Author Topic: Welcome Jon Lester  (Read 2338 times)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Re: Welcome Jon Lester
« Reply #25: January 19, 2021, 09:38:23 AM »
1 year deal with a mutual option for 2022 pending a physical.  Value not yet disclosed.

I don't see how he's any better than Ross/Fedde/Voth.

Even if last year's Lester is the true Lester nowadays, he's better than Ross and Voth at the bare minimum.  Ross last had an ERA under 5 in 2016 and spends more time on the injured list than off it.  Voth's career ERA is almost exactly the same as Lester's was last season - which was the worst of his career.   

Fedde has some upside, but he's also almost 28 and has 34 career starts, has never pitched over 80 MLB innings in a season, and has a raft of arm injuries in his past. 

Lester reliably takes the ball and reliably isn't terrible.  He's not going to be 2016 Lester, but he's also not Ross/Fedde/Voth.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #26: January 19, 2021, 09:48:59 AM »
He could also assume the role of our lefty RP if he doesn't have much left in the tank. :)

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #27: January 19, 2021, 10:20:18 AM »
Even if last year's Lester is the true Lester nowadays, he's better than Ross and Voth at the bare minimum.  Ross last had an ERA under 5 in 2016 and spends more time on the injured list than off it.  Voth's career ERA is almost exactly the same as Lester's was last season - which was the worst of his career.   

Fedde has some upside, but he's also almost 28 and has 34 career starts, has never pitched over 80 MLB innings in a season, and has a raft of arm injuries in his past. 

Lester reliably takes the ball and reliably isn't terrible.  He's not going to be 2016 Lester, but he's also not Ross/Fedde/Voth.

Couldn’t agree more. He at least has a history of making 30 starts. Imagine if he finishes the 2021 season with 30 starts and a era just north of 4...

There is history that says this isn’t a long shot or powerball odds.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #28: January 19, 2021, 10:59:48 AM »
I like that in 6 of his 12 starts last year Lester gave up 0 or 1 ER.  Half the time he gave his team an excellent chance to win, which you take in a #4.  With diminished stuff, he'll get knocked around when he's off.  However, he'll at least eat some innings.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #29: January 19, 2021, 11:25:17 AM »
$5 million is being reported. There are conflicting reports about the option and I assume there are some incentives in the deal.
this sounds right.  This is a touch below the Quintanas and some of the other names we were kicking around int he $7-10MM range, and a touch above the Hellickson level just a veteran guy I had thought about in the $2MM or less range.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #30: January 19, 2021, 11:26:24 AM »
For 5M, he is a decent pickup. As others have said he is expected to be a 4 here, and his recent performance is probably slated to just be that.

Plus, that means the number 5 is likely going to be Ross as he is the best of the Ross/Fedde/Voth triumvirate.

Offline Lazarchick 31

« Reply #31: January 19, 2021, 11:32:07 AM »
Not sure what is to dislike about this move. Expecting a Bauer is misguided. He's a lefty and eats innings. Saw last night with mention to his 2020 that 6 of his 12 starts were either 0 or 1 runs earned. Frankly it boiled down to when he was good he was real good, but when he was bad, he was real bad. I'll take that from a guy with pedigree and familiarity with the staff for a #4

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32: January 19, 2021, 11:36:04 AM »
I found this interesting.  It discusses Lester's drop in velocity and problems with his 4 seamer and cutter, his traditional go tos.  IT points out that his other stuff works very well - sinker, curve, change.  If he adjusts his pitch mix to what's working now, he more or less becomes a lefty soft tosser who does not miss bats but gets lots of grounders and uses the cutter to keep guys honest.
https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/late-round-evaluations-lester-voth-velasquez-others/

After discussing Lester, there's a discussion of Austin Voth, mentioning velocity as a key for him setting up his secondaries.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33: January 19, 2021, 12:21:56 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/01/19/nationals-rotation-jon-lester/

Svrluga

To be clear: I love this move. Not because I think Lester is going to throw 200 innings at a 3.00 ERA this season. He hasn’t done that since 2016, when the Cubs won the World Series and he fronted a rotation that also included Jake Arrieta and Kyle Hendricks. But that’s not his job here. At 37, don’t ask him to re-create his 32-year-old self. It’s not likely.

