Author Topic: White's Ferry  (Read 809 times)

Offline Count Walewski

Re: White's Ferry
« Reply #25: December 30, 2020, 08:53:18 PM »
You can visit Jones Point in Alexandria and they have lots of informational signs about the MD-DC-VA border. King Charles thought he was doing a clever when he gave the entire river to Maryland, but the river moves...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #26: December 31, 2020, 11:45:26 AM »
Exactly, which is why both counties could’ve moved in that direction long ago rather than potentially pointless years of litigation

Time to crack the eminent domain whip?    :whip:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #27: December 31, 2020, 11:47:22 AM »
As I recall Va sued Md when all they wanted to do was move a water intake pipe to a different location in the Potomac. The case went to the supreme court where he supremes agreed with Va.

They wanted to move the intake because their piss-poor environmental controls combined with excessive development were causing excessive sediment and other pollution on their side.  They wanted cleaner water, so reach towards the Md shore after screwing up their own side.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #28: December 31, 2020, 12:55:53 PM »
Time to crack the eminent domain whip?    :whip:
I suspect that's where it ends up.  It's just the county and VA don't want to pay for it all.  But hey, just imagine if MD wanted VA to pay for improvements on their shores?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #29: December 31, 2020, 01:06:44 PM »
I suspect that's where it ends up.  It's just the county and VA don't want to pay for it all.  But hey, just imagine if MD wanted VA to pay for improvements on their shores?

I doubt Loudon cares much one way one way or the other let alone that state of Virginia

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #30: December 31, 2020, 02:32:50 PM »
I'm surprised, but it looks clear.  I guess Gravelly Point is DC as well since it is on an island as well.  Just checked - for some reason, GP is in Arlington, VA and not DC.  I guess Roaches Run and the water behind it do not connect to the channel that creates Lady Bird Johnson Island.

It's based on where the river was in the 1840s, when Arlington (then Alexandria County) and Alexandria got sent back to VA.  Basically, some idiot lawyer messed up.  So part of the DCA runways are DC because a lot of that is landfill.

But yes, Roaches doesn't connect to Boundary Channel.  That goes out via the entrance to the yacht dock near the Pentagon.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #31: December 31, 2020, 03:15:49 PM »
It's based on where the river was in the 1840s, when Arlington (then Alexandria County) and Alexandria got sent back to VA.  Basically, some idiot lawyer messed up.  So part of the DCA runways are DC because a lot of that is landfill.

But yes, Roaches doesn't connect to Boundary Channel.  That goes out via the entrance to the yacht dock near the Pentagon.
the wiki on Gravelly Point says it was owned by the Alexander Family (for whom Alexandria is named) and had a plantation - Abingdon - on it. There's occasional efforts to rename it after Nancy Reagan, I guess because why should Lady Bird get an island and Nancy be left out.

If you walk from the garages, I think A but it might be B, there's a historic ruin of part of Abingdon.