Poll

How long in 2021 will Carter Kieboom last as the Nats third baseman?

Not to the end of Spring Training.  Replaced by trade, or someone beats him out.
5 (20.8%)
He'll be replaced by the end of May.  Quick hook after flailing.
10 (41.7%)
He'll be replaced by the end of July.  Either we upgrade to contend or want to try another guy we control next year.
0 (0%)
He'll make past 7/31, but we will try to another guy as a regular at 3rd by the end of the year.
0 (0%)
He will be a regular the entire year, either at 3rd or another infield position.
9 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Baseball Experiment - Carter Kieboom at 3d base (new poll)  (Read 6666 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

I think paying 2 years - with less in '22 after Jansen's off - is more likely.  Price's deal is up after '22, which seems to be the way to get back under.  Question really is what the thresholds will be down the line.
I don't think Kershaw is getting a $31MM AAV contract after this one.  I don't know if the bullpen is good enough to go with May as a closer, but there may be a chance to save on the $16MM for Jansen.  Heck, they could have had Hand for $10MM.  They are going to need  to pay for a shortstop, and Bellinger will get expensive, but most of the rest of the guys likely to be over $10MM AAV are locked in.  They are down to $124MM for 2022 at this point, so they will mix / match the lesser spots on the roster, I think.

Offline Sirjesse

Re: 2020-21 Offseason
« Reply #51: February 12, 2021, 09:31:15 PM »
League sure is active with us silent. Hope that’s a sign we are tossing the kitchen sink at Justin turner while everyone else is throwing a few million here and there filling out the roster.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Re: 2020-21 Offseason
« Reply #52: February 12, 2021, 09:33:05 PM »
League sure is active with us silent. Hope that’s a sign we are tossing the kitchen sink at Justin turner while everyone else is throwing a few million here and there filling out the roster.
Justin Turner isnt coming to DC and we'd be stupid to give a 36 year old a multi-year deal

Offline ChiliPalmer14

• 2019 was neat
« Reply #53: February 12, 2021, 10:26:52 PM »
Justin Turner isnt coming to DC and we'd be stupid to give a 36 year old a multi-year deal

Agreed.  Only way Turner ends up in DC is if no team offers multiple years and the Nats throw $15M out there for one and a mutual option for 2022.  But I'd love to see it.  I think Suarez is possible if the Reds accept similar to what Pittsburgh took for Bell. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #54: February 12, 2021, 10:55:33 PM »
Agreed.  Only way Turner ends up in DC is if no team offers multiple years and the Nats throw $15M out there for one and a mutual option for 2022.  But I'd love to see it.  I think Suarez is possible if the Reds accept similar to what Pittsburgh took for Bell. 

Lol, hey, maybe the A's will trade us Chapman for similar to what Pittsburgh took for Bell

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #55: February 12, 2021, 11:20:05 PM »
Chapman seems like the idea "Rizzo guy" - 3 years of control and fairly cheap ($6.5 million for 2022).  What would 3 years of around .250 / .340 / .500 cost us?

I'd imagine Kieboom + Garcia + one of our top pitching prospects at a minimum?

Offline imref

« Reply #56: February 13, 2021, 12:33:39 PM »
Heyman says the Dodgers and Brewers have both made multiyear offers to Turner and that LAD is still the most likely landing spot.

Offline Sirjesse

« Reply #57: February 13, 2021, 02:19:12 PM »
Heyman says the Dodgers and Brewers have both made multiyear offers to Turner and that LAD is still the most likely landing spot.

Looks like we ride with Kieboom. If he struggles early and we are competitive maybe finish emptying the minors for Suarez.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #58: February 13, 2021, 02:25:24 PM »
Looks like we ride with Kieboom. If he struggles early and we are competitive maybe finish emptying the minors for Suarez.
Or we just give the Cubs a prospect in May or June for Bryant.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #59: February 13, 2021, 02:46:56 PM »
This board can be very confusing sometimes.

Often times it seems we aren't very high on the current roster. Not compared to the rest of MLB, the N.L., or even in our own division.

Yet somehow at the same time we are afraid that Kieboom is gonna hold us back from greatness. The only way you don't want a high projected prospect in your lineup and on the field is if you believe they are in a win now mode.

So which is it.

Judging him before he has played a whole 162 is insane. He has a whooping 138 at bats at the mlb level.

He has no reason to go back to AAA unless it is his defense. But that isn't the focus of his criticism currently.

Let him play

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #60: February 13, 2021, 03:39:01 PM »

Often times it seems we aren't very high on the current roster. Not compared to the rest of MLB, the N.L., or even in our own division.

Yet somehow at the same time we are afraid that Kieboom is gonna hold us back from greatness. The only way you don't want a high projected prospect in your lineup and on the field is if you believe they are in a win now mode.

So which is it.

Judging him before he has played a whole 162 is insane. He has a whooping 138 at bats at the mlb level.

He has no reason to go back to AAA unless it is his defense. But that isn't the focus of his criticism currently.

Let him play
He will get a chance but not the whole season if he produces like last year. Strike outs and such are one thing but you can’t have a total lack of power from a guy at a corner infield position. The lack of power was strange given his minor league stats.

