Author Topic: 2021 Hall of Fame  (Read 77 times)

Offline imref

• Redemption
2021 Hall of Fame
« Topic Start: November 16, 2020, 06:14:09 PM »
Ballot is out

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: 2021 Hall of Fame.
« Reply #1: November 16, 2020, 06:21:06 PM »
that's a weak 1st year class.  I'll guess that only Hudson and Hunter make  it to the next year ballot.  MAybe Buehrle.

this will be the year for roids and Schilling.  Bonds, Clemens, Schilling,

Offline imref

• Redemption
« Reply #2: November 16, 2020, 06:47:54 PM »
On merit, schilling deserves it, but I doubt mlb writers want to deal with his politics

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #3: November 17, 2020, 08:40:41 AM »
So why wouldn't MLB writers just ignore politics and emphasize the baseball accomplishments ?

On merit, schilling deserves it, but I doubt mlb writers want to deal with his politics

Offline imref

• Redemption
« Reply #4: November 17, 2020, 10:25:28 AM »
So why wouldn't MLB writers just ignore politics and emphasize the baseball accomplishments ?

The concern I've heard is with giving Schilling a podium and a microphone during the HoF ceremony, and the negative attention it would bring to MLB.  Besides past issues with his collection of nazi memorabilia and his anti-Muslim statements, he's been all over social media as of late arguing that the election was rigged. 

Again, from a purely baseball accomplishment perspective, I've been arguing he deserves to be in the hall for years, I just don't see it happening.  We'll see.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #5: November 17, 2020, 10:36:36 AM »

MLB writers don't like the guy either.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #6: November 17, 2020, 11:02:47 AM »
I don't like the idea of keeping a guy out of the HoF because of his personal politics. I do like the idea of keeping several guys out of the HoF because they were implicated in steroids. I suspect that Schilling will get in simply because of how close he got last time, but we'll see.

Barry Zito sure looked like a sure-thing Hall of Famer at his peak. Mark Buehrle was personally one of my favorite players of the 2000's (I attended his perfect game in 2009) and if he got in he wouldn't be the worst pitcher there, but I don't think he has the stats today's writers are looking for.

Online dracnal

« Reply #7: November 17, 2020, 06:53:17 PM »
I don't like the idea of keeping a guy out of the HoF because of his personal politics. I do like the idea of keeping several guys out of the HoF because they were implicated in steroids. I suspect that Schilling will get in simply because of how close he got last time, but we'll see.

Barry Zito sure looked like a sure-thing Hall of Famer at his peak. Mark Buehrle was personally one of my favorite players of the 2000's (I attended his perfect game in 2009) and if he got in he wouldn't be the worst pitcher there, but I don't think he has the stats today's writers are looking for.

If they reconsider Pete Rose, I'm willing to listen on others like Schilling. Otherwise, don't spew hate speech is a pretty good reason to deny a guy for character reasons. And don't give me any integrity of the game garbage. Otherwise, an awful lot of Astros will be on the outside looking in at some point in the future.