Author Topic: Soccer 2020-21 (A/K/A Futbol)  (Read 6551 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: Soccer 2020-21 (A/K/A Futbol)
« Reply #175: August 13, 2021, 07:08:10 PM »
Do other countries have equal pay? I can’t say I follow that.

I’m not rooting for the Wizards until Ted gives equal pay to the Mystics.  At least they won a championship.

I'm not rooting for the Nats until the FredNats get equal pay...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #176: August 13, 2021, 08:46:42 PM »
How do the revenues compare? 

Thanks to the intertwined tv deals, there is no way of knowing

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #177: August 13, 2021, 08:49:22 PM »
Do other countries have equal pay? I can’t say I follow that.

I’m not rooting for the Wizards until Ted gives equal pay to the Mystics.  At least they won a championship.

Yes

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-soccer-england-pay-idUKKBN25U101

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #178: August 13, 2021, 08:56:57 PM »
Yes

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-soccer-england-pay-idUKKBN25U101

Caboclo, however, said prize money from the World Cup would be proportionally equal to what global soccer governing body FIFA pays the competing nations.
[…]
FIFA offered prize money of $30 million to the teams in the 2019 women’s World Cup, while the men took home $400 million.

So, No

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #179: August 13, 2021, 09:02:29 PM »
Also, does the Manchester United Women’s team pay the same as the men’s?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #180: August 13, 2021, 09:05:44 PM »
Also, does the Manchester United Women’s team pay the same as the men’s?

Is Manchester United a national governing body?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #181: August 13, 2021, 09:07:02 PM »
In a statement released to British media, the FA revealed parity on match fees had been in place since January.

“The FA pays its women’s players exactly the same as their male counterparts for representing England, both in terms of match fees and match bonuses,” the FA said in a statement.

Still better than the US

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #182: August 14, 2021, 03:23:41 AM »
Unfortunately, it isn't about gender equality. Soccer clubs are businesses, so renumeration is dependent upon potential, or actual, contribution to the revenue stream - be that gate receipts, merchandising, TV rights and so on. So, for the Manchester Derby there would be 75,000 in the stadium. For the women's Manchester Derby, maybe 2,500. The English Premier League has the most in-demand TV rights in the world, behind subscription paywalls, in many countries. The women's game is generally free-to-air,with only a fraction of the audience for the men's game. Once the women's game is as lucrative as the men's then they will be paid accordingly.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #183: August 14, 2021, 11:29:17 AM »
Yea here hockey players don’t make as much as other major sports. Football players don’t make as much as baseball and basketball and don’t have no cut contracts. So it’s economics. I suppose you can make an argument to pay the national teams the same but there seems more interest and attendance and viewership at the men’s championships. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #184: August 14, 2021, 11:41:38 AM »
Yea here hockey players don’t make as much as other major sports. Football players don’t make as much as baseball and basketball and don’t have no cut contracts. So it’s economics. I suppose you can make an argument to pay the national teams the same but there seems more interest and attendance and viewership at the men’s championships. 

The women get better ratings

https://www.wsj.com/articles/womens-world-cup-final-drew-higher-u-s-ratings-than-mens-final-11562628017

Also more jersey sales

https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/uswnt-nike-soccer-jersey-sales

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #185: August 14, 2021, 12:05:13 PM »
The women get better ratings

https://www.wsj.com/articles/womens-world-cup-final-drew-higher-u-s-ratings-than-mens-final-11562628017

Also more jersey sales

https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/uswnt-nike-soccer-jersey-sales
Well yea for the US. But for most countries that is not true. Anyway the women’s team is headed downhill so no worries.  :hysterical:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #186: August 14, 2021, 12:40:25 PM »
Well yea for the US. But for most countries that is not true. Anyway the women’s team is headed downhill so no worries.  :hysterical:

Well yea, the US licensing pays the national teams is based on rights fees in the US

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #187: August 14, 2021, 12:57:41 PM »
Well yea, the US licensing pays the national teams is based on rights fees in the US
What I don’t understand is why you don’t like the USMNT? What do any of their players or coaches have to do with what the USWNT is paid. I’m all for paying the women the same. They obviously cannot make anywhere close to the money on their club teams.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #188: August 14, 2021, 01:58:41 PM »
He’s not a starter on his premier league team. If he wasn’t American, he’d just be another good premier league player.
BTW,
Pulisic started and scored a goal today. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #189: August 14, 2021, 02:36:25 PM »
https://ussoccerplayers.com/usmnt-players-abroad

Ok, I count

Bundesliga  5
Bundesliga 2:  3
EPL: 5
England Championship League: 5
La Liga: 2
Ligue One: 1.
Serie A: 2

Not bad and much better than a few years ago. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #190: August 14, 2021, 05:04:18 PM »
What I don’t understand is why you don’t like the USMNT? What do any of their players or coaches have to do with what the USWNT is paid. I’m all for paying the women the same. They obviously cannot make anywhere close to the money on their club teams.

