Author Topic: Nationals Prospect Reports / Minor League Rankings 2021  (Read 3773 times)

Offline UMDNats

Keith Law is still convinced Juan Soto sucks.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Apparently vaquero is a switch hitter now and we’re linked to a top 2022-2023 international, Anthony Gutierrez

https://twitter.com/nationalssource/status/1403028779438649344?s=21

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Mlb.com upadsted their top 100 to include new draftees.  House clocks in at 60.  Ruiz is 19, cavalli 41, and gray 54.

They seem too high on some guys.  Mayer, Leiter, and lawler all ranked in the 9-13 range above guys like Bart, Noelvi Marte, and volpe.

How the freak is Leiter 12 and cavalli only 41.  Cavalli should be a top 15 guy for sure.   

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

How the freak is Leiter 12 and cavalli only 41.  Cavalli should be a top 15 guy for sure.   
pedigree, and pedigree only.  Cavalli was off their radar at the start of the year, so to bump him up to 41 is a huge move in their mind.  They aren't going to admit to have been off that much in one season.  Winter, he may move up again to the 20s, especially if there are graduations like Gray.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Old but interesting.  From 2018. Has some takes on Keibert and mason Thompson

https://edge-forums.nbcsports.com/topic/652022-keibert-ruiz-c-dodgers/

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
https://www.mlb.com/prospects/international/

Mlb.com international prospect rankings are out.  Vaquero is #2 and we’re also the favorites for the #6 guy.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
pedigree, and pedigree only.  Cavalli was off their radar at the start of the year, so to bump him up to 41 is a huge move in their mind.  They aren't going to admit to have been off that much in one season.  Winter, he may move up again to the 20s, especially if there are graduations like Gray.

Pedigree. And a better fastball. Better curveball. Much better command. And a better understanding of pitching overall.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Vaquero looks like a stud.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Pedigree. And a better fastball. Better curveball. Much better command. And a better understanding of pitching overall.
not saying he should be rated higher than Leiter.  Just saying that the 30 place difference in the top 100 is explained by writers not wanting to admit they were far off in their rating of Cavalli in the offseason. 

Next year, how many lists will identify him as the biggest mover up year to year?  Do you disagree that the consensus rating will likely be in the 20s next year?

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
An interesting tidbit that displeased me about the nationals system.

The Yankees have 10 hitters in their mlb.com top prospects list.  8 of them had an OPS of .800 or better while playing at least some full season ball.  The two that didn’t are teenagers (one of which is Dominguez).  For perspective, the nats have 11 hitters in their top 20.  Out of them only Donovan Casey, Brady house (low playing time and complex league), and Roismar Quintana (7 games at complex league) broke the .800 OPS barrier.
6 of the Yankees 10 hit 16 or more homers as well.  Only one nats prospect broke 16 from their top 30 and that would be Ruiz, a recent graduate who got most of those with the dodgers.

I’d break the pitching in the yanks system down too to see how we stack up but yikes, I don’t know if I want to anymore.

We could make trades with the yanks and target guys outside their top 5 hitting prospects and still significantly boost our system.  Maybe we could buy one or two if we take the hicks contract?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

An interesting tidbit that displeased me about the nationals system.

The Yankees have 10 hitters in their mlb.com top prospects list.  8 of them had an OPS of .800 or better while playing at least some full season ball.  The two that didn’t are teenagers (one of which is Dominguez).  For perspective, the nats have 11 hitters in their top 20.  Out of them only Donovan Casey, Brady house (low playing time and complex league), and Roismar Quintana (7 games at complex league) broke the .800 OPS barrier.
6 of the Yankees 10 hit 16 or more homers as well.  Only one nats prospect broke 16 from their top 30 and that would be Ruiz, a recent graduate who got most of those with the dodgers.

I’d break the pitching in the yanks system down too to see how we stack up but yikes, I don’t know if I want to anymore.

