Author Topic: So, I got the COVID  (Read 1084 times)

Offline MonsterUSMC

• GO NATS! GO TAR HEELS!!!
So, I got the COVID
« Topic Start: February 03, 2021, 04:33:23 PM »
Rough week here. 
My whole family has tested positive for COVID-19.  We are all doing well, except for my wife.  She lost her sense of smell and taste, and she is very tired and congested.  The rest of us are symptom free so far.
Anyone on here with experience or first-hand knowledge of what to expect?    Other than expect to make a bunch of posts on WNFF while bored in quarantine.  Thanks in advance.   :D

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: So, I got the COVID
« Reply #1: February 03, 2021, 04:35:39 PM »
at least two members have said they had it.  because health stuff is private, I will PM them to make sure they see your post. 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2: February 03, 2021, 04:40:46 PM »
Days 8-10 after symptom onset are typically the worst. If you can check your 02 sats I’d do it daily or if you feel bad. But it’s so variable. So it’s hard to say.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #3: February 03, 2021, 05:20:18 PM »
Rough week here. 
My whole family has tested positive for COVID-19.  We are all doing well, except for my wife.  She lost her sense of smell and taste, and she is very tired and congested.  The rest of us are symptom free so far.
Anyone on here with experience or first-hand knowledge of what to expect?    Other than expect to make a bunch of posts on WNFF while bored in quarantine.  Thanks in advance.   :D

I had it early on and if most are symptom free you are fortunate. I did lose my sense of small and taste but gained it back after I was discharged. Bluestreak is a physician and I would guess he knows more about the onset of symptoms. Fatigue is an ongoing result and it can take quite awhile to regain your energy level. Invest in an oxi meter to measure your oxygen level. It should be at least 95. Also take your  temps frequently and anything over 102 is worrisome. Good luck for a quick recovery. Also look into donating convalescent plasma at the Red Cross before you get vaccinated.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #4: February 03, 2021, 06:49:47 PM »
Hope you stay well USMC!

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #5: February 03, 2021, 07:57:05 PM »
Motrin, socks, hydrate. You'll be fine

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #6: February 04, 2021, 07:43:10 AM »
I had a mild case in December. It was very mild and lasted about a week. If I didn't lose my sense of smell and learn that I had been exposed, I wouldn't have thought it was COVID.

Once it was over I had extreme fatigue/exhaustion for about a month that came and went. That was weirder and harder to deal with for me than the primary virus or whatever. Apparently this is common.

Be well, friend!

Offline MonsterUSMC

« Reply #7: February 04, 2021, 09:07:53 AM »
Days 8-10 after symptom onset are typically the worst. If you can check your 02 sats I’d do it daily or if you feel bad. But it’s so variable. So it’s hard to say.
Thanks so much.  I am not sure what day I am on, as I was surprised to learn that I had it. 
My son had a slight fever and some stomach discomfort and out of an abundance of caution, my wife took him to get tested - to satisfy his school COVID protocol more than anything else.  Both my son and my wife were positive, so I got tested the next day, and of course I came back positive as well.
So far nothing to note, but I do remember last week, some soreness in my calves and shoulders after a workout that shouldn't have made me tired...also a weird shooting pain in my jaw of all places.  Maybe is was connected to COVID, maybe not. 
Thanks again for the info.

Offline MonsterUSMC

« Reply #8: February 04, 2021, 09:10:09 AM »
I had it early on and if most are symptom free you are fortunate. I did lose my sense of small and taste but gained it back after I was discharged. Bluestreak is a physician and I would guess he knows more about the onset of symptoms. Fatigue is an ongoing result and it can take quite awhile to regain your energy level. Invest in an oxi meter to measure your oxygen level. It should be at least 95. Also take your  temps frequently and anything over 102 is worrisome. Good luck for a quick recovery. Also look into donating convalescent plasma at the Red Cross before you get vaccinated.

Thanks for the info, and I will keep vigilant.  Unfortunately I can not donate blood or plasma due to some of the places Uncle Sam has seen fit to send me. The Red Cross won't take it.  I don't even pass their initial survey. 
Glad you are better.  Thanks again for sharing.

Offline MonsterUSMC

« Reply #9: February 04, 2021, 09:11:44 AM »
Hope you stay well USMC!

