Author Topic: Streaming MASN  (Read 3973 times)

Online Natsinpwc

Re: Streaming MASN
« Reply #50: April 26, 2021, 04:42:33 PM »
They gave them to the teams last year.
https://www.sporttechie.com/mlb-clubs-local-livestreaming-rights-2020-season-baseball/

I guess technically the Nats own those rights to do as they see fit.   But I'm sure Angelos would claim that the contract language in forming MASN says that the same terms should apply and that the joint venture should own those rights.

Realistically, it's the same problem as all the other teams face.   How do you sell in market streaming rights without pissing off their RSNs that are giving them all that money.  The RSNs will lose a tonne of leverage and money if games are available through another source.
Smithian’s question was about streaming from xfinity where he already paid for MASN.  I can watch the Caps and Wizards wherever I am at using my home xfinity account.  Not understanding how this costs MASN anything. In fact I would think it would encourage more sign ups.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #51: April 26, 2021, 05:48:28 PM »
They gave them to the teams last year.
https://www.sporttechie.com/mlb-clubs-local-livestreaming-rights-2020-season-baseball/

I guess technically the Nats own those rights to do as they see fit.   But I'm sure Angelos would claim that the contract language in forming MASN says that the same terms should apply and that the joint venture should own those rights.

Realistically, it's the same problem as all the other teams face.   How do you sell in market streaming rights without pissing off their RSNs that are giving them all that money.  The RSNs will lose a tonne of leverage and money if games are available through another source.

If teams have permission, I don’t see why the nats would care about posing off masnt

Offline machpost

« Reply #52: April 27, 2021, 10:29:51 AM »
MASN streaming has launched:

https://video.masnlivestream.com/live-masn/masn

Only for customers of the following:

- Atlantic Broadband
- Armstrong
- Bay Country Communications
- Lumos Networks
- DirecTV

It looks like Fios has just been added to the list.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #53: April 27, 2021, 11:52:50 AM »
It looks like Fios has just been added to the list.

whoo hooo!!

Offline machpost

« Reply #54: April 28, 2021, 08:59:36 AM »
Unsurprisingly, streaming on the iOS app is a miserable experience. It seems like you have to re-authenticate with your cable provider credentials every single time you launch the app, and once you're viewing live streaming, the "<" button in the upper left of the screen that takes you back to the previous page stays on the screen constantly. And while MASN broadcasts in 1080i, streaming on a computer seems to be limited to 720p. Probably at 30fps, too.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55: April 28, 2021, 09:09:09 AM »
Unsurprisingly, streaming on the iOS app is a miserable experience. It seems like you have to re-authenticate with your cable provider credentials every single time you launch the app, and once you're viewing live streaming, the "<" button in the upper left of the screen that takes you back to the previous page stays on the screen constantly. And while MASN broadcasts in 1080i, streaming on a computer seems to be limited to 720p. Probably at 30fps, too.

It behaves like an iOS app from 2011. It’s the worst user experience I’ve had streaming in years.

Online imref

« Reply #56: April 28, 2021, 09:24:18 PM »
I tried the app today, when I logged in it says that to watch MASN I must have a tv package that includes MASN like Fios extreme HD.  I have MASN as part of my Fios package. Sigh. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #57: April 28, 2021, 09:40:46 PM »
Smooth sailing here with MLB.TV. Thanks to everyone that helped, especially hoo.

Offline machpost

« Reply #58: April 29, 2021, 03:34:39 PM »
I did notice that if you stream MASN through Mobile Safari on an iPhone, you can airplay to an Apple TV. Works pretty well.

Offline Hogie

« Reply #59: April 30, 2021, 02:30:03 AM »
I tried the app today, when I logged in it says that to watch MASN I must have a tv package that includes MASN like Fios extreme HD.  I have MASN as part of my Fios package. Sigh. 

Judging from some twitter interactions, it seems you have to subscribe to a package that allows you to watch away from your TV as well, ie on your phone's FIOS app. I can't use the app either because of that I guess.

Online imref

« Reply #60: April 30, 2021, 04:44:49 AM »

Judging from some twitter interactions, it seems you have to subscribe to a package that allows you to watch away from your TV as well, ie on your phone's FIOS app. I can't use the app either because of that I guess.

Thanks.

Offline Hogie

« Reply #61: May 04, 2021, 07:31:16 PM »
It's working for me on Fios for the first time now. Try it again.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #62: May 04, 2021, 09:29:56 PM »
Any word if they’ll add more providers? Hoping Xfinity gets added.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #63: May 04, 2021, 09:35:05 PM »
Any word if they’ll add more providers? Hoping Xfinity gets added.
Well you don't want to add the major providers that charge those large regional sports fees. 

Online imref

« Reply #64: May 04, 2021, 10:04:57 PM »
It's working for me on Fios for the first time now. Try it again.

It works here too, thanks! 

Online imref

« Reply #65: May 13, 2021, 01:17:11 PM »
the MASN app requires logging into Verizon every time I want to watch MASN, argghhh

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #66: May 14, 2021, 10:05:38 AM »
Smooth sailing here with MLB.TV. Thanks to everyone that helped, especially hoo.

