level, and I was surprised at the sprawling size of the basement level. I wonder if they'll sell or auction off all the old junk that's been stored down there for decades, or if it's going to the dump.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Hail to the Deadskins[...]

In my earlier residency in this area (1962-66) my father was posted to the Defense Communications Agency, and he had a co-worker there who, without fail, every in-season Monday morning could be heard saying as he reported in, 'OH THOSE DEADSKINS!'

[it must be remembered that back then the Redskins were basically Sonny Jurgensen, Bobby Mitchell, Charley Taylor and 40 other chaps named Bob - really not much better than the Snyder-era line-ups]

Offline welch

In my earlier residency in this area (1962-66) my father was posted to the Defense Communications Agency, and he had a co-worker there who, without fail, every in-season Monday morning could be heard saying as he reported in, 'OH THOSE DEADSKINS!'

[it must be remembered that back then the Redskins were basically Sonny Jurgensen, Bobby Mitchell, Charley Taylor and 40 other chaps named Bob - really not much better than the Snyder-era line-ups]

And Jerry, as in Jerry Smith. Yes, all of us called them the Deadskins, from the late '50s onward. (What else can you call the team that had Ralph Guglielmi at QB? The all-white team blocked from integrating, said owner George Preston Marshall, by that mean guy in Cleveland, Paul Brown. That was after Marshall generously offered the Browns the Redskins third-string quarterback, M.C. Reynolds, for Bobby Mitchell.)

Offline Natsinpwc

Unbelievable.

Offline welch

Believable. little dan snyder owns the ex-Redskins.

Offline Natsinpwc

Believable. little dan snyder owns the ex-Redskins.
But everyone said Riverboat Ron was a great hire.  Doesn't seem any better than the prior regimes. 

Offline HalfSmokes

He’s a retread with retread coordinators.

Offline OldChelsea

But everyone said Riverboat Ron was a great hire.  Doesn't seem any better than the prior regimes. 

Snyder is still the owner. Until that changes, any hope for improvement is in vain.

Offline OldChelsea

Interesting...the Generics played (in theory) yesterday, but not one single post on this thread from yesterday.

Yes, The Team Formerly Known As The Redskins is becoming less and less relevant with each passing season. A whole generation has grown up in this area with no frame of reference to the great days, knowing little more than continuing ineptitude from the local NFL side...meanwhile other local teams have been winning championships (2018 Capitals, 2019 Nationals, 2019 Mystics) and the local NFL side now has the league's worst attendance (52,000 - less than RFK's football capacity - and an average of 62% of FedEx Field capacity sold) - who, as recently as 10 years ago, could have foreseen that?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Interesting...the Generics played (in theory) yesterday, but not one single post on this thread from yesterday.

Yes, The Team Formerly Known As The Redskins is becoming less and less relevant with each passing season. A whole generation has grown up in this area with no frame of reference to the great days, knowing little more than continuing ineptitude from the local NFL

Whats more intersting about this is that the NFL has enabled parity across the board in most of its franchises

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Whats more intersting about this is that the NFL has enabled parity across the board in most of its franchises

The fish rots from the Danny-boy head down.

Actually, They blew all the scoring opportunities they needed to at least tie that game yesterday.  All in the red zone. All inside the 10, I think.

And, of course, they released yet another kicker who will go on to hit critical field goal after critical field goal for years.

Offline imref

The fish rots from the Danny-boy head down.

Actually, They blew all the scoring opportunities they needed to at least tie that game yesterday.  All in the red zone. All inside the 10, I think.

And, of course, they released yet another kicker who will go on to hit critical field goal after critical field goal for years.

The Jets and Jaguars might be interested in learning more about this 'parity' thing.

Offline welch

By Daniel Kaplan 5h ago 48
NEW YORK — Sixteen years ago, Native American activists appeared at an NFL owners’ meeting in Georgetown to protest the former name of the Washington Football Team. Tuesday, history sort of repeated itself as two former employees of the WFT appeared in the lobby of the hotel where owners were meeting to hand-deliver a letter calling for transparency in the league’s completed investigation of the culture of the team.

Melanie Coburn and Ana Nunez delivered the letter to the reception at the Intercontinental Hotel and then talked to reporters for roughly an hour in the marble-tiled, ornate lobby off 48th Street and Lexington.

“There’s a lot of stories that haven’t been shared that you haven’t heard in the press,” said Coburn, who left the team in 2011 after 15 years as a cheerleader and marketing director. “There’s a lot of employees who’re still scared and intimidated and threatened to come forward. And I just feel it’s time that they’re starting, their stories are heard, and I’m hoping that Congress will push for the truth.”

Congress’ Oversight and Reform Committee has announced an inquiry into the WFT and asked the league for all investigative documents. The league has yet to say whether it will oblige, and those close to the league expect it to resist the Congressional effort.

The NFL’s 10-month investigation began into the WFT after a report in The Washington Post sparked a league probe that resulted in investigator Lisa Friel calling the team’s workplace culture “very toxic” in July.

Full article at https://theathletic.com/2915095/2021/10/26/two-former-washington-football-team-employees-crash-owners-meeting-demand-investigation-transparency/

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Full article at https://theathletic.com/2915095/2021/10/26/two-former-washington-football-team-employees-crash-owners-meeting-demand-investigation-transparency/

"...said Coburn, who left the team in 2011 after 15 years as a cheerleader and marketing director."

Not exactly sure what to make of that...

Offline welch

SnyderSkins going after the record of the 1960 Redskins.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/1960.htm

Offline imref

Heinecke looked awful today

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
So I heard Rivera on the radio responding to a question about whether they are looking for a qb.  His response was basically they've asked around but they don't want to pay the draft pick and talent price to get someone who would be able to help. What's interesting to me is that Cam Newton is out there for free right now and Rivera coached him. I'm guessing Rivera wants to stay away from Cam at all costs. 

Offline HalfSmokes

So I heard Rivera on the radio responding to a question about whether they are looking for a qb.  His response was basically they've asked around but they don't want to pay the draft pick and talent price to get someone who would be able to help. What's interesting to me is that Cam Newton is out there for free right now and Rivera coached him. I'm guessing Rivera wants to stay away from Cam at all costs. 

Their best bet now is to continue losing and draft a qb next year. They aren't saving this season.