Offline imref

« Reply #61: February 13, 2021, 04:22:49 PM »
I hope Kieboom figures it out, but he just looked so lost in trying to hit breaking stuff that I'm not optimistic. We'll see.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #62: February 13, 2021, 04:45:09 PM »
I hope Kieboom figures it out, but he just looked so lost in trying to hit breaking stuff that I'm not optimistic. We'll see.

And he looked completely overwhelmed and baffled with what he was up against.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #63: February 13, 2021, 09:05:38 PM »
Chapman seems like the idea "Rizzo guy" - 3 years of control and fairly cheap ($6.5 million for 2022).  What would 3 years of around .250 / .340 / .500 cost us?

I'd imagine Kieboom + Garcia + one of our top pitching prospects at a minimum?

Way more than that.  Chapman is the best defensive third baseman in baseball (possibly excepting Arenado).  Prior to last year's injury, he was an 8-WAR player 2 years in a row.  That's top-10 in MLB level.  In terms of trade value (skill level and team control), a fairly close parallel would be Cody Bellinger.  I know Chapman plays on a team nobody watches on the West Coast, but that's the kind of haul you're talking.   Speaking thereof, the Dodgers would be a good match for Chapman in a trade, and they have a lot more to offer in terms of prospects.

Remember, the Nationals have the worst system in baseball.  If the A's want to trade him for prospects, they'd do better pretty much anywhere else. 

Offline Sirjesse

« Reply #64: February 13, 2021, 09:09:31 PM »
Turner north of 30 m at 36, good for him. Crazy taxes for dodgers.

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #65: February 13, 2021, 09:10:54 PM »
Turner north of 30 m at 36, good for him. Crazy taxes for dodgers.

Dodgers pulling out stops to repeat.  Imagine that. 

Offline Lazarchick 31

« Reply #66: February 13, 2021, 09:11:02 PM »

So which is it.

Let him play

Did you see him play. He looks completely and utterly lost at the plate. 100 ABs and only 1 XBH lol. I mean come on man lol

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67: February 14, 2021, 11:59:30 AM »
two ifs for that to happen.

He just has not had enough plate appearances in the majors to say he will not be as good as the scouting reports say he is.  Scouts aren't everything, prospects bust, but there's also enough hall of famers, let alone average everyday players, who start rough their first half year in the majors.  Even Alex Rodriguez's first 200+ PAs had him striking out 30% of the time, refusing walks, and with an average under .230.  He was bad enough that Luis Sojo played SS in the Mariners' run through the playoffs in 1995. 

Kieboom's 1 XBH in 2020 looks just too weird to say this guy will never hit for middling power. It is just so far out of line with his hitting profile in the minors.  It really does look like he concentrated on not swinging at crud last year and boosted his BB rate.  I'm sure Long and Davey are going to have him work on being more normally aggressive. 

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #68: February 14, 2021, 12:32:30 PM »
Did you see him play. He looks completely and utterly lost at the plate. 100 ABs and only 1 XBH lol. I mean come on man lol

Yes I did see him play.

I also seen MAT play and was given way more at bats (+700) before he had a respectable season and many at bats when he was trying to find it again

I remember we gave up on Severino at about 300 at bats total and he found his way in Baltimore.

If they want to trade Carter then fine. But saying he is a bust, or even having that in the conversation at this point seems simply silly.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #69: February 14, 2021, 01:55:48 PM »
two ifs for that to happen.

Kieboom's 1 XBH in 2020 looks just too weird to say this guy will never hit for middling power. It is just so far out of line with his hitting profile in the minors.  It really does look like he concentrated on not swinging at crud last year and boosted his BB rate.  I'm sure Long and Davey are going to have him work on being more normally aggressive. 

I am not a Kieboom fan and really hate the thought of him as the OD starter at 3B. IIRC didn't he have two homers in his debut with the Nats and one was the first game he played with his parents in attendance?

I suggested the poll for who will be our starting 3B and now I'm suggesting that comeone post a poll of when Rizzo will make a move to bring in a 3B to replace Kieboom.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Re: Who will be the Opening Day Third Baseman?
« Reply #70: February 14, 2021, 04:15:05 PM »
Who will start at 3rd On OD?

Carter Kieboom
    24 (70.6%)
Josh Harrison
    1 (2.9%)
Starlin Castro
    1 (2.9%)
Eugenio Suarez
    1 (2.9%)
Kris Bryant
    1 (2.9%)
Other
    3 (8.8%)
Luis Garcia
    1 (2.9%)
Ryan Zimmerman
    0 (0%)
Anthony Rendon
    2 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

The results of our poll on who will be the starting 3d baseman this year.

Since as of 2/14 it seems that, unless there's a trade, it is likely Carter Kieboom to start the year, I'm switching around the poll as requested by Aspenbubba.  It's more how long will Kieboom last now.

Offline imref

The medical staff still stinks:

Talk Nats ⚾ @TalkNats
58m
Breaking: A #Nats source told us on a condition of anonymity that Carter Kieboom played on what was thought to be a strained groin during the 2020 season and it turned out he was playing with a GROIN TEAR which explains the lack of power, hitting struggles, issues running, etc.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Somebody tore my groin at his age, it would throw off my performance, too.

Offline Sirjesse

The medical staff still stinks:

That’s brutal if they missed a tear.

Offline aspenbubba

Is the info from Talk Nats verifiable and are they a totally reliable source?