Author Topic: 2021 NL East  (Read 12734 times)

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
Re: 2021 NL East
« Reply #375: October 01, 2021, 09:49:06 AM »

Agree on the part where it's amazing they are over .500. With a -6 run differential, they are just overperforming their actual talent level.
Whatever, it's a dream come true.  Another successful season!

Offline rileyn

« Reply #376: October 01, 2021, 09:59:29 AM »
Bryce goes 0-11 in their biggest series of the year.  Dude, where is your ring?

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #377: October 03, 2021, 09:18:06 AM »
Perhaps the gods of baseball have decided that Bryce Harper will never get to the World Series. He turned down the Nats' offer of $300 million in expectation that "somebody" would offer more. It's called "hubris", and it is central to Greek tragedy. A great man over-reaches, and falls. Read Aristotle's "Poetics", and then consider Sophocles.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #378: October 03, 2021, 09:48:22 AM »
Perhaps the gods of baseball have decided that Bryce Harper will never get to the World Series. He turned down the Nats' offer of $300 million in expectation that "somebody" would offer more. It's called "hubris", and it is central to Greek tragedy. A great man over-reaches, and falls. Read Aristotle's "Poetics", and then consider Sophocles.
The offer was deferred money.  The Phillies and the other teams bidding for him were not.  The Lerners offer was a joke.  Would you prefer $300 million paid out over 20 years on a ten year contract or $330 million paid out of over 13 years on a 13 year contract? The Lerners knew he and Boras would turn it down. 

Offline welch

« Reply #379: October 03, 2021, 11:56:33 AM »
The offer was deferred money.  The Phillies and the other teams bidding for him were not.  The Lerners offer was a joke.  Would you prefer $300 million paid out over 20 years on a ten year contract or $330 million paid out of over 13 years on a 13 year contract? The Lerners knew he and Boras would turn it down. 

Harper did not have the Fillies offer when he turned down the Nats. He had no offer. Not from anybody until just before Spring Training. He appears to have come back to the Lerners in December, 2018, asking if the offer was still on the table. It wasn't: the Nats had already spent big on Corbin and a few secondary players.

Harper lost out. He lost a chance to play alongside Soto and Rendon and Turner and Zimm / Howie, and behind Scherzer and Strasburg. He made a little more money, and "won" the pride of having gotten the largest contract, at the time, of any ballplayer. That proud moment went quickly, and now he has the pride of playing for the team that had less than 50% of players get vaccinated. And missing the playoffs again.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #380: October 03, 2021, 12:16:26 PM »
Harper did not have the Fillies offer when he turned down the Nats. He had no offer. Not from anybody until just before Spring Training. He appears to have come back to the Lerners in December, 2018, asking if the offer was still on the table. It wasn't: the Nats had already spent big on Corbin and a few secondary players.

Harper lost out. He lost a chance to play alongside Soto and Rendon and Turner and Zimm / Howie, and behind Scherzer and Strasburg. He made a little more money, and "won" the pride of having gotten the largest contract, at the time, of any ballplayer. That proud moment went quickly, and now he has the pride of playing for the team that had less than 50% of players get vaccinated. And missing the playoffs again.
The Lerners offer was not a serious one. You are focused on one year.  He would not be playing beside Scherzer now. Or Trea Turner. If he had accepted people would be complaining now because they would not have the money to sign Soto. And as you noted they would not have signed Corbin.

Did you feel the same way about Jayson Werth?  He missed the chance to play alongside Utley and Howard and Halladay in the playoffs that year and might have made the difference. Of course he took the money.  $330 million over 13 years is quite a bit more than $300 million over 20 years. He also got $30 million his first year due to a signing bonus. Money up front is always the best.

His timing was bad but he has a better chance at making the playoffs the next couple years than he would in DC. Seems like with a trash team now some fans need to focus on Harper missing the playoffs again or Rendon having a bad year and being hurt. I guess the misery of others helps.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #381: October 03, 2021, 12:34:18 PM »
Nah...I won't be happy until Harper misses the postseason for another 10 consecutive years...

I hope Antny wins another WS...

