Author Topic: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2021)  (Read 6251 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2021)
« Reply #75: February 28, 2021, 07:55:23 PM »
Excellent story, the intersection of food, hockey, and beer is a winning trifecta  :D

I had Bugsy's pizza at a friend's house years ago (she was a Leafs fan and hosted a watch party for the then-annual 'Battle of Ontario'); somehow never made it to the establishment itself though.     

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #76: February 28, 2021, 08:27:08 PM »
that's a really great story Tom.  If you are ever back in Bugsy's, they have a ton of memorabilia still but it's upstairs near the bathrooms.

I love that old pic they used to have with the scars all over his face.  May have been some fresh stitches too, been a while.   

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #77: February 28, 2021, 10:13:23 PM »
Tucci’s show was all about Bologna tonight. :az:

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #78: February 28, 2021, 11:10:22 PM »
You seem awfully excited about the worst lunch meat.

:rimshot:

Offline imref

« Reply #79: February 28, 2021, 11:30:17 PM »
You seem awfully excited about the worst lunch meat.

:rimshot:

Funny. They actually explained how Americans turned mortadella into crappy bologna.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #80: March 01, 2021, 08:02:56 AM »
Funny. They actually explained how Americans turned mortadella into crappy bologna.

Offline imref

« Reply #81: March 02, 2021, 12:58:04 PM »
Four new episodes of Dinner Impossible coming to FoodTV starting March 11.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #82: March 02, 2021, 03:18:54 PM »
If you like NY style pizza I have found Lamonica’s dough to be fantastic. You can get it mail ordered. I stick it in the freezer and pull it out the morning I want to make pizza. It’s better than anything I do and has kept me from getting takeout.
Here is one of my attempts. (Image removed from quote.)
Excellent looking pizza margherita :clap: I tried watching the Tucci show just for the scenery but I get soooo hungry I can never get through it all!

Offline imref

« Reply #83: March 02, 2021, 04:36:33 PM »
Excellent looking pizza margherita :clap: I tried watching the Tucci show just for the scenery but I get soooo hungry I can never get through it all!

I've got a pretty good list of pasta and pizza dishes to make now. And then there's bolognese, my all-time favorite dish.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #84: March 02, 2021, 05:18:41 PM »
I've got a pretty good list of pasta and pizza dishes to make now. And then there's bolognese, my all-time favorite dish.
Love it too, just can't watch shows about it at 9:00 at night or I'm off the kitchen to find a poor substitute!

• babble on
« Reply #85: March 02, 2021, 06:13:50 PM »
Cooking after midnight is a lot of fun but the clean-up the next day kind of sucks  :P

Offline imref

« Reply #86: March 02, 2021, 07:18:34 PM »
Cooking after midnight is a lot of fun but the clean-up the next day kind of sucks  :P

it's great when you are in Spain, not so great when you are in NoVa.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #87: March 07, 2021, 08:53:38 AM »
Last night's dinner. I found this recipe in a copy of the Guardian I picked up at Heathrow once; based on the URL, it must have been at the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse in April 2007 on my way home from a trip to Bristol (the one in England, not the one where the speedway is). This was very good. I didn’t have any red chilies, so instead I used two teaspoons of Captain Mowatt's Canceaux Sauce. For the white wine, I used Fox Meadow Pinot Grigio. Their Le Renard Gris (a Pinot Gris) might have gone a little better due to the heat from the hot sauce, but they are out of that one and the winery's owner suggested the Pinot Grigio instead.

Instead of live lobsters, I used half a pound of cooked lobster I had gotten as part of a much larger order from Downeast Dayboat (which is also where I got the hot sauce). Not having to cook the lobsters and remove the meat sure simplifies the process big time!

Source for recipe (there are other interesting pasta recipes in the same article): https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2007/apr/29/foodanddrink.features10

Lobster spaghetti

When we put this on the menu at the Connaught, it was an instant bestseller. In fact, if we take it off we always get regular customers requesting it. Except for grilling, this is undoubtedly the best way to eat lobster. Use very fresh tomatoes for the sauce, and have only a touch of it—you mustn't overwhelm the delicate lobster. Always use dried spaghetti for this dish—it has a better consistency and is less sticky than fresh pasta.

Serves 4

2 live lobsters about 600–800g each
300g dried spaghetti
50ml olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
2 fresh red chillies, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
4 spring onions, finely chopped
3 tbsp white wine
4 large plum tomatoes, quartered, seeded and cut into 1cm dice
2 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil (chopped at last minute)
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Place the lobsters in the freezer for a couple of hours before you cook them. This will send them to sleep.

Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and then drop in your lobsters. Cook for 6-8 minutes until the lobsters have turned bright red in colour. Remove and set aside to drain and cool a little.

