Author Topic: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2021)  (Read 6245 times)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Re: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2021)
« Reply #50: February 18, 2021, 03:11:46 PM »
When I was in CT (for 27 years), nothing beat Pepe's

Still beats a pizza casserole  :spaz:  ;)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #51: February 25, 2021, 10:47:49 PM »
made something different tonight that was a big hit with the family:
https://themodernproper.com/turkey-quinoa-meatloaf

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #52: February 26, 2021, 12:56:17 AM »
I don't care what anyone says - Chicago style deep dish is amazing.  (rich, flaky crust + lots of cheese and sauce = win)

Offline blue911

« Reply #53: February 26, 2021, 09:35:29 AM »
I don't care what anyone says - Chicago style deep dish is amazing.  (rich, flaky crust + lots of cheese and sauce = win)

If you haven’t already had Pizza Rustica you should give it a go.

Online imref

« Reply #54: February 26, 2021, 09:49:56 AM »

Agreed. I grew up in NY and prefer NY-style pizza, but I'll pretty much enjoy any pizza. Chicago deep-dish isn't something I want to eat every day, but I enjoy a slice ever now and then. Other than Cici's, it's pretty rare to find any kind of bad pizza.

FWIW, we were in old town Alexandria a few weeks ago and decided to try Bugsy's, which is in the old Armand's location down near the waterfront. We used to go there all the time about 20 years ago when they had the Friday/Saturday late-night buffets.  The place hasn't changed a bit, though there is a new owner.  I learned that Armand's never went out of business, rather the guy who owned the franchise decided to abandon the agreement and just renamed it to Bugsy's (he was a former NHL player who won a cup with the Canadians). He sold it a few years ago and retired. The pizza was still pretty good, not great, but the nostalgia factor gives it an extra star.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #55: February 26, 2021, 10:12:56 AM »
If you haven’t already had Pizza Rustica you should give it a go.

It's been on my radar for a while but I've yet to try it.  I hate making dough at home and I'd have a snowball's chance in hell of finding it in a restaurant here.

Agreed. I grew up in NY and prefer NY-style pizza, but I'll pretty much enjoy any pizza. Chicago deep-dish isn't something I want to eat every day, but I enjoy a slice ever now and then. Other than Cici's, it's pretty rare to find any kind of bad pizza.

This is basically how I feel.  NY style is more of a once every week or so type of pizza, while Chicago-style is more of a once in a blue moon treat.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56: February 26, 2021, 12:24:21 PM »
If you like NY style pizza I have found Lamonica’s dough to be fantastic. You can get it mail ordered. I stick it in the freezer and pull it out the morning I want to make pizza. It’s better than anything I do and has kept me from getting takeout.
Here is one of my attempts.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #57: February 26, 2021, 12:30:25 PM »
If you like NY style pizza I have found Lamonica’s dough to be fantastic.

Daryle?

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #58: February 26, 2021, 12:35:49 PM »
Daryle?
The Mad Bomber.

I like Chicago style but only occasionally. Tastes better in Chicago also.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #59: February 26, 2021, 12:37:11 PM »
We picked strawberries this morning. They don’t seem to be that sweet. Looks like smoothies for the next week.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #60: February 26, 2021, 12:39:53 PM »
We picked strawberries this morning.

What do you do in your spare time? 

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #61: February 26, 2021, 12:51:12 PM »
What do you do in your spare time?
Farm the land?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #62: February 26, 2021, 12:56:30 PM »
Even I like Chicago deep dish pies.  The whole "it's not pizza" thing for me is more of a joke about names than it is about whether it is good or not.  I'll still say calling it pizza is like saying Max Scherzer is a southpaw.  Saying he's not a southpaw doesn't mean he's not great.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #63: February 26, 2021, 01:30:31 PM »
Quality mozz on there from the looks of it 
If you like NY style pizza I have found Lamonica’s dough to be fantastic. You can get it mail ordered. I stick it in the freezer and pull it out the morning I want to make pizza. It’s better than anything I do and has kept me from getting takeout.
Here is one of my attempts. (Image removed from quote.)

