Author Topic: Schwarber, the Cream of LF options!  (Read 4374 times)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Re: Schwarber, the Cream of LF options!
« Reply #25: January 09, 2021, 12:29:38 PM »
1 year deal worth $10M.

Eaton was due to make how much this season if he stayed with us?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #26: January 09, 2021, 12:34:48 PM »
If you believe the projections of 2 WAR, and that 1 win for the past few years is >$8MM for a free agent, and that there were multiple teams in on him, one could say this was not an overpay.  I'm a skeptic, and I don't think he fits well in the overall roster structure because of the D impact, platoon splits, the overall roster handedness problem.  Sign Realmuto, and I'll change my mind.  Trade for Suarez or another righty, I can live with it. 
In this market, it's a massive overpay. Especially when you consider it makes the outfield a lot worse.

They aren't signing Realmuto. At best, they'll sign Alex Colome.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #27: January 09, 2021, 12:44:04 PM »
Eaton was due to make how much this season if he stayed with us?

Same, IIRC

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #28: January 09, 2021, 12:47:46 PM »
From the MLB Trade Rumors article.

"The fact that Schwarber surpassed even the highest arb projection in landing $10MM from Washington is indicative both of how much interest there must have been in his services, and a sign that the Nats are taking more stock in some of Schwarber’s advanced metrics than his bottom-line 2020 numbers.  A look at Statcast indicates a solid case for a bounce-back performance, as Schwarber still made plenty of hard contact (including a 95th-percentile exit velocity of 92.8 mph).  Between a .219 BABIP and a .302 wOBA that fell well beneath his above-average .330 xwOBA, it can also be argued that Schwarber ran into some bad luck over his sample size of 224 PA."

Stats, Giggity!  https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=25370.0

Hopefully the stat geeks are right, because right now this seems like a massive overpay given we've got Bell and probably Zimmerman at first, and it's hard to make the argument that Schwarber is a better option than Stevenson as a corner OF.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #29: January 09, 2021, 12:48:51 PM »
Same, IIRC

That's what I thought. So we lose quite a bit defensively but gain in offense/power. I hope he's not Wily Mo Pena V2.0

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #30: January 09, 2021, 12:53:04 PM »
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/01/nationals-to-sign-kyle-schwarber.html

The Nationals are certainly hoping for a return for the 2017-19 version of Schwarber, as his left-handed bat would nicely augment a D.C. lineup that still leaned mostly towards right-handed hitters even after the addition of switch-hitter Josh Bell.  Between Bell and Schwarber, the Nats have now added two sluggers looking for rebound seasons, and a lot of major power potential to a team that finished 21st among all clubs in home runs last year.

I think this is right in terms of numbers.  Figure the regular lineup has Turner, Gomes, Robles, Castro, and for now Kieboom.  Schwarber is a big offensive upgrade relative to Stevenson in terms of putting a scare into RHP.  Soto kills anything, so really it didn't matter that you pitch RHP, adn it would have you a platoon advantage against the rest of the lineup.  Bell + Schwarber will make team more hesitant to throw RHP, so may help these less intimidating right-handed batters.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #31: January 09, 2021, 12:57:48 PM »
That's what I thought. So we lose quite a bit defensively but gain in offense/power. I hope he's not Wily Mo Pena V2.0
Eaton was kind of shot defensively. I don’t think you lose much by having Soto in RF. And maybe a slight drop off from Soto to Schwarber in LF. We did not have gold glove corner OF defense the past few years.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32: January 09, 2021, 01:08:13 PM »
In this market, it's a massive overpay. Especially when you consider it makes the outfield a lot worse.

They aren't signing Realmuto. At best, they'll sign Alex Colome.
I could live with that, or Hand.  I think it's funny, but we could probably have used Taylor as a defensive replacement on this team. 