We could make trades with the yanks and target guys outside their top 5 hitting prospects and still significantly boost our system.  Maybe we could buy one or two if we take the hicks contract?

One grain of salt there: except Tampa (low-A), all the Yankees' affiliates play in hitter-friendly parks.  Not so on the Nats side, where Harrisburg in particular is a pitchers' park.  Yes, what you note is a problem, but it's also not apples to apples. 

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Adding, on the Yankees: it appears that Brian Cashman loads up on big, slow power hitters who are mediocre fielders. Year after year. Note this year's Twin Towers Plus, Judge-Stanton-Gallo, along with Sanchez, Torres, and Rizzo. They built themselves an "all short-porch" ballpark a decade ago, and they've stumbled ever since, yet they fit the same sort of teams to their park. Their pitching is never much, but it's not clear if that's the fault of the pitchers or that the pitchers work in a place designed for pop-fly home runs. Aaron Boone, in end-of-year talks, seems to be saying that "teams have passed us", even though the Yankees spend and spend.

Yankee hitters are not necessarily to be coveted.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Adding, on the Yankees: it appears that Brian Cashman loads up on big, slow power hitters who are mediocre fielders. Year after year. Note this year's Twin Towers Plus, Judge-Stanton-Gallo, along with Sanchez, Torres, and Rizzo. They built themselves an "all short-porch" ballpark a decade ago, and they've stumbled ever since, yet they fit the same sort of teams to their park. Their pitching is never much, but it's not clear if that's the fault of the pitchers or that the pitchers work in a place designed for pop-fly home runs. Aaron Boone, in end-of-year talks, seems to be saying that "teams have passed us", even though the Yankees spend and spend.

I’m surprised how people have soured so much on voit.  I would love him on the nats

Offline Natsinpwc

The Yankees were 6th in MLB in team ERA this year.  So not clear what you mean about the pitching.  The hitting was what failed them this year.  And Tampa is darn good so it was the wild card for them.  I suspect if they played Boston 10 games they would have split them.  They missed DJ also.  The Yankees were 92-70 this year.  If that is failure I am in favor of failure. 

Edit:  Over the past 4 full seasons they have 91, 100, 103 and 92 wins.  Not bad.  As we know with the Nats bad things can happen to good teams in the playoffs.  And you may even play cheaters.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
The Yankees were 6th in MLB in team ERA this year.  So not clear what you mean about the pitching.  The hitting was what failed them this year.  And Tampa is darn good so it was the wild card for them.  I suspect if they played Boston 10 games they would have split them.  They missed DJ also.  The Yankees were 92-70 this year.  If that is failure I am in favor of failure. 

Edit:  Over the past 4 full seasons they have 91, 100, 103 and 92 wins.  Not bad.  As we know with the Nats bad things can happen to good teams in the playoffs.  And you may even play cheaters.

The Yankees have Cole and then a collection of nobodies. Look at their starters by games started. Nobody but Cole has ever been much good, although Taillon had one good season, in 2018, at Pittsburgh. Their relievers are the over-payed and aging Chapman, plus Chad Green, and then the usual retreads, bounce-back-hopefuls, and never-beens. Loisaiga?

Take a look: https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/2021.shtml

The Yankees are behind Tampa Bay, Boston, and probably behind Toronto just in the ALE. That's what Boone and Cashman have suggested in "after season" reports. They faded when it was toughest. They are weak up-the-middle: Sanchez, Torres, and Brett Gardner (!). They are weak at 3B and a big question at 1B. 

The Yankees cannot mention "rebuild" or "reboot", but they have a team built to lose. No matter what it looks like outside the perpetual public relations cloud of "27 Time World Champions" and "Late-inning Lightning", and "Yankee powerhouse", and "Best team money can buy".

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
not to go too far down the NYY rabbit hole, but Jordan Montgomery carried his weight, Taillon has another year of arbitration, Luis Severino is looking healthy (if expensive), and even Luis Gil looks interesting. Green and Loisaiga are nice pieces around Chapman, too.