Author Topic: Hank Aaron Dies  (Read 433 times)

Offline GNatsNoMore

Hank Aaron Dies
« Topic Start: January 22, 2021, 12:14:48 PM »
So sad to hear that Hank Aaron died today.  I remember proudly owning his baseball card when I was about 10.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30759123/long-home-run-king-hank-aaron-dies-86

As the ESPN story notes:
"Aaron still holds major league records for RBIs (2,297), total bases (6,856) and extra-base hits (1,477), and he ranks among MLB's best in hits (3,771, third all time), games played (3,298, third) and runs scored (2,174, fourth)."  I forgot that he still holds so many major league records. He also did a lot of great work after he retired.

RIP, Hammerin' Hank!

Offline Count Walewski

Re: Hank Aaron Dies
« Reply #1: January 22, 2021, 12:31:25 PM »
I was never able to meet Hank Aaron or see him play, but everyone who has done either of those things says he was both an amazing player and an amazing person.

I do remember that when Michael A. Taylor made his MLB debut in Atlanta, Hank Aaron randomly happened to be attending the game that day, and he took some time to meet Michael A. Taylor and talk to him. I imagine that there are a great many former baseball superstars who would not have made time for a scrawny little rookie on the opposing team like that.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2: January 22, 2021, 02:01:53 PM »
It's a bit odd, but I was trying to think of another great right-handed hitter who could contest for the title of best right-handed hittter.  I must be blanking, but, other than Willie Mays, who would be in the conversation?  I guess Rogers Hornsby. Hornsby dominates on BA/OBP and is surprisingly close on SLG, at least for the prime ages 25-35.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #3: January 22, 2021, 02:15:01 PM »
It's a bit odd, but I was trying to think of another great right-handed hitter who could contest for the title of best right-handed hittter.  I must be blanking, but, other than Willie Mays, who would be in the conversation?  I guess Rogers Hornsby. Hornsby dominates on BA/OBP and is surprisingly close on SLG, at least for the prime ages 25-35.

If you don't mind 'roids, ARod would be on that list.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #4: January 22, 2021, 02:21:28 PM »

this has Aaron at 3rd behind Hornsby and Nap Lajoie

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/214753-the-top-10-right-handed-hitters-in-mlb-history

Offline hohoho

« Reply #5: January 22, 2021, 02:39:30 PM »
Willie Mays (.302), Jimmy Foxx (.325),  Rogers Hornsby (.358). Hornsby, Foxx and Mays had better OPS than Aaron (1.010, 1.038 and .941 vs. .928).
HRs: Aaron 755, Mays 660, Foxx 534, Hornsby 301.
And maybe Josh Gibson (reportedly OPS 1.127 in Negro League, second only to Babe Ruth among all hitters, though records are very incomplete).

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6: January 22, 2021, 03:31:19 PM »
Willie Mays (.302), Jimmy Foxx (.325),  Rogers Hornsby (.358). Hornsby, Foxx and Mays had better OPS than Aaron (1.010, 1.038 and .941 vs. .928).
HRs: Aaron 755, Mays 660, Foxx 534, Hornsby 301.
And maybe Josh Gibson (reportedly OPS 1.127 in Negro League, second only to Babe Ruth among all hitters, though records are very incomplete).
I wasn't sure Gibson was a righty because FG doesn't have Negro League stats yet I checked very quick.  Aaron had a .305 BA so he edged out Mays.  Foxx of course has to be in the conversation.  As for Nap, that's a good one. 

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #7: January 24, 2021, 07:00:32 AM »
With the Braves name on the chopping block the call is sounding for the team to change their name to the Hammers to honor Hammering Hank.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #8: January 24, 2021, 10:09:15 AM »
With the Braves name on the chopping block the call is sounding for the team to change their name to the Hammers to honor Hammering Hank.

That works.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9: January 24, 2021, 05:36:33 PM »
silly enough, but they could keep the chopping motion, just change the chant to "bang-bang-bang."

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #10: January 24, 2021, 06:30:39 PM »
silly enough, but they could keep the chopping motion, just change the chant to "bang-bang-bang."

There you go. Swap the foam tomahawk for a foam hammer and they’re good to go.