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #33: January 09, 2021, 01:10:19 PM »
This signing would be nice if the Nats somehow were able to trade for Hendricks and Contreras, but I don't see them being able to have the prospects to do it. It would help the fire sale Cubs but I don't think the return would work.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #34: January 09, 2021, 01:11:49 PM »
Schwarber getting $10 million after his 2020 season makes me think that maybe COVID-19 isn't going to lead to contract values collapsing this offseason.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35: January 09, 2021, 01:31:23 PM »
This signing would be nice if the Nats somehow were able to trade for Hendricks and Contreras, but I don't see them being able to have the prospects to do it. It would help the fire sale Cubs but I don't think the return would work.
It's funny, but even with several off years, Gomes has hit LHP very well over his career and last year.  .278 / .336 / .478 career with a wRC+ of 117.  He might be ideal to slot behind Soto and before Bell. Contreras would be fun, but we might have a decent current option. 

The other thing to realize is just how much more righty starters hurt the offense than lefties.  Ops v righty starters was .722, v. .883 v lefty starters

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #36: January 09, 2021, 02:58:41 PM »
Finally, a signing!

But, worst hitter in the majors last year and an awful fielder. I’m not excited.

I was about to write the same. Mistake.

He is a butcher in the OF.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #37: January 09, 2021, 03:41:30 PM »
Eh.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #39: January 09, 2021, 04:26:56 PM »
Schwarber getting $10 million after his 2020 season makes me think that maybe COVID-19 isn't going to lead to contract values collapsing this offseason.

What did Eaton get from the Sox?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #40: January 09, 2021, 04:28:08 PM »
What did Eaton get from the Sox?
$8 million.

Offline Expos

« Reply #41: January 09, 2021, 04:38:26 PM »
$8 million.

I'd take Schwarber at 10m over Eaton at 8m all day long

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #42: January 09, 2021, 04:41:41 PM »
Yeah. They really need the power bats. I think the weird thing with Schwaber is that I believe any team could have claimed him when he was non tendered and paid less? Maybe someone who knows the rules could comment on that?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #43: January 09, 2021, 04:47:14 PM »
Yeah. They really need the power bats. I think the weird thing with Schwaber is that I believe any team could have claimed him when he was non tendered and paid less? Maybe someone who knows the rules could comment on that?

Wouldn’t claiming him require trading for him?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44: January 09, 2021, 04:48:05 PM »
Wouldn’t claiming him require trading for him?
no, not if it is release waivers. 

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #45: January 09, 2021, 05:12:42 PM »

Bingo. This ain’t rocket science.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46: January 09, 2021, 05:14:11 PM »
The signing has been officially announced by the Nationals.  USA Today’s Bob Nightengale reports that the deal also contains an $11MM mutual option for the 2022 season.  That option contains a $3MM buyout, so Schwarber’s guaranteed money breaks down as that $3MM plus $7MM in salary.

So, in Nats fashion, it is a $7MM contract if he does really well and decides to decline his half of the option, a 2 year $18MM contract if he and the Nats are happy together, or a $10MM contract with $3MM deferred if he is not wanted back.  Does someone know how this would count against the tax threshold? 

Online Five Banners

« Reply #47: January 09, 2021, 05:19:24 PM »

So, in Nats fashion, it is a $7MM contract if he does really well and decides to decline his half of the option, a 2 year $18MM contract if he and the Nats are happy together, or a $10MM contract with $3MM deferred if he is not wanted back.  Does someone know how this would count against the tax threshold? 

Not confirmed, but some assessments I’ve read said it would count $10 million

Offline Expos

« Reply #48: January 09, 2021, 05:20:54 PM »
Is there any word if there will be a DH in the NL this year?

One of Schwarber or Bell would be a nice option at DH

1. SS- Turner
2. 2B- Castro
3. LF- Soto
4. 1B- Bell
5. DH- Schwarber
6. 3B- Garcia
7. RF- Stevenson
8. C- Gomes
9. CF- Robles

I still think we will make a move for another 3B with Kieboom going the other way and we will sign a closer and a #4 starter.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #49: January 09, 2021, 05:26:02 PM »
Rizzo said the NL is planning for no DH