Online imref

« Reply #64: February 26, 2021, 03:06:19 PM »
Here is one of my attempts. (Image removed from quote.)

that looks fantastic.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #65: February 26, 2021, 03:10:22 PM »
When I want NY style pizza I get a Brooklyn crust pie from Dominos.  :couch:

Online imref

« Reply #66: February 27, 2021, 08:29:24 PM »
Stanley Tucci's CNN show on the food of Italy has been renewed for a second season. It has been outstanding so far.

And now I need to find guanciale to make proper Roma pastas.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67: February 27, 2021, 09:11:34 PM »
Stanley Tucci's CNN show on the food of Italy has been renewed for a second season. It has been outstanding so far.

And now I need to find guanciale to make proper Roma pastas.

Don’t know where you live but they sell it at Vace.

Online imref

« Reply #68: February 27, 2021, 09:19:09 PM »
Don’t know where you live but they sell it at Vace.

Where is Vace?  I think the Italian gourmet in Vienna has it.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69: February 27, 2021, 09:22:46 PM »
Where is Vace?  I think the Italian gourmet in Vienna has it.

DC and Bethesda. If you live in Virginia, I can’t help.

Online imref

« Reply #70: February 27, 2021, 09:49:12 PM »
DC and Bethesda. If you live in Virginia, I can’t help.

Yeah. Far western prince William county.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #71: February 27, 2021, 09:55:30 PM »
Yeah. Far western prince William county.

A Google search says to try The Italian Store.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72: February 27, 2021, 10:30:40 PM »
I was just going to suggest the Italian store. Get a sandwich when you go.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #73: February 28, 2021, 06:56:35 PM »

FWIW, we were in old town Alexandria a few weeks ago and decided to try Bugsy's, which is in the old Armand's location down near the waterfront. We used to go there all the time about 20 years ago when they had the Friday/Saturday late-night buffets.  The place hasn't changed a bit, though there is a new owner.  I learned that Armand's never went out of business, rather the guy who owned the franchise decided to abandon the agreement and just renamed it to Bugsy's (he was a former NHL player who won a cup with the Canadians). He sold it a few years ago and retired. The pizza was still pretty good, not great, but the nostalgia factor gives it an extra star.

Bryan "Bugsy" Watson was a bit more than the run of the mill hockey player.  I heard that when he retired he held the all-time record for penalty minutes in the NHL, but even if that's fake news he sure was a pest on the ice, and not afraid to mix it up.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Watson_(ice_hockey)

His bar above Armand's was originally known as "The Penalty Box", appropriately so.  It was THE hockey bar in the DC area for a long time.  Bugsy was a warm and generous host, and really well liked in the tight Old Town restaurant community.  One night my wife and I were finishing up our last beers in the Quarterdeck Lounge (upstairs bar above the Wharf restaurant) and Bugsy entered with a small entourage.  We were 2 at a table for 5, and the staff asked if we could give up our table for "Mr. Watson".  I kind of resented being asked and said no, but that we were happy to share the table with them.  After a brief consultation the grabbed a few more chairs and joined us.  I was sort of thinking maybe I'd made a mistake, but Bugsy sat next to me and was gracious in thanking us for sharing "our" table, and introduced each of his group to us.  He was being fully sincere.  We ordered another round, and I was chatting with him and after a while, told him (I was near drunk) that "when you played for the Red Wings, I used to "root for (the Caps') Blair Stewart to kick your ass".  He laughed and said "well you know Tom, I used to give ol' Blairsy noogies just like this", at which point he put me in a gentle headlock and proceed to demonstrate the technique.   :shock: :pray: 

Fortunately he was only playing.   :phew:   

Anyway, the insider recommendation for pizza there was the spinach pie.  Who would ever order that?  We had a friend who insisted and after trying it that was all we ever ordered.  He had to stop the Armand's recipes when he split with them but he still had a spinach pie on the menu, slightly altered if at all.

And I got noogies from one of the all time NHL's most notorious and penalized players ever, for which I am eternally grateful.

Online imref

« Reply #74: February 28, 2021, 07:19:30 PM »
that's a really great story Tom.  If you are ever back in Bugsy's, they have a ton of memorabilia still but it's upstairs near the bathrooms.