Author Topic: MLB.TV on Fire TV?  (Read 334 times)

Offline CowherPower

MLB.TV on Fire TV?
« Topic Start: February 20, 2021, 04:18:22 PM »
Hi all.  Has anyone tried using a VPN on Fire TV to watch the Nats on MLB.TV?  There are a ton of VPN apps available for Fire TV, but I've read that MLB.TV doesn't get fooled by a VPN when it's running on an Android-based OS like Fire TV.  Is that true, or have any of you had luck watching the Nats on Fire TV?

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
Re: MLB.TV on Fire TV?
« Reply #1: February 20, 2021, 04:36:06 PM »
Hi all.  Has anyone tried using a VPN on Fire TV to watch the Nats on MLB.TV?  There are a ton of VPN apps available for Fire TV, but I've read that MLB.TV doesn't get fooled by a VPN when it's running on an Android-based OS like Fire TV.  Is that true, or have any of you had luck watching the Nats on Fire TV?

Yes I have for since 2018.

I use the ExpressVPN app on the fire TV + MLB.TV

Here is the trick. Setting the VPN to anywhere in the USA or Canada has not worked for me. Even Mexico was hit and miss. However Europe worked 100% of the time. Never had a problem when selecting England or anywhere outside of North America.

Select Germany and bro down

Select Germany for example in the Smart location and hit the power looking button BEFORE you select the game on the MLB.TV app.

Offline CowherPower

« Reply #2: February 20, 2021, 08:41:01 PM »
Yes I have for since 2018.  I use the ExpressVPN app on the fire TV + MLB.TV

Thanks - that's great to hear that it's working for you with ExpressVPN.  I got worried because Unlocator says specifically that MLB.tv won't work on Fire TV.  And I also read this on another site (the second point is about Fire TV but refers back to the first point)...

CAN I BYPASS MLB.TV BLACKOUTS ON ANDROID?
The MLB.tv app on Android-based phones and tablets uses a combination of location services and GPS to determine your current location. Thus, you cannot bypass MLB blackout restrictions on Android, even when using VPN.

HOW TO AVOID MLB BLACKOUTS ON AMAZON FIRE TV OR FIRESTICK?
The Amazon Fire TV operating system is based on Android. Therefore, you cannot get around blackouts on this device either.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #3: February 21, 2021, 03:26:06 PM »
The VPN never works for any of the other apps. Netflix Hulu whatever. MLB never gave me an issue. Feels like they are looking the other way lol

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #4: March 01, 2021, 01:19:00 PM »
Unlocator has worked for me on a Fire Stick and a Fire Cube, but it worked poorly—the feed rebuffered a lot and the picture would become worse than low-def TV.