Author Topic: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2021)  (Read 6248 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2021)
« Reply #175: September 08, 2021, 08:55:31 AM »
I like the chicken from Cane’s.  Something about the flavor of the breading and even the smell at Zaxby’s that I don’t like. My wife likes their chicken better though. I like the Zaxby’s fries. Have some kind of seasoning on them that makes me not able to stop when I eat them.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #176: September 08, 2021, 12:19:00 PM »
I like the chicken from Cane’s.  Something about the flavor of the breading and even the smell at Zaxby’s that I don’t like. My wife likes their chicken better though. I like the Zaxby’s fries. Have some kind of seasoning on them that makes me not able to stop when I eat them.
Zaxby's fries are the bomb, sooooo good!

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #177: September 08, 2021, 01:31:29 PM »
I've been doing Hello Fresh for 2 months with my wife and it may be because we're crappy cooks but it's been incredible. Takes out all the worrying about what to make for dinner and the meals have all been fantastic. I've even learned a ton which is great. Grocery bill evens out too because I'm not wasting food. We do 3 meals a week for $65 a week, so about $11 a person per meal - not cheap by any means, but I'm also not going to the store every week to get stuff or throwing away anything.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #178: September 08, 2021, 04:50:31 PM »
I've been doing Hello Fresh for 2 months with my wife and it may be because we're crappy cooks but it's been incredible. Takes out all the worrying about what to make for dinner and the meals have all been fantastic. I've even learned a ton which is great. Grocery bill evens out too because I'm not wasting food. We do 3 meals a week for $65 a week, so about $11 a person per meal - not cheap by any means, but I'm also not going to the store every week to get stuff or throwing away anything.

I did Hello Fresh a while ago and I can attest that it is indeed awesome. Recipes were good, you learn a whole bunch of cooking techniques and it’s convenient and fun. And while the 11 bucks isn’t cheap, it’s cheaper than eating out which is the alternative.
After 4-5 months I got confident enough in my cooking skills to stop and start cooking my own stuff. I think I’m pretty good 2 years later. So in that regard Hello Fresh was pretty life changing if you’re a marginal to bad cook.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #179: September 08, 2021, 05:20:16 PM »
I am sure I will hit a point where I decide I've learned enough but man, not having to think about what to make for dinner is such a gamechanger for me and my wife. I do 99% of the cooking and if I forget to thaw chicken or don't have all the right spices it gets blown up. Just being able to grab the bag with all the stuff in it makes my life so much easier which has been priceless for us. I would like to try the other meal kit services just to see what they are like, too. But we're definitely fans.

We've gotten into the routine of:

M: HF
T: HF
W: Date night (cook pizza together or go out, etc.)
F: Make something on our own, dinner with friends, etc.
S/S: Go out, make something on our own, etc.

One thing I've learned is that I value time more than most things. I just don't have enough time. So relieving that stress of planning meals is amazing.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #180: September 08, 2021, 05:26:34 PM »
I can heat up a can of baked beans as well as anyone... :D

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #181: September 08, 2021, 05:44:33 PM »
I am sure I will hit a point where I decide I've learned enough but man, not having to think about what to make for dinner is such a gamechanger for me and my wife. I do 99% of the cooking and if I forget to thaw chicken or don't have all the right spices it gets blown up. Just being able to grab the bag with all the stuff in it makes my life so much easier which has been priceless for us. I would like to try the other meal kit services just to see what they are like, too. But we're definitely fans.

We've gotten into the routine of:

M: HF
W: Date night (cook pizza together or go out, etc.)
F: Make something on our own, dinner with friends, etc.
S/S: Go out, make something on our own, etc.

One thing I've learned is that I value time more than most things. I just don't have enough time. So relieving that stress of planning meals is amazing.

this is why I love instpots, being able to cook frozen meat without thawing.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #182: September 08, 2021, 06:21:50 PM »
I got an instantpot a few years ago as a gift and have used the pressure cooking feature like one time. i've seen some great recipes with it but have never explored using it much

Offline dracnal

« Reply #183: September 08, 2021, 06:39:42 PM »

While it's not accurate from a biological perspective, my personal definition of adulthood is the point in life where time becomes more important than money.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #184: September 11, 2021, 12:17:38 PM »
FYI, make sure you cook food all the way. My dumb self didn't cook sausage all the way through on Thursday. I now have food poisoning. I got worried I contracted the Rona from daughter Mattionals now being at day care for 8 hours a week, but she and wife are fine (wife and I are fully vaxxed) and I have no other symptoms of COVID. Salmonella symptoms? SUPER check.

