Author Topic: 2021 NL East  (Read 12914 times)

Online Natsinpwc

Re: 2021 NL East
« Reply #350: September 07, 2021, 09:25:30 AM »

The real reason I throw cold water on the Phillies is my utter distaste for them and most of their "fans". Living in Phillies territory my entire life is a reason that drove me to becoming a fan of any other franchise.
You’re such a snowflake.  :hysterical:

I grew up in Philly but have not lived there in 37 years. Seems to me it’s more of an Iggles town. I don’t get back very often but the sports radio talk is about them most of the year.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #351: September 07, 2021, 10:57:22 AM »

I grew up in Philly but have not lived there in 37 years. Seems to me it’s more of an Iggles town. I don’t get back very often but the sports radio talk is about them most of the year.

I hate the cold. I'm the most unique piece of tree bark there is!  :mg:

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #352: September 08, 2021, 12:43:03 PM »
The Phillies have the easiest remaining schedule but the Braves are not far behind. 

http://www.tankathon.com/mlb/remaining_schedule_strength

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #353: September 09, 2021, 10:21:02 PM »
Ian Kennedy gives up a couple more HRs and blows another save.  This is what Patrick Corbin could be doing in a couple years for some team. 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #354: September 12, 2021, 11:34:47 PM »
Baez is a punk...

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #355: September 13, 2021, 07:52:06 AM »

Horse turd nation doesn't get to look down on anyone. :)

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #356: September 13, 2021, 07:59:36 AM »
Horse turd nation doesn't get to look down on anyone. :)
Well in the NFL East at least. 

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #358: September 29, 2021, 08:11:30 AM »
Looks like the Braves again. Their GM did a nice job at the deadline filling holes that developed from injuries and off the field issues.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #359: September 29, 2021, 09:51:30 AM »
Looks like the Braves again. Their GM did a nice job at the deadline filling holes that developed from injuries and off the field issues.
Truly incredible they could lose their superstar player and still do so well, good for them.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #360: September 29, 2021, 10:02:14 AM »
Truly incredible they could lose their superstar player and still do so well, good for them.

Definitely give them credit for pulling out the division win this year (assuming they clinch soon) but they are definitely unlucky compared to their Pythagorean wins.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #361: September 29, 2021, 10:06:18 AM »
Traded for four OFers at the deadline and that did the trick.  They will be tough to beat for several years.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #362: September 29, 2021, 11:14:39 AM »
Traded for four OFers at the deadline and that did the trick.  They will be tough to beat for several years.
well, Duvall and Pedersen have expiring contracts, so they are more or less bridges to getting Acuna back and some of the prospects like Pache panning out. I'm still a skeptic about their long-run pitching, but hey, they've been tough to beat since 2018.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #363: September 29, 2021, 11:23:04 AM »
Gotta wonder if having multiple good platoon options is better than one supetstar

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #364: September 29, 2021, 12:13:45 PM »
Bryce just had an incredible year and once again his team is dogcrap around him. Him and KREW going to have a fun offseason in the Philly 'burbs though.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #365: September 29, 2021, 12:27:12 PM »
Bryce just had an incredible year and once again his team is dogcrap around him. Him and KREW going to have a fun offseason in the Philly 'burbs though.
The Eflin and Hoskins injuries killed them. And then at the deadline the crazy money owner would not let the GM take on any salary. If Seattle makes it they will have the longest non playoff streak.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #366: September 29, 2021, 12:52:03 PM »
The Eflin and Hoskins injuries killed them. And then at the deadline the crazy money owner would not let the GM take on any salary. If Seattle makes it they will have the longest non playoff streak.
And the pen. Honestly, the bullpen issues are probably the biggest issue. But Harper has basically carried that offense

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #367: September 29, 2021, 01:13:18 PM »
Gotta wonder if having multiple good platoon options is better than one supetstar
:mg:

<-------

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #368: September 29, 2021, 01:18:59 PM »
And the pen. Honestly, the bullpen issues are probably the biggest issue. But Harper has basically carried that offense
do remember when the line being pushed was that the bullpen of the Nats would be a strength going into the year?  So many arms!  Hand, Harris, Hudson, Rainey at the back end, the promising Finnegan who looked good last year, Avilan pushing Clay into the minors, Suero and his cutter, plus one or two long guys in Fedde and Voth who did not make the rotation. 