Rather, this move is good because it further entrenches the Nats as to who they are. I’m worried about their defense. I’m not certain about their production from third base. I like the bullpen depth if they can find another lefty and somebody to close. But, man, they have some horses to start the game.

That’s an interesting line to draw in the sand, too, in 2021. The lasting image from the 2020 season is that of Tampa Bay Rays starter Blake Snell with a 1-0 lead in the sixth inning of a game his team needed to win to extend the World Series — getting yanked.
That’s not likely to be the Nationals’ strategy under Manager Dave Martinez, who was the Cubs’ bench coach when Lester signed with Chicago. The Nats will have those conferences on the mound, but more often than not, the manager will walk back to the dugout and the starter will keep the ball — whether that’s wise or not.

Offline rugbyflanker

• OllllllO
« Reply #34: January 19, 2021, 12:53:32 PM »
Wasn't Lester the one with the yips and the inability to throw the ball to 1st to pick off runners?  And then he somehow picked off Zimm who was dancing all over 1st in the NLDS?  If so, let's hope that fixed his issues...

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #35: January 19, 2021, 12:59:26 PM »
Wasn't Lester the one with the yips and the inability to throw the ball to 1st to pick off runners?  And then he somehow picked off Zimm who was dancing all over 1st in the NLDS?  If so, let's hope that fixed his issues...
Yes.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #36: January 19, 2021, 01:03:01 PM »
5m for a guy with that many rings seems like a win. 

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #37: January 19, 2021, 02:16:37 PM »
The fact that he picked off Zimmerman doesn't mean he's fixed. First off, Zimmerman was taking way too big a lead (he assumed Lester wouldn't throw over), Lester could have run over and tagged him. Second, he threw it it on a bounce. It was deliberate and planned.  I don't think that's sustainable.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #38: January 19, 2021, 02:42:22 PM »
The fact that he picked off Zimmerman doesn't mean he's fixed. First off, Zimmerman was taking way too big a lead (he assumed Lester wouldn't throw over), Lester could have run over and tagged him. Second, he threw it it on a bounce. It was deliberate and planned.  I don't think that's sustainable.
He’s had the yips for years. He seems able to work around it.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #39: January 20, 2021, 12:10:31 AM »
Nightingale says $2 million this year, $3 million deferred until 2023.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #40: January 20, 2021, 08:34:27 PM »
When I watched the Sox I hated Jon Lester because he kicked Julian out of the starting rotation when he came back from his cancer treatment. Then he was part of the beer and chicken fiasco and he was usually so surly he just never seemed a guy I’d want to root for but, here we are so-Welcome to DC, Jon!

