Poll

How long in 2021 will Carter Kieboom last as the Nats third baseman?

Not to the end of Spring Training.  Replaced by trade, or someone beats him out.
5 (20.8%)
He'll be replaced by the end of May.  Quick hook after flailing.
10 (41.7%)
He'll be replaced by the end of July.  Either we upgrade to contend or want to try another guy we control next year.
0 (0%)
He'll make past 7/31, but we will try to another guy as a regular at 3rd by the end of the year.
0 (0%)
He will be a regular the entire year, either at 3rd or another infield position.
9 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Baseball Experiment - Carter Kieboom at 3d base (new poll)  (Read 6675 times)

Offline UMDNats

Which is exactly my point. They don't have the benefit to wait 2 years to see what Carter is. Which again leads me back to my point. If Rizzo did see Kieboom as opening day/all 2021 season 3B, why is Nats twitter all reporting that he's readily available via trade.

because he is one of our only "valuable" trade pieces and most rumors have him in deals for established 3Bs. trade a guy who may be good in 3 years for a guy who is good now at the same position. it's also unclear how much he actually is involved in potential deals because nothing clearly has transpired. teams are likely asking for him, we don't know for sure if rizzo is including him.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
We easily have the benefit of 2 years after winning a WS in 2019

Again, Carter is not going to be the difference between being over .500, winning the division or making the playoffs, advancing in the playoffs ect.

We have people already on the roster that can play 3b and sit in the bottom half of the lineup.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Which is exactly my point. They don't have the benefit to wait 2 years to see what Carter is. Which again leads me back to my point. If Rizzo did see Kieboom as opening day/all 2021 season 3B, why is Nats twitter all reporting that he's readily available via trade.
because he would have been moved in a deal for Suarez if the deal could have been done for one pitching prospect other than Cavalli or Rutledge.  Rizzo is not going to trade his best pitching prospect and a guy who likely is mlb ready in the deal.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
He'll get a couple months and then the Nationals go out and dump him to a team desperate to unload salary in the summer.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline MonsterUSMC

• GO NATS! GO TAR HEELS!!!
I will swing away on this one and guess Kieboom will make some key adjustments and step up at the plate.  He will be our every day started at 3rd base...of course, I don't have a crystal ball.

Offline Sirjesse

I will swing away on this one and guess Kieboom will make some key adjustments and step up at the plate.  He will be our every day started at 3rd base...of course, I don't have a crystal ball.

My fear is he muddles along just enough to keep his job but keep us out of the playoffs. 240 to 260, 10 to 15 hr, yada yada. Then again maybe the rest of the lineup can carry him.

Offline aspenbubba

My fear is he muddles along just enough to keep his job but keep us out of the playoffs. 240 to 260, 10 to 15 hr, yada yada. Then again maybe the rest of the lineup can carry him.
If he does what you predict than the rest of the line up doesn't have to carry him . Of course, it is predicated on the lineup hitting on all 8 cylinders.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
By the way, the poll is interesting so far in that no one has taken the we decide to upgrade at the trade deadline because we are in contention.  I sort of figured that was the most logical time to pull a switcheroo, but the folks who are most skeptical of Kieboom side with a quicker hook.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Mark Zuckerman
@MarkZuckerman
Carter Kieboom says the groin strain he had at the start of the 2020 season wasn't a significant hindrance the rest of the way. Ended the season with a fractured hand, needed some time to recover from that. But really pleased with the work he did this winter on his swing.

Offline aspenbubba

Online Natsinpwc

Ressurected from the MAT thread it is now a cerain death knell. Good Bye Carter.
He's gonna go KA-BOOM. 

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
I can't believe so many have given up on a guy who has so few plate appearances. Give the guy a legitimate chance to prove himself. After all Rizzo and Dave see something. Open your eyes people.  :popcorn:

Online Natsinpwc

I can't believe so many have given up on a guy who has so few plate appearances. Give the guy a legitimate chance to prove himself. After all Rizzo and Dave see something. Open your eyes people.  :popcorn:
I said he was going to explode this year. 

Offline Duke of Earl

There's a lot of ground between giving up on and putting complete faith in a guy.  Nats brain trust has decided that he is the man to play third base, nobody else need apply.  I have a lot of faith in Rizzo, but he could have signed Cabrerra cheap, and if Kieboom cannot handle the job I'm going to be pissed.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
There's a lot of ground between giving up on and putting complete faith in a guy.  Nats brain trust has decided that he is the man to play third base, nobody else need apply.  I have a lot of faith in Rizzo, but he could have signed Cabrerra cheap, and if Kieboom cannot handle the job I'm going to be pissed.
Harrison, Perez, and Mercer are the insurance policies.

Offline aspenbubba

He's gonna go KA-BOOM. 
I hope you are right but my money is on KaBUST by Memorial Day

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Not starting at third today

Offline NatsAllThe Way

He hit a triple today.  He's ready.

Online Slateman

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkZuckerman/status/1366808005187108873?s=20

So .... just so we're clear, he pulled his groin worse than the training staff thought. Then he broke his hand. Then he got LASIK.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkZuckerman/status/1366808005187108873?s=20

So .... just so we're clear, he pulled his groin worse than the training staff thought. Then he broke his hand. Then he got LASIK.
Then Thanos had each defective part removed and replaced.

Offline Expos

Who starts at 3B?
« Reply #122: March 06, 2021, 03:48:28 PM »

Yasmani Thomas looks good. I hope he takes the reigns over Carter Kieboom.

If Thomas can secure the job our lineup looks pretty solid.

1. CF- Robles
2. RF- Soto
3. SS- Turner
4. 1B- Bell / Zimmerman
5. LF- Schwarber / Hernandez
6. 2B- Castro / Harrison
7. 3B- Thomas / Kieboom
8. C- Gomes / Avilia

That's a nice looking lineup.

Online Slateman

Re: Who starts at 3B?
« Reply #123: March 06, 2021, 03:56:27 PM »
Kieboom

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Yasmani Thomas looks good. I hope he takes the reigns over Carter Kieboom.

If Thomas can secure the job our lineup looks pretty solid.

1. CF- Robles
2. RF- Soto
3. SS- Turner
4. 1B- Bell / Zimmerman
5. LF- Schwarber / Hernandez
6. 2B- Castro / Harrison
7. 3B- Thomas / Kieboom
8. C- Gomes / Avilia

That's a nice looking lineup.
he's not really a 3d baseman.  You'll see Harrison or Castro there as a regular before Tomas.  This is just a test to see if he's versatile enough to play there in a pinch.  He was a butcher there for AZ.