Author Topic: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2021)  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2021)
« Reply #175: September 08, 2021, 08:55:31 AM »
I like the chicken from Cane’s.  Something about the flavor of the breading and even the smell at Zaxby’s that I don’t like. My wife likes their chicken better though. I like the Zaxby’s fries. Have some kind of seasoning on them that makes me not able to stop when I eat them.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #176: September 08, 2021, 12:19:00 PM »
I like the chicken from Cane’s.  Something about the flavor of the breading and even the smell at Zaxby’s that I don’t like. My wife likes their chicken better though. I like the Zaxby’s fries. Have some kind of seasoning on them that makes me not able to stop when I eat them.
Zaxby's fries are the bomb, sooooo good!

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #177: September 08, 2021, 01:31:29 PM »
I've been doing Hello Fresh for 2 months with my wife and it may be because we're crappy cooks but it's been incredible. Takes out all the worrying about what to make for dinner and the meals have all been fantastic. I've even learned a ton which is great. Grocery bill evens out too because I'm not wasting food. We do 3 meals a week for $65 a week, so about $11 a person per meal - not cheap by any means, but I'm also not going to the store every week to get stuff or throwing away anything.

Offline bluestreak

« Reply #178: September 08, 2021, 04:50:31 PM »
I've been doing Hello Fresh for 2 months with my wife and it may be because we're crappy cooks but it's been incredible. Takes out all the worrying about what to make for dinner and the meals have all been fantastic. I've even learned a ton which is great. Grocery bill evens out too because I'm not wasting food. We do 3 meals a week for $65 a week, so about $11 a person per meal - not cheap by any means, but I'm also not going to the store every week to get stuff or throwing away anything.

I did Hello Fresh a while ago and I can attest that it is indeed awesome. Recipes were good, you learn a whole bunch of cooking techniques and it’s convenient and fun. And while the 11 bucks isn’t cheap, it’s cheaper than eating out which is the alternative.
After 4-5 months I got confident enough in my cooking skills to stop and start cooking my own stuff. I think I’m pretty good 2 years later. So in that regard Hello Fresh was pretty life changing if you’re a marginal to bad cook.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #179: September 08, 2021, 05:20:16 PM »
I am sure I will hit a point where I decide I've learned enough but man, not having to think about what to make for dinner is such a gamechanger for me and my wife. I do 99% of the cooking and if I forget to thaw chicken or don't have all the right spices it gets blown up. Just being able to grab the bag with all the stuff in it makes my life so much easier which has been priceless for us. I would like to try the other meal kit services just to see what they are like, too. But we're definitely fans.

We've gotten into the routine of:

M: HF
T: HF
W: Date night (cook pizza together or go out, etc.)
F: Make something on our own, dinner with friends, etc.
S/S: Go out, make something on our own, etc.

One thing I've learned is that I value time more than most things. I just don't have enough time. So relieving that stress of planning meals is amazing.

Offline English Natsie

• Have you spotted it yet?..
« Reply #180: September 08, 2021, 05:26:34 PM »
I can heat up a can of baked beans as well as anyone... :D

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 2022
« Reply #181: September 08, 2021, 05:44:33 PM »
I am sure I will hit a point where I decide I've learned enough but man, not having to think about what to make for dinner is such a gamechanger for me and my wife. I do 99% of the cooking and if I forget to thaw chicken or don't have all the right spices it gets blown up. Just being able to grab the bag with all the stuff in it makes my life so much easier which has been priceless for us. I would like to try the other meal kit services just to see what they are like, too. But we're definitely fans.

We've gotten into the routine of:

M: HF
W: Date night (cook pizza together or go out, etc.)
F: Make something on our own, dinner with friends, etc.
S/S: Go out, make something on our own, etc.

One thing I've learned is that I value time more than most things. I just don't have enough time. So relieving that stress of planning meals is amazing.

this is why I love instpots, being able to cook frozen meat without thawing.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #182: September 08, 2021, 06:21:50 PM »
I got an instantpot a few years ago as a gift and have used the pressure cooking feature like one time. i've seen some great recipes with it but have never explored using it much

Offline dracnal

« Reply #183: September 08, 2021, 06:39:42 PM »

While it's not accurate from a biological perspective, my personal definition of adulthood is the point in life where time becomes more important than money.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #184: September 11, 2021, 12:17:38 PM »
FYI, make sure you cook food all the way. My dumb self didn't cook sausage all the way through on Thursday. I now have food poisoning. I got worried I contracted the Rona from daughter Mattionals now being at day care for 8 hours a week, but she and wife are fine (wife and I are fully vaxxed) and I have no other symptoms of COVID. Salmonella symptoms? SUPER check.

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #185: September 11, 2021, 05:41:42 PM »
FYI, make sure you cook food all the way. My dumb self didn't cook sausage all the way through on Thursday. I now have food poisoning. I got worried I contracted the Rona from daughter Mattionals now being at day care for 8 hours a week, but she and wife are fine (wife and I are fully vaxxed) and I have no other symptoms of COVID. Salmonella symptoms? SUPER check.

Oh man.  Sorry to hear it.  I've always said a quality meat thermometer, although seemingly pricey ($70+), is worth its weight in gold. 

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #186: September 11, 2021, 05:55:41 PM »
Oh man.  Sorry to hear it.  I've always said a quality meat thermometer, although seemingly pricey ($70+), is worth its weight in gold.

You know, the even worse part is own one. Even worse than. That is my wife cut into hers and said, this is too pink and put it in the microwave until it was thoroughly cooked. She had chicken sausage and mine was pork so I thought nothing of it and mine was not squishy or cool at all. Still, last night into today I've paid the price of my misdeeds. Took two hour long naps today after spending a bit of time walking around town this morning.

I'm about 60% back and I bet a good night of sleep will really help me out. Still, it's solely my fault.

Offline bluestreak

« Reply #187: September 11, 2021, 06:44:44 PM »

I use my thermometer more than anything else in my kitchen save for my knife. It’s saved me from food poisoning and also overcooked meat.