I hadn't looked at this thread in a while and so hadn't seen this comment. Glad to hear my advice helped. MLB.tv can be finicky at times. More than once this season I've had problems with it and the solution I found online that works, no joke, has been to delete the app from my Apple TV, pull the power cord, wait 60 seconds, power back up, and reinstall the app. Weird stuff.

But I think it's not just MLB.tv, either. We had trouble with the NBC Sports app last week when the Caps were on NBC Sports Washington Plus. YouTube TV doesn't carry that channel, but YouTube TV subscribers can watch the local feed via the NBC Sports app. But for whatever reason, it failed to load on both our Apple TVs and our Fire TV devices, yet it worked fine on my iPad. Watching a game on a 9.7-inch iPad when there is a 40-inch TV across the room burns me up, though. (We have a 55-incher downstairs, but the seating configuration there is less conducive to watching on an iPad.) Eventually I got the game to load on the TV for the second of the two games that were on the alternate channel, though I don't remember how. I know for the future there is a way to connect an iPad to the TV, but I'll wait until closer to next season in case the YouTube TV channel lineup changes in the interim.

What it all underscores to me, though, is that there are always hiccups with streaming your TV and that annoyances will crop up seemingly at random. One thing the Caps experience underscored to me is to keep your mobile phone handy—the NBC Sports app required either entering a code via a web browser or scanning a QR code, either of which is to authenticate your subscription with your participating TV provider. Obviously the QR code is the easier option.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #67: May 14, 2021, 01:48:21 PM »
I've only had the problem once. Restarting my Roku cleaned it right up.

I hadn't looked at this thread in a while and so hadn't seen this comment. Glad to hear my advice helped. MLB.tv can be finicky at times. More than once this season I've had problems with it and the solution I found online that works, no joke, has been to delete the app from my Apple TV, pull the power cord, wait 60 seconds, power back up, and reinstall the app. Weird stuff.

But I think it's not just MLB.tv, either. We had trouble with the NBC Sports app last week when the Caps were on NBC Sports Washington Plus. YouTube TV doesn't carry that channel, but YouTube TV subscribers can watch the local feed via the NBC Sports app. But for whatever reason, it failed to load on both our Apple TVs and our Fire TV devices, yet it worked fine on my iPad. Watching a game on a 9.7-inch iPad when there is a 40-inch TV across the room burns me up, though. (We have a 55-incher downstairs, but the seating configuration there is less conducive to watching on an iPad.) Eventually I got the game to load on the TV for the second of the two games that were on the alternate channel, though I don't remember how. I know for the future there is a way to connect an iPad to the TV, but I'll wait until closer to next season in case the YouTube TV channel lineup changes in the interim.

What it all underscores to me, though, is that there are always hiccups with streaming your TV and that annoyances will crop up seemingly at random. One thing the Caps experience underscored to me is to keep your mobile phone handy—the NBC Sports app required either entering a code via a web browser or scanning a QR code, either of which is to authenticate your subscription with your participating TV provider. Obviously the QR code is the easier option.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #68: May 14, 2021, 01:52:55 PM »

My older generation Apple TV would no longer support at all either the NBC Sports app or the MLB app.  Before that I noticed issues with the NBC sports app and having to reboot it at times. Switched to a Roku which works fine for both.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #69: May 14, 2021, 02:03:04 PM »
We have the current-generation Apple TV 4k on both TVs in question. I wonder if the issue is related to a DNS issue that arises due to services other than NBC Sports.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #70: May 14, 2021, 02:21:32 PM »
We have the current-generation Apple TV 4k on both TVs in question. I wonder if the issue is related to a DNS issue that arises due to services other than NBC Sports.

My sense (and it's only that) is that the Roku sometimes has determined that I'm in this area, regardless of the DNS. Which is why  a restart of the Roku fixes it. I know that Roku uses the Google DNSs.

Offline machpost

« Reply #71: May 14, 2021, 03:00:25 PM »
Using Smart DNS or a VPN definitely causes issues with some apps on the Apple TV. The Fox Sports app won't stream unless I disable Smart DNS. Same with ESPN+. And I've also run into occasional issues with the NBC Sports app.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #72: May 16, 2021, 06:27:30 PM »
MLB.tv has to be one of the most unreliable services I’ve used. Why it works on one TV but not on the other on any given day makes no sense.

Offline machpost

« Reply #73: May 19, 2021, 08:59:18 AM »
I wonder if MLB is finally starting to seriously crack down on location spoofing. Last night, I was unable to stream the game with Smart DNS on my Apple TV for the first time, no matter which workaround I tried. Fortunately I'm moving into a new place where Fios is available.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #74: May 19, 2021, 09:24:27 AM »
I wonder if MLB is finally starting to seriously crack down on location spoofing. Last night, I was unable to stream the game with Smart DNS on my Apple TV for the first time, no matter which workaround I tried. Fortunately I'm moving into a new place where Fios is available.
I think they've always put some effort into it.  Apple TV especially seemed to come and go and waited on Unlocator fixes a couple times.  Roku seemed mostly stable when I used to do that a couple years ago.  I don't see why people don't switch to AT&T tv if they are already paying for something like YTTV.   It would also be very easy to split with another Nats fan if they both agreed to only run one stream at a time.