Author Topic: 2021 Summer Olympics: To be or not to be?  (Read 335 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: 2021 Summer Olympics: To be or not to be?
« Reply #25: January 27, 2021, 10:39:16 AM »
I wonder if Auckland has the facilities to put this  on. 

Toughest thing for a spontaneous substitution is the specialized facilities.  The velodrome is a tough one, and there's probably others.  Baseball fields used to be another in non-baseball countries.  More you think about it, Beijing or maybe Seoul could pull it off.

US  is probably out due to its infection rates.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #26: January 27, 2021, 10:44:46 AM »
Auckland hosted the Commonwealth Games so they should have at least useable velodromes and other such infrastructure.  And they have Steinlager, so that should seal the deal  :cheers:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27: January 27, 2021, 10:48:39 AM »
Auckland hosted the Commonwealth Games so they should have at least useable velodromes and other such infrastructure.  And they have Steinlager, so that should seal the deal  :cheers:
How cold does it get Late July / early August?  Maybe it could shift to late August / early september like I think Rio did.  Make the athletes quarantine and / or get inoculated, and maybe it could work.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #28: January 27, 2021, 11:24:10 AM »
I wonder if Auckland has the facilities to put this  on. 

Toughest thing for a spontaneous substitution is the specialized facilities.  The velodrome is a tough one, and there's probably others.  Baseball fields used to be another in non-baseball countries.  More you think about it, Beijing or maybe Seoul could pull it off.

US  is probably out due to its infection rates.

I don't see the island nation that has escaped the worst of covid by virtue of being an island nation suddenly inviting in fans and athletes from around the world

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29: January 27, 2021, 05:36:36 PM »
I don't see the island nation that has escaped the worst of covid by virtue of being an island nation suddenly inviting in fans and athletes from around the world
who said anything about fans?  quarantines and shots for the athletes.  But yes, I don't really think this is happening. Not even suggested.  Jacinda doesn't need it, while FLA government is pumping it out there for PR, mainly.

Offline imref

• Redemption
« Reply #30: May 24, 2021, 09:37:05 PM »
2 months before the olympics, the us state department warns citizens against travel to Japan due to Covid.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2021/05/24/tokyo-olympics-what-we-know-japan-covid-19-vaccines/7418076002/

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #31: May 25, 2021, 06:22:29 AM »
2 months before the olympics, the us state department warns citizens against travel to Japan due to Covid.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2021/05/24/tokyo-olympics-what-we-know-japan-covid-19-vaccines/7418076002/
This is kind of funny for a couple of reasons. They still have fewer per capita Covid cases than we do.  And they are not letting US tourists in anyway.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32: May 25, 2021, 08:40:25 AM »

I have complete confidence that, should she want to, Simone Biles would be able to vault from Kamchatka to Hokkaido, using a wayward whale as a springboard, doing a triple pike with a reverse.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #33: May 25, 2021, 10:16:13 AM »
The whale is important, but she can probably manage without.  Ryan Lochte can get himself "nabbed by Somalian pirates" who will mysteriously decide to drop him in Tokyo.   
I have complete confidence that, should she want to, Simone Biles would be able to vault from Kamchatka to Hokkaido, using a wayward whale as a springboard, doing a triple pike with a reverse.