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #185: September 11, 2021, 05:41:42 PM »
FYI, make sure you cook food all the way. My dumb self didn't cook sausage all the way through on Thursday. I now have food poisoning. I got worried I contracted the Rona from daughter Mattionals now being at day care for 8 hours a week, but she and wife are fine (wife and I are fully vaxxed) and I have no other symptoms of COVID. Salmonella symptoms? SUPER check.

Oh man.  Sorry to hear it.  I've always said a quality meat thermometer, although seemingly pricey ($70+), is worth its weight in gold. 

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #186: September 11, 2021, 05:55:41 PM »
Oh man.  Sorry to hear it.  I've always said a quality meat thermometer, although seemingly pricey ($70+), is worth its weight in gold.

You know, the even worse part is own one. Even worse than. That is my wife cut into hers and said, this is too pink and put it in the microwave until it was thoroughly cooked. She had chicken sausage and mine was pork so I thought nothing of it and mine was not squishy or cool at all. Still, last night into today I've paid the price of my misdeeds. Took two hour long naps today after spending a bit of time walking around town this morning.

I'm about 60% back and I bet a good night of sleep will really help me out. Still, it's solely my fault.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #187: September 11, 2021, 06:44:44 PM »

I use my thermometer more than anything else in my kitchen save for my knife. It’s saved me from food poisoning and also overcooked meat.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #188: October 08, 2021, 11:41:57 AM »
https://wtop.com/alexandria/2021/10/ah-beetz-new-havens-frank-pepe-apizza-to-open-in-alexandria/

:woop:  :woop:  :woop:

3231 duke street, which is the shopping center at the foot of quaker lane.  oddly enough, right near Yale Drive. Due to open early next summer. 

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #189: October 08, 2021, 12:52:16 PM »
https://wtop.com/alexandria/2021/10/ah-beetz-new-havens-frank-pepe-apizza-to-open-in-alexandria/

:woop:  :woop:  :woop:

3231 duke street, which is the shopping center at the foot of quaker lane.  oddly enough, right near Yale Drive. Due to open early next summer. 

Old Hechinger Plaza for some of the longtimers

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #190: October 08, 2021, 01:14:23 PM »
I wonder what the story was behind the Petes Apizza implosion?  Last I heard there was only one location left (Tenleytown), and I'm not even sure about that one.  I thought their "Staven" pie was outstanding.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #191: October 08, 2021, 02:32:39 PM »
Old Hechinger Plaza for some of the longtimers
yes. maybe where Baja Fresh is now. 

I used to go to Hannibals coffee when I lived by Huntington Metro.  They were doing OK until the 1995-96 government shut down.  They lost all their grab and go commuters, and a lot of the regulars got a little tight because it wasn't clear about the pay.  I'd also go to the Longhorn Steakhouse, and i forget what else there was in terms of food there. Maybe a Brueggers or Einstein as a stand alone at one end of the plaza.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #192: October 08, 2021, 02:39:01 PM »
I wonder what the story was behind the Petes Apizza implosion?  Last I heard there was only one location left (Tenleytown), and I'm not even sure about that one.  I thought their "Staven" pie was outstanding.
I wasn't wild about their slices, tbh, and never got a whole pie there.

I think that New Haven style maybe loses something on the reheat.  The crust isn't quite right reheated. 

I wonder if Pepe's can use coal in the ovens outside the original location?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #193: October 08, 2021, 08:27:21 PM »
Had a nice dinner at the Old Ebbitt and spending more of the kid's inheritance this weekend at the Hotel Washington...

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #194: October 08, 2021, 09:33:50 PM »
Had a nice dinner at the Old Abbett and spending more of the kid's inheritance this weekend at the Hotel Washington...

Oysters?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #195: October 08, 2021, 10:06:40 PM »
Had a nice dinner at the Old Abbett and spending more of the kid's inheritance this weekend at the Hotel Washington...
Good for you guys, enjoy!

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #196: October 08, 2021, 10:46:58 PM »
Oysters?

No...shrimp, salmon and filet...with the fudge brownie sundae for desert...

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #197: October 08, 2021, 10:47:19 PM »
Good for you guys, enjoy!

Yeah...no guilt here .. 😉

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #198: October 09, 2021, 05:35:28 AM »
Is that the old generous George’s location? My kids loved that place

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #199: October 09, 2021, 09:15:19 AM »
Is that the old generous George’s location? My kids loved that place
old ebbit or pepe's? Generous George was actoss the street from where Pepe's is going in. Gg was in its own building.