Author Topic: Washington [Insert Name Here for an NFL team] Thread (2021)  (Read 9550 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Sweat looks to me like a much better player than Chase Young. Should have drafted Herbert.

Young got all the hype last season but Sweat was better than Young. So far this season, neither of them has been impressive. The thing that puzzles me about them is how many plays they take off, especially on critical downs.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Like I said completion percentage of 52.  4 interceptions and a couple lost fumbles.  QBR of 41.0.  Fantasy football is not real football. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HurtJa00.htm

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/qb-power-rankings-2020/2/

True. I'm biased after years of playing fantasy football. It changes how you watch the game.  72.8 QBR in week one, 8th overall though.

Offline Natsinpwc

True. I'm biased after years of playing fantasy football. It changes how you watch the game.  72.8 QBR in week one, 8th overall though.
He looked much better. Not sure how much of that is his improvement versus having better receivers and play calling. 

Offline Natsinpwc

Young got all the hype last season but Sweat was better than Young. So far this season, neither of them has been impressive. The thing that puzzles me about them is how many plays they take off, especially on critical downs.
How are their fantasy stats?

Offline imref

How are their fantasy stats?

WFT has the #2 ranked defense in Yahoo. :)

Offline Natsinpwc

I don’t play fantasy football but his being top ten. Is that maybe just due to his name recognition?  Played for two high profile college programs.

Offline spidernat

He looked much better. Not sure how much of that is his improvement versus having better receivers and play calling. 

facing the falcons may have helped

Offline Natsinpwc

WFT has the #2 ranked defense in Yahoo. :)
Book your Super Bowl weekend now! 

Offline spidernat

I've noticed that. Some of the people that play fantasy football say some weird crap when you watch games around them.

Offline Natsinpwc

facing the falcons may have helped
Yes. That too. But also they have an improved offensive line.  Brooks is back at RG and Lane Johnson is healthy at RT. Mailaita looks real good at LT. major improvement over an aging Jason Peters. Kelce is always good and Seomalu is decent at LG. They might have the best OL in football.

Offline imref

I've noticed that. Some of the people that play fantasy football say some weird crap when you watch games around them.

Well, you end up rooting for players rather than teams. It's one of the reasons I stopped playing fantasy baseball (that and because fantasy baseball is a part-time job). :)

Offline imref

I don’t play fantasy football but his being top ten. Is that maybe just due to his name recognition?  Played for two high profile college programs.

It's due to extrapolating his numbers from last year, his being a running and passing threat, his strong O-line, and his weak division.

Offline spidernat

Yes. That too. But also they have an improved offensive line.  Brooks is back at RG and Lane Johnson is healthy at RT. Mailaita looks real good at LT. major improvement over an aging Jason Peters. Kelce is always good and Seomalu is decent at LG. They might have the best OL in football.

:shock:  as seen though midnight green colored glasses.

Isn't Jason Peter already injured this year for the bears?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Isn't Jason Peter already injured this year for the bears?

Yes...and got knocked flat on his ass by that #99 guy on the Rams...

Da Bears are a national embarrassment...

Offline HalfSmokes

Yes...and got knocked flat on his ass by that #99 guy on the Rams...

Da Bears are a national embarrassment...

NFC North is shaping up to be unwatchable this year. Rogers seems like he really wanted the Jeopardy gig

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
This shoulda drafted Hebert nonsense is like the Shoulda drafted Trout nonsense. Young was the consensus best talent in the draft and he’s been good. That said, agree with Slate’s post that the DL needs to step up.

Offline HalfSmokes

He hasn’t been second overall pick good and he certainly has been as valuable as even a serviceable quarterback

Offline Kevrock

Edit: I’m not following your post. He’s been good and no one advocated for drafting Herbert over him. It’s just a bad, lazy take.

Offline spidernat

Edit: I’m not following your post. He’s been good and no one advocated for drafting Herbert over him. It’s just a bad, lazy take.

Very true, there were some idiots within the Redskins fanbase who wanted Tagovailoa to be selected but after Burrow was chosen by the bengals, Young was believed by almost every "expert" to be the right pick at 2. I don't think anyone believed Herbert would be this good and certainly not this soon.

After watching Herbert play a few games last year I told people that I wish we could trade Young for Herbert (hypothetically I would've done it last November) and people looked at me like I was crazy. After Herbert had his way with our defense last week a couple of them told me that they wish they could make that trade now. The chargers would laugh before hanging up the phone.

edit: full disclosure, coming into the draft I didn't think Herbert would translate well into the NFL. I viewed him as the type of player who would need several years to become a decent QB, like Tannehill. But right now he looks way better than Tannehill and from the very start of his career

Offline HalfSmokes

The old, don’t blame the skins because they rely on the same ESPN evaluations fans use take? Who cares what the consensus was- that’s why teams have talent evaluators.

Offline spidernat

The old, don’t blame the skins because they rely on the same ESPN evaluations fans use take? Who cares what the consensus was- that’s why teams have talent evaluators.

Not at all. In a sense, you're absolutely right. Someone should've been able to identify Herbert's upside. Especially when the team in question is in desperate search of a QB. But at the time, they had just drafted Haskins in the first round the year before(Snyder again :?). But Young looked like the real deal. And I still think he can live up to hype and prove he was worth the investment this team made. He's just not there yet.

Offline Kevrock

It’s just a hot take. You can do this with any mega star that isn’t drafted 1-1. And you seem to think Young hasn’t lived up to it but he had a great first year.

Offline HalfSmokes

It’s just a hot take. You can do this with any mega star that isn’t drafted 1-1. And you seem to think Young hasn’t lived up to it but he had a great first year.

I think that the redskins continually invest draft assets into a front seven doesn’t at all reflect that. They are good, but they are far from a dominant unit

Offline Kevrock

Can definitely agree there! Disappointing start to the year in that regard as well