Poll

How long in 2021 will Carter Kieboom last as the Nats third baseman?

Not to the end of Spring Training.  Replaced by trade, or someone beats him out.
5 (20.8%)
He'll be replaced by the end of May.  Quick hook after flailing.
10 (41.7%)
He'll be replaced by the end of July.  Either we upgrade to contend or want to try another guy we control next year.
0 (0%)
He'll make past 7/31, but we will try to another guy as a regular at 3rd by the end of the year.
0 (0%)
He will be a regular the entire year, either at 3rd or another infield position.
9 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Baseball Experiment - Carter Kieboom at 3d base (new poll)  (Read 6670 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
I'm sticking with 'out by the end of May'

Offline aspenbubba

I've switched my vote to out by end of May.

Smart man

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
I'm sticking with 'out by the end of May'

Me, too. Any sooner gives up on a guy who has been a top prospect. But with no sign that Kieboom can hit major league pitching, Memorial day is about as far as Rizzo can tolerate. I wish the Nats had considered MAT as a 3B!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
One thing you could try to do with Gyorko is sign him to a minor league contract with an out by the end of April or the end of May.  We should really know about CK by then.  If CK's not showing anything, then bring up Gyorko.  I know there's delays in the start of minor league seasons, but he can work at West Palm or wherever the minor leaguers train in the interim.

Online imref

Castro starting at 3rd today.

Davey:
“This doesn’t mean anything. Like I said, we just want to see what this looks like right now.”

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

Offline aspenbubba

Castro starting at 3rd today.

Davey:
What else is he going to say? I'm a little surprised that Garcia is starting at 2B but maybe Davey is giving him a shot to see if he can stick  rather than Mercer or Harrison receiving playing time there knowing what they can do.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
At this point, doesn't Davey almost have an obligation to try to get Harrison into the line up as often as possible, whether at 3d or 2d?  No other guys at 2d and 3d are hitting. As bad as Kieboom has looked, Garcia has been worse offensively, Mercer has shown nothing, and Perez has hit a hollow .260 with no BBs.  I can maybe see not wanting to waste a 40 man slot on Sanchez, Mercer or Perez at this point.  They do need a back up 2d/3d if they want to play Harrison a lot, but nothing CK or LG have done shows that it would be good for them to be up in the majors at this point.

Offline aspenbubba

At this point, doesn't Davey almost have an obligation to try to get Harrison into the line up as often as possible, whether at 3d or 2d?  No other guys at 2d and 3d are hitting. As bad as Kieboom has looked, Garcia has been worse offensively, Mercer has shown nothing, and Perez has hit a hollow .260 with no BBs.  I can maybe see not wanting to waste a 40 man slot on Sanchez, Mercer or Perez at this point.  They do need a back up 2d/3d if they want to play Harrison a lot, but nothing CK or LG have done shows that it would be good for them to be up in the majors at this point.

Except LG did hit well at first last season though he tailed off in the end. I believe Davey and Rizzo want Harrison as a PH and to fill in at a lot of different spots in the field. It was not their plan to have him play full time as they beleive those days are in the past. My thinking , and I know it is early, is they gambled on KieBUST and lost this season. There is a reason that LG, Perez and Sanchez are still in camp with a week to go. Yes, I know that the MiLB is over a month away and those who don't make the 26 man will simply stay in WPB and will report to their respective teams when they are assembled .

Offline Natsinpwc

Except LG did hit well at first last season though he tailed off in the end. I believe Davey and Rizzo want Harrison as a PH and to fill in at a lot of different spots in the field. It was not their plan to have him play full time as they beleive those days are in the past. My thinking , and I know it is early, is they gambled on KieBUST and lost this season. There is a reason that LG, Perez and Sanchez are still in camp with a week to go. Yes, I know that the MiLB is over a month away and those who don't make the 26 man will simply stay in WPB and will report to their respective teams when they are assembled .
Garcia's slash line last year was .276/.302/.366.  Better than Kieboom but not good.  Hitting good for a couple of weeks does not account for much in MLB.  He's still young but he looked overmatched. 

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Garcia's slash line last year was .276/.302/.366.  Better than Kieboom but not good.  Hitting good for a couple of weeks does not account for much in MLB.  He's still young but he looked overmatched.

Those kind of numbers kept 3KEspi in DC for 7 years...

Offline Natsinpwc

Those kind of numbers kept 3KEspi in DC for 7 years...
Bazooka arm. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

He hit better in September than he did in August.

Its really interesting how many fans cant recognize that Luis Garcia was a poor hitter last season. Well below average at second for wRC+ and OPS. He had a nice average, but was basically a slap hitter with no walks and no power.

Dude isnt ready and we need to stop pretending he is. Frankly, the organization as a whole needs to let players develop.

Online imref

He hit better in September than he did in August.

Its really interesting how many fans cant recognize that Luis Garcia was a poor hitter last season. Well below average at second for wRC+ and OPS. He had a nice average, but was basically a slap hitter with no walks and no power.

Dude isnt ready and we need to stop pretending he is. Frankly, the organization as a whole needs to let players develop.

It's not whether or not he's ready, it's whether or not he's going to hit better than Kieboom. If Garcia puts up .220 / .300 / .350 and Kieboom puts up .150 / .200 / .150, then it's a no brainer as to who gets the start.  There aren't any other options right now.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
If Garcia puts up .220 / .300 / .350 and Kieboom puts up .150 / .200 / .150, then it's a no brainer as to who gets the start.  There aren't any other options right now.
Harrison.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
So I’ve finally figured out what is wrong with Carter. He thinks too much, he is trying to show how smart he is and is too conservative with what he believes is the strike zone. Also he thinks too much.

He needs a Crash Davis talking to.

Offline Natsinpwc

So I’ve finally figured out what is wrong with Carter. He thinks too much, he is trying to show how smart he is and is too conservative with what he believes is the strike zone. Also he thinks too much.

That was often said of Mike Schmidt.  Just sayin.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

Davey even said they want him to be more aggressive early and less selective.  He showed he can work a walk, but they need him to jump on pitches early a bit more.

Online imref

Kieboom 0-1, K today
Garcia 2-3

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
Davey even said they want him to be more aggressive early and less selective.  He showed he can work a walk, but they need him to jump on pitches early a bit more.

He is also swinging and missing on meatballs too lol

Online imref

Online imref

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

Didn't even make it to the end of Spring Training...  :smh:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
So who's on third now?

Offline nfotiu