Offline rileyn

« Reply #382: October 03, 2021, 12:38:03 PM »
The Lerners offer was not a serious one. You are focused on one year.  He would not be playing beside Scherzer now. Or Trea Turner. If he had accepted people would be complaining now because they would not have the money to sign Soto. And as you noted they would not have signed Corbin.

Did you feel the same way about Jayson Werth?  He missed the chance to play alongside Utley and Howard and Halladay in the playoffs that year and might have made the difference. Of course he took the money.  $330 million over 13 years is quite a bit more than $300 million over 20 years. He also got $30 million his first year due to a signing bonus. Money up front is always the best.

His timing was bad but he has a better chance at making the playoffs the next couple years than he would in DC. Seems like with a trash team now some fans need to focus on Harper missing the playoffs again or Rendon having a bad year and being hurt. I guess the misery of others helps.

Screw Harper.  He was dead to me the minute he did that ridiculous bat flip, followed by the drama queen bow on his way out to RF, in his return to Nats Park. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #383: October 03, 2021, 12:46:56 PM »
Nah...I won't be happy until Harper misses the postseason for another 10 consecutive years...

I hope Antny wins another WS...
Grin for the win. 

Offline welch

« Reply #384: October 03, 2021, 02:36:56 PM »

Ha!

In 2018, when Harper turned down the Nats' offer, I did not yet know that Rizzo would sign Corbin, or that the Nats would win the World Series, or that the Nats would fail to sign Rendon, or that Strasburg would break down, or that the Nats would fail to sign Scherzer and Turner. Harper would have played 2019 -- the next season -- with all those guys.

And who knew that the Lerners were not serious?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #385: October 03, 2021, 02:41:05 PM »
Ha!

In 2018, when Harper turned down the Nats' offer, I did not yet know that Rizzo would sign Corbin, or that the Nats would win the World Series, or that the Nats would fail to sign Rendon, or that Strasburg would break down, or that the Nats would fail to sign Scherzer and Turner. Harper would have played 2019 -- the next season -- with all those guys.

And who knew that the Lerners were not serious?
The Lerners are very serious. They have their title. Be happy with baseball in DC.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #386: October 03, 2021, 02:56:05 PM »
If the Lerners though 10 years, 300 million with over half defered over 30 years, then they're just freaking dumb.

Harper was blatently obvious about what he wanted. He never hid it. The Lernera simply didnt want to pay it.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #387: October 04, 2021, 11:56:34 PM »
Mets will not bring Rojas back as manager next year

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #388: October 05, 2021, 12:02:56 AM »
Mets will not bring Rojas back as manager next year

Maybe they can hire Beltran again.

Offline welch

« Reply #389: October 05, 2021, 04:16:07 PM »
Rumors say that Mets will give up on Stroman. That would be a surprise.

Offline blue911

« Reply #390: October 05, 2021, 05:06:28 PM »
Rumors say that Mets will give up on Stroman. That would be a surprise.

He accepted a qualifying offer last year. I can’t imagine he wouldn’t at least want to explore free agency

Offline welch

« Reply #391: October 05, 2021, 05:26:42 PM »
He accepted a qualifying offer last year. I can’t imagine he wouldn’t at least want to explore free agency

The quote i saw said: "I want to be some place that wants me. The Cubs seem to want me". If so, yet another bit of Mets organizational stupidity.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #392: October 05, 2021, 05:32:04 PM »
The quote i saw said: "I want to be some place that wants me. The Cubs seem to want me". If so, yet another bit of Mets organizational stupidity.
Just did a Google search and in addition to the Cubs quote he has also said he is open to a return to Toronto. Sounds like he is just trying to drum up interest. Nothing wrong with that. I would not put too much stock into anything said now. Like any other free agent they will see what the bidding is. Highest bidder always wins. Would think there would be other teams interested in addition to NY, Toronto and Chicago.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #393: October 09, 2021, 05:09:18 PM »
Maybe they can hire Beltran again.
They should make Robinson Cano the manager.

Offline welch

« Reply #394: October 10, 2021, 06:42:56 PM »
They should make Robinson Cano the manager.

Cano's suspension is ending. What will the Mets do?

For that matter, Cohen just dropped out of his meeting with Theo Epstein because Epstein wanted as much as 3% ownership of the Mets. He probably has begun talking with Billy Beane, hoping that Beane does not want an ownership stake in whatever team might hire him.