Author Topic: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2021)  (Read 6390 times)

Offline 1995hoo

Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2021)
« Topic Start: December 31, 2020, 04:16:02 PM »
No substantive post here, just starting the new thread for 2021 while I can still quote the post with the links to the prior years because that's easier than re-creating the links. Doing it a bit early because I don't plan on posting from my PC tomorrow (much easier to edit a post on the PC than the iPad), plus we closed the office early today but since it's raining I'm not going out for a walk.

Past iterations of this thread:

2009–12—http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=16296.0
2013—http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=30248.0
2014—http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=30500.0
2015—http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=32185.0
2016—http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=33647.0
2017—http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=34849.0
2018—http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=35999.0
2019—https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=37189.0
2020—https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=38444.0

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2021)
« Reply #1: December 31, 2020, 05:04:20 PM »
Thanks.  I will lock this to tomorrow morning.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #2: January 04, 2021, 08:44:32 AM »
Uh-oh, another food you can't eat anymore - Girl Scout cookies linked to child labour in Indonesian and Malaysian palm oil industry: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/child-labor-in-palm-oil-industry-tied-to-girl-scout-cookies/2021/01/02/7e836b20-4d60-11eb-97b6-4eb9f72ff46b_story.html

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #3: January 04, 2021, 09:24:52 AM »
Happy National Spaghetti Day!!

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #4: January 04, 2021, 09:35:40 AM »
On Saturday night we were planning to cook some pollock we received from Maine on Thursday, but I had stupidly put it all in the freezer (because I hadn't been sure when we'd cook it) and it didn't thaw in time. So we decided to make French dip sandwiches instead: One of our relatives in Florida sells Pampered Chef stuff and for Christmas she gave us some sort of monthly subscription whereby we receive their various seasoning packets each month, along with some recipe suggestions to go with them. One of the ones we received is Dijon Mustard Rub and the recipe was for French dip, so we decided to give that a try. Turned out to be really good and really easy. You need the rub, sub rolls, some plain Greek yogurt, horseradish, a pound or so of flank steak, an onion, a quarter-teaspoon of salt, and half a cup of beef broth. Mix the yogurt, some horseradish, and some of the rub in a small bowl and set it aside. Season the steak with a tablespoon of the rub, heat some canola oil in a frying pan over medium, and sear the steak for about four minutes on a side. Take it out of the pan and throw in the sliced onion with the salt and cook for about four minutes until the onions are softened. Then put the steak on top of the onions and stick in a 425° oven for eight to ten minutes. Remove everything from the pan and, while the steak rests, (1) toast the sub rolls and (2) put the beef broth and some more of the rub in the frying pan and simmer for a few minutes to make the dipping jus. Slice the steak thinly against the grain, brush the rolls with the yogurt mixture, and serve.

This was really surprisingly delicious. We didn't have any horseradish and I forgot to look for it at the store, so we'll have to try it again.

Obviously the Christmas present is somewhat of a marketing ploy to get us to buy more of the seasonings. In this particular case, it just might have worked!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5: January 04, 2021, 11:22:48 AM »
On Saturday night we were planning to cook some pollock we received from Maine on Thursday, but I had stupidly put it all in the freezer (because I hadn't been sure when we'd cook it) and it didn't thaw in time. So we decided to make French dip sandwiches instead: One of our relatives in Florida sells Pampered Chef stuff and for Christmas she gave us some sort of monthly subscription whereby we receive their various seasoning packets each month, along with some recipe suggestions to go with them. One of the ones we received is Dijon Mustard Rub and the recipe was for French dip, so we decided to give that a try. Turned out to be really good and really easy. You need the rub, sub rolls, some plain Greek yogurt, horseradish, a pound or so of flank steak, an onion, a quarter-teaspoon of salt, and half a cup of beef broth. Mix the yogurt, some horseradish, and some of the rub in a small bowl and set it aside. Season the steak with a tablespoon of the rub, heat some canola oil in a frying pan over medium, and sear the steak for about four minutes on a side. Take it out of the pan and throw in the sliced onion with the salt and cook for about four minutes until the onions are softened. Then put the steak on top of the onions and stick in a 425° oven for eight to ten minutes. Remove everything from the pan and, while the steak rests, (1) toast the sub rolls and (2) put the beef broth and some more of the rub in the frying pan and simmer for a few minutes to make the dipping jus. Slice the steak thinly against the grain, brush the rolls with the yogurt mixture, and serve.

This was really surprisingly delicious. We didn't have any horseradish and I forgot to look for it at the store, so we'll have to try it again.

Obviously the Christmas present is somewhat of a marketing ploy to get us to buy more of the seasonings. In this particular case, it just might have worked!
don't buy this tip from me without checking it out first, but IIRC that when my Mom made fish chowder, she would keep some of the white fish frozen so it would not break up as easily when it cooked.  She might have mixed some frozen and some unfrozen.  Thawed or fresh fish will break up into the chowder when it is cooking.  Again, don't do this without verifying, but that would be an idea for the pollock. 

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #6: January 04, 2021, 09:18:53 PM »
Greek yoghurt is a really important fridge staple at Chez Chat.  Some got chucked into last night's stroganoff.   

