Poll

How long in 2021 will Carter Kieboom last as the Nats third baseman?

Not to the end of Spring Training.  Replaced by trade, or someone beats him out.
5 (20.8%)
He'll be replaced by the end of May.  Quick hook after flailing.
10 (41.7%)
He'll be replaced by the end of July.  Either we upgrade to contend or want to try another guy we control next year.
0 (0%)
He'll make past 7/31, but we will try to another guy as a regular at 3rd by the end of the year.
0 (0%)
He will be a regular the entire year, either at 3rd or another infield position.
9 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Baseball Experiment - Carter Kieboom at 3d base (new poll)  (Read 6673 times)

Offline Lazarchick 31

he's not really a 3d baseman.  You'll see Harrison or Castro there as a regular before Tomas.  This is just a test to see if he's versatile enough to play there in a pinch.  He was a butcher there for AZ.

Tomas can't be any worse with a glove than Carter is with a bat.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Garcia is doing well so far.

Offline Lazarchick 31

Going to have to do something at 3rd. Having an automatic out 8-9-1 or 7-8-9 depending where Robles bats is going to kill this team.

Offline NatNasty

I vote for Should've kept Rendong.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
I vote for Should've kept Rendong.

We all wish that were possible.

Offline imref

Kieboom should be playing everyday all game for the next week or so to see if he can earn the 3B slot.

Online aspenbubba

Now I'm wondering if KieBUST will make it to Memorial Day given his lackluster performance in ST.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Now I'm wondering if KieBUST will make it to Memorial Day given his lackluster performance in ST.
hard to get excited about Robles and not get concerned about CK. That said, we probably should be a bit moderate about both.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

He's trending towards being cAAArter. 

Offline UMDNats

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
He's trending towards being cAAArter. 
He's only 23 and doesn't turn 24 until September. They called him up way too early in 2019. It's one thing to rush Bryce Harper and Juan Soto, but Kieboom just wasn't ready. I'd like to see them send him down and tell him there is zero chance he is back until late in the season. See if he the player development staff can fill some holes in his game.

Offline UMDNats

We haven't really had a high-profile position player turn into a bust in a while, so we were due. Carter just fails like every test (look test, stats test, it factor test) as a prospect now. Rizzo has placed a lot on Kieboom (and Robles to a lesser extent) becoming at least an MLB regular and Carter just looks like crap. Our player development staff as a whole doesn't seem to be all that great so I don't expect more seasoning and coaching to really help him out in the near future.

Offline UMDNats

He's only 23 and doesn't turn 24 until September. They called him up way too early in 2019. It's one thing to rush Bryce Harper and Juan Soto, but Kieboom just wasn't ready. I'd like to see them send him down and tell him there is zero chance he is back until late in the season. See if he the player development staff can fill some holes in his game.

He was 21 in 2019 with 500 AAA at-bats. I don't really think he was rushed, definitely not to the extent Soto and Bryce got bumped up. Luis Garcia got rushed last year.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
He was 21 in 2019 with 500 AAA at-bats. I don't really think he was rushed, definitely not to the extent Soto and Bryce got bumped up. Luis Garcia got rushed last year.
21 is young for Triple A. Garcia was only "rushed" because of COVID. He would have spent most of a normal season in Double A

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Not to the end of Spring Training.  Replaced by trade, or someone beats him out.

This may be the winner...if he lasts that long...

Offline imref

Probably greater than a non-zero chance of Perez getting the Harrison bench slot, and Harrison starting at 3rd.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Right, so cAAArter.  Playing in AAA isn't bad at 23.  It's still quite young for the level.  I've been on record repeatedly here saying he needed time.  He still needs time. 

When people are gnashing their teeth about him, they need to realize that if he'd gone to college he'd have been a 2019 draftee and - even absent COVID - he probably wouldn't have played above AA right now.  There's nothing wrong with being cAAArter.  Just like Garcia should also be in the minors.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Right, so cAAArter.  Playing in AAA isn't bad at 23.  It's still quite young for the level.  I've been on record repeatedly here saying he needed time.  He still needs time. 

When people are gnashing their teeth about him, they need to realize that if he'd gone to college he'd have been a 2019 draftee and - even absent COVID - he probably wouldn't have played above AA right now.  There's nothing wrong with being cAAArter.  Just like Garcia should also be in the minors.
I can agree with you, but that puts 3rd Base into a new category -

White Whale 2.0

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022

It's fine to be cAAArter at 23.

If at 24 and 25 he is cAAAArter, then we gotta think somewhere else for the long term.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Interestingly enough, with Suarez now playing SS, you wonder if they'd be interested with in a move for Kieboom plus some pitching not named Cavalli / Rutledge?  Could add Castro to the package so they'd have a 2021 starter while Kieboom plays a year in the minors at his natural position.  We could probably get by with Harrison as the regular at 2d with Perez or Mercer as the backup while Garcia plays in the minors.  OTOH, we can possibly hold off on this move for a couple of months . . .

Online Dave in Fairfax

So, I was watching the film classic Maximum Overdrive recently. Am I the only one to notice a resemblance between Carter Kieboom and Yeardley Smith, AKA the voice of Lisa Simpson (and a hugely annoying character in Maximum Overdrive)?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

So, I was watching the film classic Maximum Overdrive recently. Am I the only one to notice a resemblance between Carter Kieboom and Yeardley Smith, AKA the voice of Lisa Simpson (and a hugely annoying character in Maximum Overdrive)?

(Image removed from quote.)

To answer your question, you are most likely the only one to whom that has occurred.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
I suspect so, yes.

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Kind of a mystery to me why Jedd Gyorko hasn't been signed by somebody.  Dude had 2000 innings of average D at 3rd over the past 5 years, and, while 2019 was horrible, has been an .800+ OPS guy for 4 out of the past 5 years. 

Dougherty on the loud whispers about CK.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/03/19/carter-kieboom-washington-nationals-third-base-options/

Neither Castro nor Garcia have gotten playing time at 3d this year.  Really the best alternative to CK on the roster is Harrison.  Were he to be the regular, then a guy like Mercer or Perez needs to make the 26 man to be the primary backup at 2d/SS/3rd.  Castro has not played much 3rd.  That'd be a defensive downgrade from Kieboom.  Garcia hasn't shown he can hit better than Kieboom for more than a short stretch in August last year and really needs to be kept in the middle infield in the minors rather than rushed.

Gyorko to me seems the obvious fix.  Sign him if he's in shape, get him some PAs in West Palm in camp.  He probably will not be ready, but Harrison or perhaps Kieboom can play 2 weeks while Gyorko gets ready.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I'm allowing folks to change votes in the poll.  Was 4 for replaced by end of Spring, 9 out by May, 10 lasts the whole year. 

I've switched my vote to out by end of May.