Author Topic: Streaming MASN  (Read 3975 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Streaming MASN
« Reply #25: January 25, 2021, 03:21:55 PM »
It’s made for free streams.

https://www.allconnect.com/blog/is-streaming-illegal

i used to pay the $15 or so a year for audio streams through the MLB app, so not having to pay for that is nice.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #26: January 25, 2021, 03:27:55 PM »
It's unclear to me who owns the rights to in-market streaming.   MLB used to own them, but announced they were giving them back to the teams last year.  But generally RSNs don't own in-market streaming rights and would have to buy them from the teams.   Who know what that means to our complicated MASN relationship.   It might actually make it easier for them to offer something like that since they are owned by both teams. 

MASN would risk all their carriage agreements with Cable/Sat/Dish if they stood one up though.   Those contracts are worth far more than they could ever re-coup in selling MASN standalone.   

How does this resolve itself?  It's not just a MASN problem.    Are all these RSNs forced to just ride out the dying cable model and they'll lose out on a generation of fans?   Does MLB step in and tell everyone to wise up and take a short term hit for long term benefit?

If the Nats owned their own streaming rights, having a subscription based app with it's own crew would be an easy way to knife MASN in the back

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Which is still a bunch of crap. You still have to have a cable subscription that has MASN so you can stream to your phone. Utter garbage.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #28: January 25, 2021, 03:40:41 PM »
RSN's command the fees they get from cable/satellite by offering them exclusivity.  If they break from that model and start offering consumers another reason to cut the cord the cable/satellite companies aren't going to accept their current fee structure or sit around and watch their business continuing to slide into oblivion..
Exactly.  They are a bit of a double edged sword though to those cable companies.   All the sports channels are what makes them so expensive.   So while they are a reason for some to stay, they are also a reason for many of the people to cut the cord.   They are killing the video side profits for cable and telcos too, and many are starting to boot the RSNs.

MASN is a complicated mess though.   I think Comcast is still federally mandated to carry them, so they couldn't really do much.   Another interesting developing story is if the Sinclair sports nets go bankrupt, and a lot of teams lose their tv deals, or have to take big cuts, what does that do to the next reset for the Nats fees?

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #29: January 25, 2021, 03:42:40 PM »
If the Nats owned their own streaming rights, having a subscription based app with it's own crew would be an easy way to knife MASN in the back
It's possible, and would be a cool thing to do.   I don't know they could make enough money to pay for the production of the games though.   Gopros, iPhones and SLRs can make do for a budget production I guess!

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #30: January 25, 2021, 06:31:20 PM »
Also, I don’t expect MASN to televise any spring training games for either team this year.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #31: January 25, 2021, 06:32:17 PM »
Also, I don’t expect MASN to televise any spring training games for either team this year.

Uh Rob, they already announced they weren't. ;)

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #32: January 25, 2021, 08:13:43 PM »
Uh Rob, they already announced they weren't. ;)

Oh. Thanks.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #33: January 26, 2021, 09:32:11 AM »
tried to sort this out. we now have 3 masn threads - streaming, negotiations, and cuts

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #34: January 26, 2021, 04:29:47 PM »
MASN is pretty much the only reason to keep DirecTV unless one is into the slappy stuff on channels 580-600.

Offline imref

« Reply #35: January 26, 2021, 05:39:00 PM »
MASN is pretty much the only reason to keep DirecTV unless one is into the slappy stuff on channels 580-600.

It's always nice to be able to turn on the TV at any time and watch Impractical Jokers too.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #36: January 27, 2021, 06:36:33 AM »
NFL Sunday Ticket

Offline miller10

« Reply #37: January 27, 2021, 05:12:04 PM »
I have found some reliable bootleg streams so I now no longer care what MASN and their idiots in charge do for the live games. 

