Poll

How long in 2021 will Carter Kieboom last as the Nats third baseman?

Not to the end of Spring Training.  Replaced by trade, or someone beats him out.
5 (20.8%)
He'll be replaced by the end of May.  Quick hook after flailing.
10 (41.7%)
He'll be replaced by the end of July.  Either we upgrade to contend or want to try another guy we control next year.
0 (0%)
He'll make past 7/31, but we will try to another guy as a regular at 3rd by the end of the year.
0 (0%)
He will be a regular the entire year, either at 3rd or another infield position.
9 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Baseball Experiment - Carter Kieboom at 3d base (new poll)  (Read 6770 times)

Offline blue911

The medical staff still stinks:

Strain is a tear. It’s always been a tear, it’ll always be a tear. What is important is if Kieboom complained of pain and they diagnosed a grade 2 as a grade 1. Although I can’t imagine Kieboom is so tough he could play through a grade 2 strain.

Offline Natsinpwc

Question for me is will this become a chronic issue.

Offline Natsinpwc

Strain is a tear. It’s always been a tear, it’ll always be a tear. What is important is if Kieboom complained of pain and they diagnosed a grade 2 as a grade 1. Although I can’t imagine Kieboom is so tough he could play through a grade 2 strain.
If you read the article it goes into that. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Yeah he explains the different grades. We’ll have to wait and see how bad it was and if there any further confirmation. He does say Kieboom is fully healed.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
He does say Kieboom is fully healed.

Like Zim is every year?

Offline imref

Like Zim is every year?

everyone is in the best shape of their life when they arrive at spring training, just like everyone is innocent in prison. :)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
everyone is in the best shape of their life when they arrive at spring training,

You would think but that's not a given. People get injured every month of the year and they have lingering issues from the past season(s).

Offline imref

You would think but that's not a given. People get injured every month of the year and they have lingering issues from the past season(s).

I'm being facetious

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
That’s brutal if they missed a tear.
well, aren't muscle strains actually tears? 

A strain is also a stretch or tear, but it happens in a muscle or a tendon. Tendons link muscles to the bones.
https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/understanding-sprains-strains#1

and
Strain: Muscle or tendon injury

A strain is the overstretching or tearing of a muscle or tendon, which are the fibers that connect the muscles to the bones.
Tear: Ligament, muscle or tendon injury

Tears are the ripping of fibrous tissue that can occur in the ligaments, muscles or tendons from similar activities that cause fibers to overstretch, but the diagnosis is more serious and muscle and tendon tears could take multiple months to heal. “Typically, the worse a tear, the more inflammation and pain a person will experience, and the longer it will take for the injury to heal,” Mufich said.
https://vitalrecord.tamhsc.edu/differences-sprain-strain-tear/

Sounds like it is sort of a matter of degrees.  More or less, if it is a tear it is something that they ice, rest, and play through, they call it a strain, and if they need more rest and can't play through it, they're going to call it a tear.

Offline blue911

What article? The only citation was a tweet.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
What, then, does Kieboom need to show this spring? He needs to show continued comfort in the field. But more importantly, he needs to show a more aggressive and productive approach at the plate.

Though he impressively didn’t chase many pitches out of the zone last season - he drew 17 walks in 122 plate appearances - Kieboom often was too patient, letting good fastballs go early in the count. Manager Davey Martinez wants him to be more aggressive and go after those pitches and not leave himself in so many two-strike counts.

“For me, it’s about getting back to who you are and don’t try to make big adjustments. Just make very simple adjustments,” Martinez said at season’s end. “That’s something we talked about, and he’s going to work on this winter: Just keep it simple. You hit before. You’re going to hit again.”
https://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pastime/2021/02/spring-training-storylines-another-chance-for-kieboom.html

Guy had a 15% BB rate last year, so trading a few walks for some more driven balls should be the next step.

Offline Natsinpwc

What article? The only citation was a tweet.
Google is your friend. 

Offline Lazarchick 31

My question is why is it pretty much common public knowledge that Rizzo is open to trading Kieboom if he's the long term solution at 3B vs the likes of Rutledge, Cavalli and Cate.

Offline UMDNats

easier to find a third baseman than good starting pitchers

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
easier to find a third baseman than good starting pitchers
It's not, but okay

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
My question is why is it pretty much common public knowledge that Rizzo is open to trading Kieboom if he's the long term solution at 3B vs the likes of Rutledge, Cavalli and Cate.

Because they won it all in 2019 and was the oldest team in baseball. And the horses that brought them there and will still be on the roster in 2021 (except Soto) are getting older.

Offline Natsinpwc

Because they won it all in 2019 and was the oldest team in baseball. And the horses that brought them there and will still be on the roster in 2021 (except Soto) are getting older.
Soto is not getting older? Nice.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
Soto is not getting older? Nice.

Lol, you know what i mean. The decline of Max is likely sooner than Soto leaving via FA

Offline Natsinpwc

Lol, you know what i mean. The decline of Max is likely sooner than Soto leaving via FA
I figure he’s really 29 so hoping he can stay that age.

Offline UMDNats

It's not, but okay

depends on definition of "good" starting pitcher

we can cobble together platoons at 3B and be fine but thinking is you need one of our 3 top pitching prospects to become at least a 2-4 WAR pitcher and you can find guys to add up to 2-3 WAR at 3B easier

Offline Lazarchick 31

Which is exactly my point. They don't have the benefit to wait 2 years to see what Carter is. Which again leads me back to my point. If Rizzo did see Kieboom as opening day/all 2021 season 3B, why is Nats twitter all reporting that he's readily available via trade.

Offline Natsinpwc

Which is exactly my point. They don't have the benefit to wait 2 years to see what Carter is. Which again leads me back to my point. If Rizzo did see Kieboom as opening day/all 2021 season 3B, why is Nats twitter all reporting that he's readily available via trade.
Probably Twitter is wrong. At this point he doesn’t have much value. Might as well hang on to him.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

We easily have the benefit of 2 years after winning a WS in 2019