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #41: January 21, 2021, 08:18:25 AM »
Nightingale says $2 million this year, $3 million deferred until 2023.
Lolololol even washed up inning eaters get deferred money from the Nats.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42: January 21, 2021, 11:36:11 AM »
When I watched the Sox I hated Jon Lester because he kicked Julian out of the starting rotation when he came back from his cancer treatment. Then he was part of the beer and chicken fiasco and he was usually so surly he just never seemed a guy I’d want to root for but, here we are so-Welcome to DC, Jon!
I am a huge Lester fan for his Red Sox stint.  I sprung for an autographed ball back in summer of 2011 in a charitable fundraiser.   I think I've told this story before, but, as you mention, Lester was diagnosed with a form of non-Hodgkins lymphoma his rookie year (2006).  During his treatment, the Globe did an on-line get well card for him. I wrote on it how my Mom had non-Hodgkins lymphoma, too, and that treatments had gotten very good in the time since she was diagnosed.  Not that he ever was going to read it, but it felt good to encourage him.  His form was completely treatable; my Mom's was more whack-a-mole it's treatable until it isn't.  Well, Mom got to her 80th birthday on May 19, 2007, but was unable to make it through the season.  The next year, on what would have been her 81st birthday, Lester threw his one no-hitter.  I broke out my Red Sox Lester tee shirt Tuesday in his  honor.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #43: January 21, 2021, 12:33:39 PM »
I am a huge Lester fan for his Red Sox stint.  I sprung for an autographed ball back in summer of 2011 in a charitable fundraiser.   I think I've told this story before, but, as you mention, Lester was diagnosed with a form of non-Hodgkins lymphoma his rookie year (2006).  During his treatment, the Globe did an on-line get well card for him. I wrote on it how my Mom had non-Hodgkins lymphoma, too, and that treatments had gotten very good in the time since she was diagnosed.  Not that he ever was going to read it, but it felt good to encourage him.  His form was completely treatable; my Mom's was more whack-a-mole it's treatable until it isn't.  Well, Mom got to her 80th birthday on May 19, 2007, but was unable to make it through the season.  The next year, on what would have been her 81st birthday, Lester threw his one no-hitter.  I broke out my Red Sox Lester tee shirt Tuesday in his  honor.
That's a great story, JCA, makes me happier to root for him now :)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #44: January 21, 2021, 12:46:02 PM »
That's a great story, JCA, makes me happier to root for him now :)

Who knew that JCA was really Ben from Fever Pitch, with Sox undies, sheets, towels, and toothbrush. :crackup:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45: January 21, 2021, 02:19:39 PM »
Who knew that JCA was really Ben from Fever Pitch, with Sox undies, sheets, towels, and toothbrush. :crackup:
not quite.  I do have a Sox pen somebody gave me, as well as souvenir glass mug with the 3 heroes of 1967 - Yaz, Jim Lonborg (Cy Young), and Dick Williams (manager of the year).  When I bought the Lester shirt, I bought a knock-off of Kevin Youkilis's home jersey (knock off had his name on it; sox home jersey doesn't have names) at the same time.  I wear the Youk to her gravesite because that's her favorite player.  He was just becoming a regular in 2007 and only had about 14 homers that year, but he hit one the night she died and another the night before her funeral.  She had really wanted to make it to watch the Sox game the night before that, but fell asleep during the rain delay and didn't wake up again. One of the last things I said to my Mom the night she passed was "Youk homered tonight."  Sentimental?  Guilty.

I've got a couple other Sox shirts (2004 and 2018 champs, and a Pedro tee shirt with an HOF patch) but actually have way more Nats gear.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #46: January 21, 2021, 03:15:04 PM »
I have a Pedro shirt - different team though.

Very cool that your mum was able to see them win in '04. 
not quite.  I do have a Sox pen somebody gave me, as well as souvenir glass mug with the 3 heroes of 1967 - Yaz, Jim Lonborg (Cy Young), and Dick Williams (manager of the year).  When I bought the Lester shirt, I bought a knock-off of Kevin Youkilis's home jersey (knock off had his name on it; sox home jersey doesn't have names) at the same time.  I wear the Youk to her gravesite because that's her favorite player.  He was just becoming a regular in 2007 and only had about 14 homers that year, but he hit one the night she died and another the night before her funeral.  She had really wanted to make it to watch the Sox game the night before that, but fell asleep during the rain delay and didn't wake up again. One of the last things I said to my Mom the night she passed was "Youk homered tonight."  Sentimental?  Guilty.

I've got a couple other Sox shirts (2004 and 2018 champs, and a Pedro tee shirt with an HOF patch) but actually have way more Nats gear.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #47: January 27, 2021, 12:25:14 PM »
Lester passed his physical, deal is done

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #48: January 27, 2021, 01:01:40 PM »
Lester passed his physical, deal is done

Where's my ring?