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7: January 05, 2021, 11:54:30 AM »
Greek yoghurt is a really important fridge staple at Chez Chat.  Some got chucked into last night's stroganoff.   
man, I used to love beef stroganoff.  I even made it in college as a dinner for 10 my freshman year when the dining halls were on strike.  The recipe I used to work with was a can of campbell's golden mushroom soup, ketchup, and sour cream for the gravy after grilling up beef and onions.  I forget the proportions and the like, and maybe there was another ingredient in the sauce like worcestershire (dunno).  Haven't made it since I started obsessing about fat. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #8: January 05, 2021, 12:13:47 PM »

Greek yogurt pancakes are really good.   We also marinate chicken often in greek yogurt, lemon juice, and garlic.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #9: January 10, 2021, 09:48:55 PM »
This is a great white fish recipe.  The spices mixed with peppers & olives give it a great flavor.  And the recipe is an easy pan fry.

https://www.themediterraneandish.com/mediterranean-pan-seared-sea-bass-recipe/

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #10: January 11, 2021, 07:44:31 AM »
My mom recommended this skirt steak recipe from the Post and we tried it last night. I thought it was excellent. Ms1995hoo griped about having to chew her steak too much.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/skirt-steak-creamed-mushrooms/17630/

I assume it’ll be paywalled for some of you, so I’ll paste in the text later when I’m at a PC.

Edited to add:

[They say this makes 4 servings. It served the two of us.]

Ingredients

For the mushrooms:
    3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    1 medium (3 ounces) yellow onion, thinly sliced
    2 cloves garlic, minced or finely grated
    10 ounces fresh mushrooms, such as baby bella or button, wiped clean, stemmed and thinly sliced
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
    1/2 cup dry sherry, Madeira, or white wine [I used Harvey's Bristol Cream]
    1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, plus more for serving
    1/2 cup heavy cream

For the steak:
    1 pound skirt steak, cut into 4 equal pieces
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried (optional)
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

Directions

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil and melt the butter. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until the onion begins to soften, about 3 minutes.

Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute more, then add the mushrooms, salt, and pepper and stir to combine.

Cook until the liquid released by the mushrooms evaporates and the onions and mushrooms wilt, 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the mushroom mixture starts to stick to the bottom of the pan, decrease the heat to medium.

Add the sherry and thyme and stir to combine, scraping up any bits stuck to the bottom of the skillet. Decrease the heat to low and simmer, stirring a couple of times, until the sherry evaporates, 3 to 5 minutes.

Stir in the cream, then taste and adjust seasonings, if needed. Let the mushrooms simmer for about 2 minutes. Remove the sauce from the heat.

Make the steak: Pat the meat dry and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and thyme, if using.

In a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the steak and cook, undisturbed, 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. The meat should be just charred.

Transfer the steak to a cutting board, let rest for 2 minutes and slice each piece thinly against the grain.

Divide the steak among plates. Spoon creamed mushrooms on top and sprinkle with more fresh thyme leaves, if using. Serve warm.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #11: January 16, 2021, 11:08:20 PM »

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #12: January 22, 2021, 07:55:48 PM »
DDD just did a piece from the Outer Banks Brewing Station. That shrimp and grits looked awesome.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #13: January 22, 2021, 08:27:47 PM »
DDD just did a piece from the Outer Banks Brewing Station. That shrimp and grits looked awesome.
Did whatshisname slobber in the food as they made it as he often does? 

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #14: January 22, 2021, 09:02:28 PM »
Outer Banks Brewing Station has great food - has been like that for almost 20 years.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #15: January 22, 2021, 09:06:25 PM »
Did whatshisname slobber in the food as they made it as he often does? 

I often shake my head the way he turns a hopping kitchen into his own picnic table.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16: January 23, 2021, 09:59:40 AM »
I almost hate to add this here, but, if you go to Dunkin and try the new Southwest Veggie power breakfast sandwich, get it on a bagel or an english muffin because the multigrain thin can't really handle the morningstar farms veggie patty.  Frankly, this one is not going to be in my rotation once the bonus points for perks are gone.  Go with the Beyond Sausage sandwich or the regular turkey sausage power breakfast (on the thin) because the patties stick together better and the sandwich doesn't collapse. 

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #19: January 30, 2021, 01:12:41 PM »
I doubt I will ever actually make this. Too many ingredients and too much hassle. But I want to try this. The URL alone will tell you why.

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/poutine-style-twice-baked-potatoes

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #20: January 30, 2021, 01:47:09 PM »
I doubt I will ever actually make this. Too many ingredients and too much hassle. But I want to try this. The URL alone will tell you why.

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/poutine-style-twice-baked-potatoes

:az:

I once had homemade poutine cooked by Canadians, it was heaven (and a heart attack) on a plate.

If I'm ever on death row, my final meals will be loco moco for breakfast, poutine for lunch, and a nice garden salad for dinner :-)

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #21: January 30, 2021, 04:25:35 PM »

If I'm ever on death row, my final meals will be loco moco for breakfast, poutine for lunch, and a nice garden salad for dinner :-)

A former colleague of mine once said, "If I were on death row, my last meal would be something that gives one explosive gas so that when I crap myself in extremis there will be a nice souvenir by which the spectators can remember me."

Of course, that was in the days of the electric chair. Who knows whether your bowels will let go in the same way following a lethal injection.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #22: January 30, 2021, 04:50:38 PM »
Check your labels carefully:

https://abc7ny.com/target-chaokoh-coconut-milk-forced-monkey-labor-costco/10030001

How do you force a monkey to climb a tree and harvest coconuts? There has to be something in it for the monkey. Is this different than draft animals? And Costco sells meat harvested in the normal, horrific ways, right?

Seems like a weird hill to die on.

Offline blue911

« Reply #23: January 30, 2021, 04:59:09 PM »

Who cares why as long as they do the dying part.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #24: January 30, 2021, 05:05:21 PM »
How do you force a monkey to climb a tree and harvest coconuts? There has to be something in it for the monkey. Is this different than draft animals? And Costco sells meat harvested in the normal, horrific ways, right?

Can’t they just unionize?