Right now the national teams have their tv rights bundled with MLS and sold as a package. That package overvalues the mls and ends up screwing the women. Fortunately it’s being sunset, but it is one of the excuses for the pay disparity

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #191: August 14, 2021, 05:07:22 PM »
https://ussoccerplayers.com/usmnt-players-abroad

Ok, I count

Bundesliga  5
Bundesliga 2:  3
EPL: 5
England Championship League: 5
La Liga: 2
Ligue One: 1.
Serie A: 2

Not bad and much better than a few years ago. 

It’s not bad for the US, but compared to the countries that the US is supposed to be competitive with, it’s pretty meh.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #192: August 14, 2021, 05:41:22 PM »
Given that MLS only started in 1994 (as the price of getting the World Cup in the US) and the strength of grassroots soccer I think the US has done pretty well. To be honest, most over here didn't have much hope for MLS, given both the previous history of the professional game in the US and opposition from the established major league sports. The development of the US national team has been encouraging - by contrast (looking in the opposite direction), although much is made of the NFL's position over here (over a similar timescale to MLS in the US) it is still based on US NFL teams - no local franchise has been developed in the way the US national team has progressed. If you'd told anyone, in '94, that the US would have a top 10 ranked team they'd have laughed - so credit where it's due.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #193: August 14, 2021, 06:17:14 PM »
Given that MLS only started in 1994 (as the price of getting the World Cup in the US) and the strength of grassroots soccer I think the US has done pretty well. To be honest, most over here didn't have much hope for MLS, given both the previous history of the professional game in the US and opposition from the established major league sports. The development of the US national team has been encouraging - by contrast (looking in the opposite direction), although much is made of the NFL's position over here (over a similar timescale to MLS in the US) it is still based on US NFL teams - no local franchise has been developed in the way the US national team has progressed. If you'd told anyone, in '94, that the US would have a top 10 ranked team they'd have laughed - so credit where it's due.
there's actually been a few Germans in the NFL.  Linemen, especially. One started for the Patriots for a number of years.  But in terms of position players, I don't think any from England.

As for baseball, the Netherlands has produced a number of players in MLB. Some of that's due to their colonies like Aruba and Curacao.  Italy has had a league for years, and there's a few Germans like Max Kepler (mostly kids of servicemen, I guess).

But MLS seems pretty well rooted by now.  Moreso than the women's league, which I think has been surpassed by the european national leagues.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #194: August 14, 2021, 06:42:41 PM »
In 1994 the US won a game and advanced out of group play, that’s one of the high water marks. I think the mls is definitely headed in the right direction now that they are finally investing heavily in academies

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #195: August 14, 2021, 06:52:09 PM »
But in terms of position players, I don't think any from England

John Smith - Patriots kicker from'74 to '83

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #196: August 14, 2021, 06:56:53 PM »
Contrary to what HS is saying, nobody expects the US to win the World Cup. That would be insane. But what is reasonable would be a quarterfinal run or, if things go really well, a semifinal run. The US made it to the quarters in 2002, so it’s not crazy. Semifinals tends to be where the upstart teams tend to flame out.
The other problem is that unless the US is one of the seeded teams, they will almost by necessity be in a group of death. Since they are typically one of the strongest teams in their pot.
I’m excited to see how they do. I’m under no delusions, but should be fun.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #197: August 14, 2021, 06:57:01 PM »
Lille 0 - Nice 4   The defending Ligue 1 champions soundly beaten by Nice - managed by Christoph Galtier, who led Lille to the title last season.... :hysterical:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #198: August 14, 2021, 07:00:50 PM »
Contrary to what HS is saying, nobody expects the US to win the World Cup. That would be insane. But what is reasonable would be a quarterfinal run or, if things go really well, a semifinal run. The US made it to the quarters in 2002, so it’s not crazy. Semifinals tends to be where the upstart teams tend to flame out.
The other problem is that unless the US is one of the seeded teams, they will almost by necessity be in a group of death. Since they are typically one of the strongest teams in their pot.
I’m excited to see how they do. I’m under no delusions, but should be fun.
It beats watching Michael Bradley out there year after year. I would say with the age of the top talents 2026 would be even more interesting. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #199: August 14, 2021, 09:16:54 PM »
John Smith - Patriots kicker from'74 to '83
I am a fan of John Smith, but he wasn't a position player.  Smith did an nfl highlights show in England for years, I think. 

A radio show, the Sports Huddle, in Boston went to England in the early 70s to try to discover"Superfoot", a soccer style kicker for the Patriots,  back when they were starting to become common. Smith was actually the runner up to a guy named Tom Walker, but Walker didn't pan out.  The Pats then brought Smith over and he was terrific.

The Pats used to have problems playing in Miami. For 18 or so years, until the 1985 playoffs, they lost every year. One of their best shots wasin 1980. Smirh was lined up for the winning kick, and Howard Cosell broke in to announce that John Lennon had been shot. I believe that cursed Smith. He missed.