Author Topic: MASN seppuku - cuts staff, coverage, but frees Gary Thorne  (Read 4783 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
And if you’re a double amputee that doesn’t need to pee
Fenway's seats are perfect if you were around when the Titanic sunk and suffered from a diet that was both lower in calories and poor in nutrients.  But hey, they made it through the Spanish Flu, so maybe they're one up on us.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

that's a great description of Fenway.  I have only been to one game there, but I did learn things about my knees that I didn't know before the game.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
I'm surprised that so many here are operating under this delusion that the orioles will leave Baltimore or Camden Yards. Carry on.  :popcorn:

If they can move the New York baseball Giants...if they can move the Brooklyn Dodgers...if they can move the Oakland/LA Raiders...if they can move the Minneapolis Lakers (with five NBA titles in their first dozen seasons)....

Nothing of that sort is impossible.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
If they can move the New York baseball Giants...if they can move the Brooklyn Dodgers...if they can move the Oakland/LA Raiders...if they can move the Minneapolis Lakers (with five NBA titles in their first dozen seasons)....

There'd be a foodfight of teams wanting to get into Camden Yards. All of the teams you mentioned played in dumps.

Online HalfSmokes

There'd be a foodfight of teams wanting to get into Camden Yards. All of the teams you mentioned played in dumps.

It’s a low revenue stadium in a small poor market

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
It’s a low revenue stadium in a small poor market
DC can support 2 teams.

Offline GataNats

Fenway's seats are perfect if you were around when the Titanic sunk and suffered from a diet that was both lower in calories and poor in nutrients.  But hey, they made it through the Spanish Flu, so maybe they're one up on us.

No reason to cater to fat bodies

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
No reason to cater to fat bodies
not just width but also length.  If you have a 32" leg, then your knees are in the head of the person in front of you.  But I say that knowing sometimes that's a good thing.

Offline Duke of Earl

If they can move the Baltimore Colts, they certainly can move the Baltimore Orioles.  Colts were far more popular than the Orioles during most of their time in Baltimore.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
I hate to think of the MLB without the Baltimore Orioles.

I remember the Browns. The Orioles should move back, to a baseball town.

Offline Duke of Earl

I hate to think of the MLB without the Baltimore Orioles.
And I hated to think of the MLB without a team in DC, I hated it for 34 years, and it was in large part due to the Orioles.  They can't move away fast enough for me.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

What, no piss boys?     

:roll:

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan

Offline Elvir Ovcina

not just width but also length.  If you have a 32" leg, then your knees are in the head of the person in front of you.  But I say that knowing sometimes that's a good thing.

Games at Fenway are like flights in coach, except you even need to pay for water and afterwards you're still in Boston.  On the other hand, I still enjoy them, so...

Offline imref

I'm going to guess most every MLB team is in a similar situation except for maybe the Yankees and Dodgers:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/02/braves-report-major-revenue-drop-operating-losses-in-2020.html

Online HalfSmokes

I'm going to guess most every MLB team is in a similar situation except for maybe the Yankees and Dodgers:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/02/braves-report-major-revenue-drop-operating-losses-in-2020.html

Since the Braves are owned by the publicly-traded Liberty Media corporation, they are the only team in baseball required to disclose their finances, providing some insight into how the COVID-19 pandemic impacted business.  Liberty Media revealed the particulars on Friday (Tim Tucker of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution has the details), with the Braves accounting for an operating loss of $49MM before depreciation and amortization in 2020.  In terms of pure revenues, the club generated $178MM.

As one might expect, these numbers each represent a significant decline from the Braves’ financial picture just one year ago.  In 2019, the Braves generated $476MM in revenues and had a $54MM profit (before depreciation and amortization).

Unless there are one time payments not discussed, going from 476 million to 178 in revenue is insane

Offline imref

Unless there are one time payments not discussed, going from 476 million to 178 in revenue is insane

The CBA negotiations for next year are going to be awful.  I don't see any way there's a season in 2022.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

actually, wasn't the sale of MLB media in the 2019 period? But you'd figure they'd separate out income from one time gains from operating revenues.

Online HalfSmokes

The CBA negotiations for next year are going to be awful.  I don't see any way there's a season in 2022.

The mlbpa already sold out rookies, minor leaguers, and foreign players. Nowhere to cut but their own ranks this time if the owners press. I think the fights between the owners over the extent of revenue sharing may actually be uglier

Offline imref

Mark Zuckerman and Al Galdi have launched a Nats podcast:

https://natschat.buzzsprout.com/

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
Which team is playing in a dump in 2021?

Offline imref

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
 :hysterical:

Dan Kolko
@masnKolko
·
3h
An update for all of you:

I have officially joined the Nationals organization, marking by far the worst signing the team has made all offseason. I’ll be bouncing around in a number of roles on a number of platforms. You’ll see & hear a lot of me. I’m sorry about that in advance.
Show this thread

Offline imref

:hysterical:

Dan Kolko
@masnKolko
·
3h
An update for all of you:

I have officially joined the Nationals organization, marking by far the worst signing the team has made all offseason. I’ll be bouncing around in a number of roles on a number of platforms. You’ll see & hear a lot of me. I’m sorry about that in advance.
Show this thread

I like Dan Kolko.

Online Natsinpwc

Glad to see Kolko will be involved.  freak Angelos and his crew.