Author Topic: MASN seppuku - cuts staff, coverage, but frees Gary Thorne  (Read 4802 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
not enough suites to make money for the Angelos. I can't imagine Baltimore city building him something new. Timmonium Orioles?
I think the weakness in OPACY's design is the mezzanine deck.  That would need a major renovation to make that into more suites.  Everything else (seats facing perpendicular rather than to the plate, no cutaway in the stand allowing views of the field outside the seating bowl being the two biggest) makes the game presentation less than what you get at later stadiums, but doesn't really cost them money.  What costs them money is lack of suites (and product on the field), and the  suites would require a big reno.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
As much as I hate the Orioles (well, just Angelos), I love Camden Yards, it would be terribly sad to see the Orioles leave Baltimore.

Can Cal put together an ownership group and buy the club?

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
I think the weakness in OPACY's design is the mezzanine deck.  That would need a major renovation to make that into more suites.  Everything else (seats facing perpendicular rather than to the plate, no cutaway in the stand allowing views of the field outside the seating bowl being the two biggest) makes the game presentation less than what you get at later stadiums, but doesn't really cost them money.  What costs them money is lack of suites (and product on the field), and the  suites would require a big reno.

I've been there twice.  The only thing I liked about it was Boogs.  I think the stadium itself blows...big time...

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
As much as I hate the Orioles (well, just Angelos), I love Camden Yards, it would be terribly sad to see the Orioles leave Baltimore.

I've been there twice.  The only thing I liked about it was Boogs.  I think the stadium itself blows...big time...
less than 2 minutes apart. :lol:

I still like it.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Red Sox playing at OPACY are basically home games  :P

Offline Natsinpwc

Red Sox playing at OPACY are basically home games  :P
And the Yankees. 

Offline HalfSmokes

I would think the Os are worth far buy on the open market if relocation is a possibility

Offline Five Banners

I would think the Os are worth far buy on the open market if relocation is a possibility

Way too many political forces involved to think that relocation is going to be on the table anytime soon or ahead of some of the other much more likely candidates

Offline HalfSmokes

Way too many political forces involved to think that relocation is going to be on the table anytime soon or ahead of some of the other much more likely candidates

Tampa bay seems more likely, but what other team is in a market as small as Baltimore with a stadium as old as OPACY?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Tampa bay seems more likely, but what other team is in a market as small as Baltimore with a stadium as old as OPACY?

I hate to think of the MLB without the Baltimore Orioles.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

I still like it.

i've had a number of good memories going to games there, then going out to inner harbor, or to fells point afterwards.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
I'm surprised that so many here are operating under this delusion that the orioles will leave Baltimore or Camden Yards. Carry on.  :popcorn:

Offline HalfSmokes

I'm surprised that so many here are operating under this delusion that the orioles will leave Baltimore or Camden Yards. Carry on.  :popcorn:

do you think Angelos is happy that his old park has no real suite revenue?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
do you think Angelos is happy that his old park has no real suite revenue?

Don't know and don't care. Stadiums can undergo renovations and if this is a problem area for him then he and Maryland will hash it out. But no one in their right mind would leave Camden Yards.

Offline Natsinpwc

Don't know and don't care. Stadiums can undergo renovations and if this is a problem area for him then he and Maryland will hash it out. But no one in their right mind would leave Camden Yards.
He will have the moving vans at night like the Colts did.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
He will have the moving vans at night like the Colts did.

If I had to play in Memorial Stadium I'd pack up and leave too.

Offline Natsinpwc

If I had to play in BALTIMORE I'd pack up and leave too.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

I still like it.

Some people still like Fenway Park...and Wrigley Field for that matter... :smh:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Some people still like Fenway Park... :smh:
I'm not a fan, tbh.

Offline Natsinpwc

I'm not a fan, tbh.
Still on my bucket list. Glad I went to Wrigley for the experience.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Still on my bucket list. Glad I went to Wrigley for the experience.
oh, yes, it's a great visit. It's just not a good place for going 10+ games a year for several years

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Fenway Park & Wrigley Field are wonderful places to see a baseball game.

Some people still like Fenway Park...and Wrigley Field for that matter... :smh:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Fenway Park & Wrigley Field are wonderful places to see a baseball game.

once.

Offline blue911

once.

And if you’re a double amputee that doesn’t need to pee

Offline Duke of Earl

once.
Yes, once. I've been to Wrigley. Once. Enjoyed it.  I'm sure I won't go again.