Author Topic: MASN seppuku - cuts staff, coverage, but frees Gary Thorne  (Read 4791 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
You Go Kolko!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
:hysterical:

Dan Kolko
@masnKolko
·
3h
An update for all of you:

I have officially joined the Nationals organization, marking by far the worst signing the team has made all offseason. I’ll be bouncing around in a number of roles on a number of platforms. You’ll see & hear a lot of me. I’m sorry about that in advance.
Show this thread
first thing Kolko needs to do is to change his twitter handle from @masnkolko to @fmasnKolko

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
first thing Kolko needs to do is to change his twitter handle from @masnkolko to @fmasnKolko

I wonder if his buddy JW is covering his salary for the Lerners?

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Excuse me

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RingCentral_Coliseum

At least some people consider that one kind of a lovable dump (can't give a personal testimony since I haven't been there).

The Trop is as soulless as it is ugly.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
The Athletic is reporting that MASN will now air Nationals and Orioles ST games, the Nats have 9 left after today, the Orioles have 11.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
The Athletic is reporting that MASN will now air Nationals and Orioles ST games, the Nats have 9 left after today, the Orioles have 11.

"MASN will be broadcasting the Nationals’ final two games of the spring later this month, the network announced today.

The Nats’ March 28 game against the Cardinals and March 29 Grapefruit League finale against the Astros will be televised from The Ballpark of the Palm Beaches. Both broadcasts begin at 1 p.m. EDT."

Offline imref

"MASN will be broadcasting the Nationals’ final two games of the spring later this month, the network announced today.

The Nats’ March 28 game against the Cardinals and March 29 Grapefruit League finale against the Astros will be televised from The Ballpark of the Palm Beaches. Both broadcasts begin at 1 p.m. EDT."

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Bring back Clint Khoury

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
In contrast to MASN, this is what a valuable RSN does for its game and around game broadcast.
https://www.boston.com/sports/media/2021/03/19/nesn-to-add-ellis-burks-mo-vaughn-and-kevin-youkilis-to-red-sox-broadcast

Former Red Sox hitting stars Ellis Burks, Mo Vaughn and Kevin Youkilis will be part of the network’s coverage this season. Burks, who played for the Red Sox from 1987-93 and again in 2004, will be an occasional color analyst on the game broadcasts along with Jerry Remy and Dennis Eckersley. Burks will also be part of the pregame and postgame studio programs.

Vaughn, who was with the Red Sox from 1991-98 and won the 1995 American League Most Valuable Player award, will be a studio analyst once a week. Youkilis, a member of the Red Sox from 2004-12, will also be a weekly studio analyst.
Play-by-play voice Dave O’Brien and analysts Jerry Remy and Dennis Eckersley all return in their familiar prominent roles. NESN plans to use the three-man booth at least as much as it did last year during the 60-game season, when the trio received rave reviews for their candor and chemistry in a frustrating season.
Jahmai Webster is the in-game reporter. Returning studio analysts include Jim Rice, Tim Wakefield, and Lenny DiNardo.

So I count 2 hall of famers, plus a guy who should have been a fringe of the discussion at least (Burks), plus a local hero (DiNardo), weekly studio appearances of 3 long time players (2 named and one who I'm not mentioning :) ), and regular gigs for Wakefield and Remy (who is a cult figure).

I can't imagine the equivalent for MASN here, but being too cheap for Bo, Kolko, etc... is an underinvestment. 

Offline HalfSmokes

I’m not sure MASN cares enough to try. NESN presumably gets good enough rating that advertising revenue is a significant factor. I think MASN is all carriage fees with viewership being almost irrelevant

Offline nfotiu

I’m not sure MASN cares enough to try. NESN presumably gets good enough rating that advertising revenue is a significant factor. I think MASN is all carriage fees with viewership being almost irrelevant
Agreed, and a lot of the motivation from NESN is to promote the team in general and keep people engaged.  MASN obviously isn't run with those goals.  I think I'll take MASN over the Sinclair/Bally RSNs though.   I imagine they will become a mess of betting overlays and weird political injections.

I haven't heard NESNs guys, but generally hate 3 person booths.   They always end up competing for air time, and blabbing about everything but the game.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

MASN cut down to doing only doing two spring games and they can’t even pull that off without issues. What a crapshow.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
I haven't heard NESNs guys, but generally hate 3 person booths.   They always end up competing for air time, and blabbing about everything but the game.

They could let 2 guys go and just hire FP...get the same effect for half the price...

Offline GNatsNoMore

And I hated to think of the MLB without a team in DC, I hated it for 34 years, and it was in large part due to the Orioles.  They can't move away fast enough for me.
This.

Offline machpost

DISH Network is dropping MASN as of 4/1.

Offline miller10

DISH Network is dropping MASN as of 4/1.

MASN is so far behind the times.  I found a good streaming site (since I have YouTubeTV) and am fine with that.  If they ever offer a pay streaming service and an app that's on my TV I would probably pay for it but for now they can take a hike.

Offline imref

Offline Copecwby20

FINALLY!!!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nationals/comments/mhpxl8/masn_announces_free_streaming_for_all/

happy April first everyone

You got me good, you freaker.

I almost cancelled my account as that was a topic of discussion with the lady friend last night. I had told her that I would cancel my cable plan if I could stream Nats games.

To be honest, MASN would probably make more from me directly than whatever pittance Xfinity is giving them from my increasingly engorged package.

Offline imref

Kolko is back:

Dan Kolko
@masnKolko
·
1h
Nats fans: Wanted to give you a heads up that I’ll be part of MASN’s Nats coverage this year, as in-game reporter & a host of the pre/postgame shows. I love working with Bob & FP, and I’m excited to be back with them for another season. Thanks to the Nats for making this happen!