Thank you, imref.  So far, so good.  The worst part is being cooped up.  I would rather get out and run or something.  Now I pay people to get my groceries.   :lol:

Offline MonsterUSMC

« Reply #10: February 04, 2021, 09:15:19 AM »
I had a mild case in December. It was very mild and lasted about a week. If I didn't lose my sense of smell and learn that I had been exposed, I wouldn't have thought it was COVID.

Once it was over I had extreme fatigue/exhaustion for about a month that came and went. That was weirder and harder to deal with for me than the primary virus or whatever. Apparently this is common.

Be well, friend!

Thanks so much for the kind words.  I think the worst I have had so far is one night of chills, maybe for an hour or so.  Some soreness and a weird shooting pain in my jaw.  Otherwise, nothing at all.  I am assuming the worst is yet to come.  Maybe the fatigue you mentioned.  It seems to be hitting my wife hardest of all.  She lost smell/taste, has fevers and severe congestion.  She is also run down - very fatigued.  Still, things could be much worse. 
Glad you are over it, and thanks again for the info.

Offline MonsterUSMC

« Reply #11: February 04, 2021, 09:16:04 AM »
Motrin, socks, hydrate. You'll be fine

:hysterical:  This is AWESOME!!!  Slateman, You must be a Navy doc.   :hysterical:

Offline MonsterUSMC

« Reply #12: February 04, 2021, 09:16:38 AM »
at least two members have said they had it.  because health stuff is private, I will PM them to make sure they see your post.
Thanks much, JCA.  I do appreciate it.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #13: February 04, 2021, 09:23:56 AM »
:clap:

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #14: February 04, 2021, 09:50:34 AM »
Unfortunately I can not donate blood or plasma due to some of the places Uncle Sam has seen fit to send me. The Red Cross won't take it.  I don't even pass their initial survey. 

Check with INOVA Blood Services...Red Cross is just another way of saying Red Tape...

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #15: February 04, 2021, 09:55:50 AM »
:hysterical:  This is AWESOME!!!  Slateman, You must be a Navy doc.   :hysterical:
No, I just went to see them alot

Offline MonsterUSMC

« Reply #16: February 04, 2021, 08:59:28 PM »
Check with INOVA Blood Services...Red Cross is just another way of saying Red Tape...
Will do. Thanks

Offline MonsterUSMC

« Reply #17: February 04, 2021, 08:59:44 PM »
No, I just went to see them alot
Copy. Semper.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #18: February 11, 2021, 10:51:02 AM »
Hope you're doing OK.  My advice is to not wait until you are incapacitated and need an ambulance - hopefully you are past that point by now.     

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19: February 19, 2021, 10:53:53 AM »
nice to see you back posting, Monster.  How's it going for you and the family?

Offline MonsterUSMC

« Reply #20: March 22, 2021, 09:09:39 AM »
Thank you guys for the messages.  I am ok. 
I only had a weird pain shooting from my ear to my jaw, and some muscle soreness. 
My oldest son had no symptoms at all.
My youngest son was pretty much unscathed during the virus, but is experiencing some post-covid issues.
My wife lost her smell and taste and was hit pretty hard with fevers and what not, but nothing devastating.
Overall, I think we got off easy considering what others have had to deal with.
Again, thank you all for your concern.  GO NATS!!!

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #21: March 22, 2021, 12:32:40 PM »
glad you are doing well. welcome back!

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #22: March 22, 2021, 04:42:00 PM »
Hope the kid gets past it soon.

Welcome back.

Thank you guys for the messages.  I am ok. 
I only had a weird pain shooting from my ear to my jaw, and some muscle soreness. 
My oldest son had no symptoms at all.
My youngest son was pretty much unscathed during the virus, but is experiencing some post-covid issues.
My wife lost her smell and taste and was hit pretty hard with fevers and what not, but nothing devastating.
Overall, I think we got off easy considering what others have had to deal with.
Again, thank you all for your concern.  GO NATS!!!

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #23: March 23, 2021, 05:03:10 PM »
Happy that you have recovered, MonsterUSMC.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24: December 23, 2021, 11:15:56 AM »
This is as close to a public facing COVID thread as we have, so I will put a link to advice on what to do if you are vaxxed and test positive here so folks without uncensored access can see the link.

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2021/12/23/so-youre-vaccinated-and-you-just-tested-positive-for-covid-heres-what-to-do-next/?p1=hp_primary

The reason we have the COVID discussion in uncensored is because there's a lot of personal health discussion there.