Author Topic: What are you listening to in 2021?  (Read 5538 times)

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
Re: What Are You About To Listen To ??? (2021)
« Reply #150: September 20, 2021, 04:03:09 AM »
Can't imagine what's drawing me to this, today... ;)

Offline blue911

« Reply #151: September 20, 2021, 01:50:43 PM »
Can't imagine what's drawing me to this, today... ;)

Masochism?

Online skippy1999

• Believe!!!

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #153: September 20, 2021, 05:20:42 PM »
Masochism?

Heaven forfend that I might have meant it for NatsinPWC and his fellow Iggles fans... :lol: 

If you're unfamiliar - it was a spoof track, making fun of the (then prevalent) 'flower-power' scene. The irony must have been lost on many, however, as it became a chart hit... :hysterical:

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #154: September 20, 2021, 05:32:19 PM »
Heaven forfend that I might have meant it for NatsinPWC and his fellow Iggles fans... :lol: 

If you're unfamiliar - it was a spoof track, making fun of the (then prevalent) 'flower-power' scene. The irony must have been lost on many, however, as it became a chart hit... :hysterical:
Unnecessarily cruel after a loss yesterday Natsie.

I remember the flower power songs but not that one?

This one should have been a spoof but I think they were serious.

Online Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #155: September 20, 2021, 05:46:47 PM »

What about the hottest sound across the Atlantic since Mrs. Murphy's Chowder?

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #156: September 20, 2021, 06:51:59 PM »

Apologies Nats - it was just meant in fun. I hope no offence taken. And the Chiefs did lose as well.... :roll:

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #157: September 20, 2021, 07:45:55 PM »

Apologies Nats - it was just meant in fun. I hope no offence taken. And the Chiefs did lose as well.... :roll:
No problem.  I was kidding.  After watching Philadelphia and DC sports teams for almost 60 years I am used to losing.  Lots of losing. 

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #158: September 20, 2021, 09:29:16 PM »
 :clap:
What about the hottest sound across the Atlantic since Mrs. Murphy's Chowder?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #159: September 20, 2021, 09:43:59 PM »
Captured, Desperados Under the Eaves, and Beware of Darkness

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #160: September 21, 2021, 10:37:50 AM »

This one should have been a spoof but I think they were serious.

The actual title of that song was 'The Rain, the Park and the Other Things' (late summer/fall 1967). The Cowsills were a family act (sort of anticipating the Partridge Family a few years later) so I think the song could come down on both sides.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #161: September 21, 2021, 10:51:06 AM »
The actual title of that song was 'The Rain, the Park and the Other Things' (late summer/fall 1967). The Cowsills were a family act (sort of anticipating the Partridge Family a few years later) so I think the song could come down on both sides.
I used to watch the Partridge Family on Friday nights because I thought Laurie Partridge was cute.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #162: September 21, 2021, 04:14:51 PM »

• babble on
« Reply #164: September 21, 2021, 08:32:18 PM »
Good call DPM, right on time :thumbs:

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #165: September 24, 2021, 07:12:39 PM »
To mark AFL Grand Final day - the greatest sports theme on the planet, as performed by the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra. :D

Online Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #166: September 27, 2021, 10:14:43 PM »
According to their own description, "BAND-MAID is an impossibly hard rocking maid band." I think I can say without fear of contradiction that they are the hardest rocking maid band out there. That said, they don't really need the "maid" qualifier - they are just a great band - and if you ignore them at first look because of the image they chose, you are missing out. The image, BTW, was chosen by the band founder (and rhythm guitarist) who worked in a maid-themed cafe in Tokyo and liked the contrast between the cute image and the hard rocking.

The first song below was an instrumental, but the lead singer asked for lyrics to be added so she could take part. Also, note the energy with which they perform, while bearing in mind that these were the 21st and 22nd songs of a 23-song set.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #167: September 28, 2021, 04:06:25 AM »
They may have got the idea from the first J-Pop Cute / Metal crossover... :hysterical:

• babble on
« Reply #168: September 28, 2021, 10:50:05 AM »
Outstanding  :D

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #169: September 28, 2021, 12:46:29 PM »
According to their own description, "BAND-MAID is an impossibly hard rocking maid band." I think I can say without fear of contradiction that they are the hardest rocking maid band out there. That said, they don't really need the "maid" qualifier - they are just a great band - and if you ignore them at first look because of the image they chose, you are missing out. The image, BTW, was chosen by the band founder (and rhythm guitarist) who worked in a maid-themed cafe in Tokyo and liked the contrast between the cute image and the hard rocking.

The first song below was an instrumental, but the lead singer asked for lyrics to be added so she could take part. Also, note the energy with which they perform, while bearing in mind that these were the 21st and 22nd songs of a 23-song set.

Quality stuff.

Online Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #170: September 28, 2021, 03:48:50 PM »
They may have got the idea from the first J-Pop Cute / Metal crossover... :hysterical:
My understanding is that many Band-Maid fans take offense at comparisons to BabyMetal, because a Band-Maid is a home-grown band of musicians who play their own instruments, while BabyMetal is essentially manufactured by an executive of a J-Pop powerhouse, and the girls essentially are just singer/dancers fronting a band made up of session musicians.

I think the contrast is a bit overblown. The executive in question was apparently a big fan of metal, and felt that Suzuka Nakamoto had a voice and vocal range better suited to metal than J-Pop, so creating BabyMetal was more a fulfillment of a dream than a marketing gimmick. And on the other side, Miku Kobato, the founder of Band-Maid, herself didn't play an instrument when she created the band. She was originally to be the singer, but decided her voice wasn't well-suited to the music, so she recruited Saiki Atsumi. Miku has essentially been learning to play rhythm guitar since the band's debut, and has to her credit improved considerably. For what it's worth, in my opinion, Suzuka is a much better singer than Saiki.

BabyMetal has this weird mythos about the Fox God creating the group to bring metal to the masses. So, you have a group fronted by singer/dancers better known for other things than rock, backed by some of the best session musicians in the business, and on a mission from God. Sound familiar?

Again in my opinion, while "Gimme Chocolate" was BabyMetal's breakthrough, especially to Western audiences, it's a bit too pop to be a good representation of the group's range. Road of Resistance is good:

This performance at Sonisphere UK in 2014, where they had been unexpectedly moved to the main stage with little notice, famously won over the Western metalhead crowds.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #171: September 28, 2021, 04:57:49 PM »
Japanese thrash legends.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #172: September 28, 2021, 05:02:04 PM »
Getting ready for next weekend - Penalties v Turnovers (that's Iggles v Cheefs, for the uninitiated... ;))

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #173: September 28, 2021, 05:56:17 PM »
Getting ready for next weekend - Penalties v Turnovers (that's Iggles v Cheefs, for the uninitiated... ;))

Must watching before the game. Greatest movie ever made.

• babble on
« Reply #174: September 29, 2021, 12:52:39 PM »
I enjoyed reading angry comments about a mask requirement at a Slipknot show  :hysterical: