Author Topic: Michael A. Taylor - Kansas City Royal  (Read 508 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Michael A. Taylor - Kansas City Royal
« Reply #25: May 03, 2021, 10:02:28 AM »
Well, he was around for a long time, had some clutch moments, and folks saw him in the minors and took a liking to his game. However, most of this is driven by disappointment with Robles's development.  End of the season comparisons will be more meaningful.  As it is, Robles's OBP is .349, Taylor is .319.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #26: May 03, 2021, 12:36:08 PM »
Well, he was around for a long time, had some clutch moments, and folks saw him in the minors and took a liking to his game. However, most of this is driven by disappointment with Robles's development.  End of the season comparisons will be more meaningful.  As it is, Robles's OBP is .349, Taylor is .319.

He's not great, but he's a lot better than Robles right now.  Robles has a slugging percentage of LOL and is 1/4 on steals.  Taylor has neither of those issues.  As you said, the issue is that Robles sucks crap through a straw right now, not any greatness of Taylor, who is doing pretty much what he always has.

Offline imref

• Redemption
« Reply #27: May 03, 2021, 01:47:03 PM »
He's not great, but he's a lot better than Robles right now.  Robles has a slugging percentage of LOL and is 1/4 on steals.  Taylor has neither of those issues.  As you said, the issue is that Robles sucks crap through a straw right now, not any greatness of Taylor, who is doing pretty much what he always has.

Last 7 days:
MAT: .227   .261   .273, 0HR, 1SB
VR: .333   .400   .444 0HR, 0SB (Caught twice)

This is MAT over his last 20 games: .213 / .284 / .213 0HR, 3SB

Folks seemed to get a bit too excited after his hot start, he's back to AAAA MAT that we knew here in D.C.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #28: May 03, 2021, 02:01:25 PM »
Last 7 days:
MAT: .227   .261   .273, 0HR, 1SB
VR: .333   .400   .444 0HR, 0SB (Caught twice)

This is MAT over his last 20 games: .213 / .284 / .213 0HR, 3SB

Folks seemed to get a bit too excited after his hot start, he's back to AAAA MAT that we knew here in D.C.

7 days is too small a sample to be meaningful.  He's had two doubles in that, which is two more than he had the rest of the year.  Encouraging, but until he sustains it, I'm not sold.  Right now him versus Taylor for the rest of the season is a tough call for me, which says something, and what it says is that neither is very good. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #29: May 03, 2021, 02:02:27 PM »
7 days is too small a sample to be meaningful.  He's had two doubles in that, which is two more than he had the rest of the year.  Encouraging, but until he sustains it, I'm not sold.  Right now him versus Taylor for the rest of the season is a tough call for me, which says something, and what it says is that neither is very good.
Phillies would take either guy for CF. 

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #30: May 03, 2021, 02:22:05 PM »
Phillies would take either guy for CF.

If the Phillies got either, they'd end up off the roster for non-baseball reasons just like the two previous guys.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #31: May 03, 2021, 02:58:23 PM »
To me he was a decent player who seemed like a genuinely good guy and who gave thoughtful answers during interviews, a nice change from the usual grunting about "battling & grinding"...he also hit a homer in his first-ever World Series at bat, so there's that. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #32: May 03, 2021, 03:23:51 PM »
I really liked MAT and hope he succeeds in a long career but was fine moving on. He had a lot of awesome moments with us and won a title. Great draft success story and a major leaguer.

Offline bluestreak

« Reply #33: May 03, 2021, 04:59:17 PM »
Yeah. I can see not wanting the guy on the team anymore, but I can’t see actually not liking the guy. I’ll always remember that home run in Wrigley in the NLDS.