Offline imref

« Reply #38: April 24, 2021, 03:39:33 PM »
MASN streaming has launched:

https://video.masnlivestream.com/live-masn/masn

Only for customers of the following:

- Atlantic Broadband
- Armstrong
- Bay Country Communications
- Lumos Networks
- DirecTV

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #39: April 24, 2021, 04:56:13 PM »
Bob just announced he’s taking some time off this season, starting this Tuesday for a week. Dan Kolko will fill in. Looks like it’s his choice to step back a little bit.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40: April 24, 2021, 05:35:36 PM »

- Atlantic Broadband
- Armstrong
- Lumos Networks
- DirecTV

This makes zero sense.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #41: April 24, 2021, 05:49:39 PM »
This makes zero sense.
I definitely don’t pay enough to Comcast to deserve MASN streams. 

Offline imref

« Reply #42: April 24, 2021, 05:58:24 PM »
This makes zero sense.

Other that directv, I’ve never heard of any of them.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #43: April 24, 2021, 07:04:50 PM »
This makes zero sense.

It’s the most MASN appropriate list possible

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #44: April 24, 2021, 08:43:04 PM »

- Atlantic Broadband
- Armstrong
- Lumos Networks
- DirecTV
Doing some research.  Lumos is in Waynesboro, VA 

Here is the Armstrong availability map:

https://www.highspeedinternet.com/providers/armstrong

Bay Country is eastern shore where they need to see the Os.

MEAN ANGELOS SPORTS NETWORK clearly going all out on streaming. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #45: April 26, 2021, 03:29:48 PM »
I have xfinity and would appreciate if anyone has an idea how I can watch games away from my home. I can't watch on my phone away from my WiFi, but I believe MLB.tv will blackout since I'm in DC.

Unsure how it is legal for taxpayers to have to pay for a stadium then have any difficulty watching games. I'll vote for President whichever candidate says "no sports blackouts"

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #46: April 26, 2021, 03:37:18 PM »
I have xfinity and would appreciate if anyone has an idea how I can watch games away from my home. I can't watch on my phone away from my WiFi, but I believe MLB.tv will blackout since I'm in DC.

Unsure how it is legal for taxpayers to have to pay for a stadium then have any difficulty watching games. I'll vote for President whichever candidate says "no sports blackouts"

Ditching Comcast TV service, and getting ATT TV is the only above board option.   

MLB is starting to ask RSNs to offer DTC options.   I'm not sure how they do this without giving up 100s of millions in carriage fees though, and if teams aren't going to accept getting lower TV rights, I am not sure how this could ever happen.  On the other hand, if something isn't done soon, MLB is shutting out millions of casual and young fans they may never get back.

https://www.fiercevideo.com/tech/mlb-to-rsns-it-s-time-to-think-dtc

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #47: April 26, 2021, 03:53:00 PM »

You can’t. 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #48: April 26, 2021, 04:00:20 PM »
Ditching Comcast TV service, and getting ATT TV is the only above board option.   

MLB is starting to ask RSNs to offer DTC options.   I'm not sure how they do this without giving up 100s of millions in carriage fees though, and if teams aren't going to accept getting lower TV rights, I am not sure how this could ever happen.  On the other hand, if something isn't done soon, MLB is shutting out millions of casual and young fans they may never get back.

https://www.fiercevideo.com/tech/mlb-to-rsns-it-s-time-to-think-dtc

Does MASN even own the Nat’s streaming rights? I though MLB retained digital rights for all teams

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #49: April 26, 2021, 04:19:33 PM »
Does MASN even own the Nat’s streaming rights? I though MLB retained digital rights for all teams
They gave them to the teams last year.
https://www.sporttechie.com/mlb-clubs-local-livestreaming-rights-2020-season-baseball/

I guess technically the Nats own those rights to do as they see fit.   But I'm sure Angelos would claim that the contract language in forming MASN says that the same terms should apply and that the joint venture should own those rights.

Realistically, it's the same problem as all the other teams face.   How do you sell in market streaming rights without pissing off their RSNs that are giving them all that money.  The RSNs will lose a tonne of leverage and money if games are available through another source.