I honestly can't figure out how folks figure out bullpens.  We say the performance varies, but there are some organizations that seem to be able to pull things together every year even if the names change. Tampa Bay may be the tops at this.  Did anyone think Liam Hendriks deserved his money?  Garrett Whitlock was a rule 5. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #369: September 29, 2021, 01:37:28 PM »
do remember when the line being pushed was that the bullpen of the Nats would be a strength going into the year?  So many arms!  Hand, Harris, Hudson, Rainey at the back end, the promising Finnegan who looked good last year, Avilan pushing Clay into the minors, Suero and his cutter, plus one or two long guys in Fedde and Voth who did not make the rotation. 

I honestly can't figure out how folks figure out bullpens.  We say the performance varies, but there are some organizations that seem to be able to pull things together every year even if the names change. Tampa Bay may be the tops at this.  Did anyone think Liam Hendriks deserved his money?  Garrett Whitlock was a rule 5. 

The Nats pen was one of the big reasons this team didnt plumet to the bottom in April and May

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #370: September 29, 2021, 01:50:19 PM »
They picked up Kennedy and of course he regressed. 

The starting pitching was not very good outside Wheeler and then Suarez when they moved him into the rotation.  Suarez has an ERA  of 1.45 with 99 innings pitched.  5.3 WAR. Should get Cy Young votes but he will not. If they somehow win tonight he should be pitched Thursday instead of Gibson but Joe will not do that. Trust the veteran just like he has with Didi all year. DOH.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #371: September 29, 2021, 01:58:35 PM »
They picked up Kennedy and of course he regressed. 

The starting pitching was not very good outside Wheeler and then Suarez when they moved him into the rotation.  Suarez has an ERA  of 1.45 with 99 innings pitched.  5.3 WAR. Should get Cy Young votes but he will not. If they somehow win tonight he should be pitched Thursday instead of Gibson but Joe will not do that. Trust the veteran just like he has with Didi all year. DOH.
The pitching was good enough, particularly after trading for Gibson and Suerz.

No, this is squarely on the shoulders of a garbage pen and the severe regression of Didi and the poor performance of Realmuto.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #372: September 29, 2021, 02:09:23 PM »
The pitching was good enough, particularly after trading for Gibson and Suerz.

No, this is squarely on the shoulders of a garbage pen and the severe regression of Didi and the poor performance of Realmuto.
No. The starting pitching had Anderson/Moore/Velasquez as the 4 and 5 most of the season and were terrible. Eflin hurt most of the year. Nola has had a bad year including September. Gibson has been awful in September. Realmuto has not been bad when healthy. They just miss Hoskins. McCutcheon was also bad most of the year. The defense is bad also. Team effort. Really amazing they are above .500.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/majors/2021-team-pitching-staffs.shtml

Offline Slateman

« Reply #373: September 29, 2021, 02:26:21 PM »
I mean, that arguement should clinch the NL Cy Young and MVP. Wheeler and Harper almost propelled their team into the playoffs

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #374: September 29, 2021, 02:29:26 PM »
No. The starting pitching had Anderson/Moore/Velasquez as the 4 and 5 most of the season and were terrible. Eflin hurt most of the year. Nola has had a bad year including September. Gibson has been awful in September. Realmuto has not been bad when healthy. They just miss Hoskins. McCutcheon was also bad most of the year. The defense is bad also. Team effort. Really amazing they are above .500.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/majors/2021-team-pitching-staffs.shtml

Agree on the part where it's amazing they are over .500. With a -6 run differential, they are just overperforming their actual talent level.