To remove the meat from the lobster, first twist off each claw and leg joint. Using lobster crackers or the back of a heavy knife, crack the claw and then twist out the lobster meat. Peel off the shell to access all the meat inside. Next twist the tail from the body by bending it back. Squeeze the sides of the tail together until they crack, and pull the tail meat out in one go. Remove the dark vein running down the back of the tail. Cut the meat into bite-sized pieces and set aside.

Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta for 7-8 minutes, or according to the packet instructions, until al dente.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in another large pan and add the chillies, garlic and spring onions. Season well and cook gently, stirring, for 1-2 minutes without colouring. Add the lobster meat and then the wine. Add a little more seasoning, then allow the wine to bubble and reduce right down for 2-3 minutes. Don't cook for longer than this or the lobster will go rubbery. Add the tomatoes, cook for one minute, then remove from the heat. Drain the pasta and add to the sauce. Toss well, then stir in the herbs, season to taste and serve drizzled with olive oil.

• babble on
« Reply #88: March 07, 2021, 11:58:29 AM »
That looks fantastic - also interesting that the recipe specifically calls for dried pasta.

Offline imref

« Reply #89: March 08, 2021, 10:22:14 PM »
From yesterday’s Tucci show in Lombardi. He cooked this for the staff using a 12 year aged cheese from the alps.

https://www.greatitalianchefs.com/recipes/pizzoccheri-recipe

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #90: March 13, 2021, 09:08:55 PM »
This is mostly for Skippy. Do you remember a sub shop up at about Huntington and Longwood, I think called Subs and Such? The most awesome subs. I was thinking about the sausage sub tonight. Sweet sausage, sauce, I used to get it with grilled onions and black olives. My brother and I would drive a half hour in from Newton to get subs there. Awesome. They used to come out best in the Boston magazine polls.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #91: March 15, 2021, 12:47:54 PM »
This is mostly for Skippy. Do you remember a sub shop up at about Huntington and Longwood, I think called Subs and Such? The most awesome subs. I was thinking about the sausage sub tonight. Sweet sausage, sauce, I used to get it with grilled onions and black olives. My brother and I would drive a half hour in from Newton to get subs there. Awesome. They used to come out best in the Boston magazine polls.
No, I was too buys stuffing myself with cheap pizza from Boston House of Pizza and splurging occasionally on a calzone from Our Kitchen to worry about subs lol I do get amused thinking that the gross but also cheap "roach coaches" that parked along the street at Northeastern would now be super-trendy food trucks :lol:

• babble on
« Reply #92: March 15, 2021, 02:10:30 PM »
There was a pizza & calzone truck that did the rounds of area campuses back in the day...can't recall the name, but it was awesome.  I think they were from Somerville? 

Offline imref

« Reply #93: March 23, 2021, 11:50:12 PM »
Anyone have any recommendations for outdoor dining in old town?  We’ve got some family coming into town and wanted to show them the area. Preference is for a grill type place though fish market might do given its an icon.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #94: March 24, 2021, 07:48:04 AM »
If you are going high end, Virtue Feed and Grain. Fish Market is on the section of king closed for outdoor dining. That gives them space, the downside is that there are tons of people walking near the diners. Personally, I’d go for Rustico which was always designed to have outdoor dining or something like lost dog or mason social in an area with less foot traffic

Offline imref

« Reply #95: March 24, 2021, 08:17:54 AM »
Thanks!

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #96: March 26, 2021, 09:07:26 AM »
Now thanks to British Airways you can make airline food in your own home! https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-9403119/British-Airways-launches-80-class-cabin-DIY-meal-kits.html

(Of course they're the meals they serve in first class. What is really odd about this is that BA have been phasing out first class in their flights.)

Offline imref

« Reply #97: March 26, 2021, 11:31:17 AM »
Robert Irvine's dinner impossible is back.

Offline imref

« Reply #98: March 29, 2021, 03:33:31 PM »
If you are going high end, Virtue Feed and Grain. Fish Market is on the section of king closed for outdoor dining. That gives them space, the downside is that there are tons of people walking near the diners. Personally, I’d go for Rustico which was always designed to have outdoor dining or something like lost dog or mason social in an area with less foot traffic

We ended up eating at Old House Cosmopolitan Grill German restaurant on Cameron Street. We had been there before a few years ago and enjoyed it. They have a covered 2nd floor patio that was perfect for our needs.  I highly recommend it.

https://www.oldhousecosmopolitan.com

• babble on
« Reply #99: March 29, 2021, 08:55:11 PM »
United too.  But other airlines seem to be going in the opposite direction (what else are you going to do with your cabin & shower equipped A380s??) 
What is really odd about this is that BA have been phasing out first class in their flights.)