Author Topic: 2021 Minor League Season  (Read 4254 times)

Offline Five Banners

Re: 2021 Minor League Season
« Reply #25: December 02, 2020, 05:12:56 PM »
Have driven past the Wilmington stadium but never been in it. It’s close to 95. I assume one could make it in and out without being robbed.

I reasoned that way for many years, until some fun broke out on a light rail train into Camden Yards involving family, followed a few years later by the riot which left stadium goers in the middle of things. I’ve been giving them room going forward from there.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #26: December 02, 2020, 06:29:46 PM »
I reasoned that way for many years, until some fun broke out on a light rail train into Camden Yards involving family, followed a few years later by the riot which left stadium goers in the middle of things. I’ve been giving them room going forward from there.
Riots are hard to predict.  I assume they have some parking right near the stadium.  Just speculation at this point anyway. 

Offline LincolnDD

« Reply #27: December 08, 2020, 10:01:43 PM »
Ballpark Digest updated their tracker again and now have the Nats in Wilmington for Low-A. 

Offline MonsterUSMC

• GO NATS! GO TAR HEELS!!!
« Reply #28: December 09, 2020, 08:55:04 AM »
Hurry up and wait: MiLB reorg release delayed
It now looks like an announcement regarding the future MiLB team lineup won’t come out until Dec. 8 at the earliest, as final touches are being applied to the overall plan.

https://ballparkdigest.com/2020/12/03/hurry-up-and-wait-milb-reorg-release-delayed/

Offline MonsterUSMC

« Reply #29: December 09, 2020, 09:09:45 AM »
Ballpark Digest updated their tracker again and now have the Nats in Wilmington for Low-A.
I see that.  They are also listing the Frederick Keys as a potential team for the MLB Draft league.

https://ballparkdigest.com/200905261902/minor-league-baseball/news/affiliate-dance-2012

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #30: December 09, 2020, 10:35:33 AM »
The Athletic is reporting that Wilmington has been offered the high-A slot,  dropping Fredricksburg down to Low-A.  I assume the Gulf Coast League is no more?

Offline LincolnDD

« Reply #31: December 09, 2020, 11:14:18 AM »
I think there will still be a Gulf Coast League.  Initial reporting suggested each team would get one team at their complex, but I read yesterday that the Orioles may field two.  From what I can tell, each MLB team will have a specific number of minor league players domestically (I think BA said 180 last week), and I think there will be some flexibility in where they're rostered. 

Offline MonsterUSMC

« Reply #32: December 09, 2020, 11:39:58 AM »
The Athletic is reporting that Wilmington has been offered the high-A slot,  dropping Fredricksburg down to Low-A.  I assume the Gulf Coast League is no more?
Bummer.  Hope they are inaccurate.

Offline MonsterUSMC

« Reply #33: December 09, 2020, 12:09:20 PM »
Looks like it is legit.  I am a little bummed.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #34: December 09, 2020, 12:34:29 PM »

AAA: Rochester
AA: Harrisburg
Hi-A: Wilmington (DE)
Lo-A: Fredereicksburg

https://twitter.com/Nationals/status/1336717305233944585/photo/1

Offline catocony

« Reply #36: December 10, 2020, 04:26:42 PM »
It makes sense to combine Rookie League, Advanced Rookie and Short-season A/Rookie A into just 1-3 complex teams.  Most of those guys are stuck in extended spring training from April to late June anyways, so just keep them in Florida and Arizona all year long.  The new "development" leagues just seem like MLB-sponsored summer leagues, like the local Valley League.  They tend to get a lot of top college talent, and the schedules are two months (June and July).  I used to go to Valley League games and they're on par talentwise to the Rookie Leagues, except it's underclassmen not eligible for the draft or guys who are drafted but are waiting to sign or deciding to go back to school.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #37: December 11, 2020, 12:32:23 PM »

Offline LincolnDD

« Reply #38: December 11, 2020, 04:10:51 PM »
I don't envy players in Bowling Green being in a division where your closest rival is Aberdeen.

Fun little conspiracy in this article (last paragraph) suggests the Red Sox will encourage the owners of the cut Lowell franchise to join the MLB Draft League, only to push them out a year later by relocating the affiliated team the Red Sox own (Salem) to Lowell.

https://ballparkdigest.com/2020/12/10/red-sox-well-fight-to-keep-baseball-in-lowell/

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #39: December 11, 2020, 06:53:12 PM »
I don't envy players in Bowling Green being in a division where your closest rival is Aberdeen.

Fun little conspiracy in this article (last paragraph) suggests the Red Sox will encourage the owners of the cut Lowell franchise to join the MLB Draft League, only to push them out a year later by relocating the affiliated team the Red Sox own (Salem) to Lowell.

https://ballparkdigest.com/2020/12/10/red-sox-well-fight-to-keep-baseball-in-lowell/
lowell is about 20 years old, but it is beautiful. Overlooks the Merrimack from a highground. Great reuse of old industrial grounds. Built over an ash pit so the field is street level. LeLacheur, I think

Offline LincolnDD

« Reply #40: December 13, 2020, 10:52:05 AM »
lowell is about 20 years old, but it is beautiful. Overlooks the Merrimack from a highground. Great reuse of old industrial grounds. Built over an ash pit so the field is street level. LeLacheur, I think

I've seen pictures, it looks really cool.  I wouldn't be surprised if we start hearing about improvements being made to the facilities despite them having lost affiliation.  I've read a few more articles that also hint at Salem relocating to Lowell eventually, maybe as early as 2022. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #41: December 13, 2020, 11:32:10 AM »

At some point the antitrust expedition is going to get challenged again, that’s straight up standard oil business tactics

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42: December 13, 2020, 12:06:56 PM »
I've seen pictures, it looks really cool.  I wouldn't be surprised if we start hearing about improvements being made to the facilities despite them having lost affiliation.  I've read a few more articles that also hint at Salem relocating to Lowell eventually, maybe as early as 2022. 
I think the Red Sox own Salem.  I also think the park was remodeled to have Fenway dimensions.  I don't know who owns the stadium.  Muni?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #43: December 13, 2020, 12:08:50 PM »
SF Chronicle says Richmond staying AA with Giants and also explicitly notes that "The Giants risked losing Richmond because the Nationals wanted to move their Triple-A team there from Fresno. But MLB rejected the plan because it thought the Richmond ballpark was not sufficient for a Triple-A club. So the Nats chose Rochester, N.Y., instead."

https://www.sfchronicle.com/giants/article/Of-Emeralds-and-Lugnuts-Giants-A-s-get-new-15788537.php

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44: December 13, 2020, 12:10:35 PM »
SF Chronicle says Richmond staying AA with Giants and also explicitly notes that "The Giants risked losing Richmond because the Nationals wanted to move their Triple-A team there from Fresno. But MLB rejected the plan because it thought the Richmond ballpark was not sufficient for a Triple-A club. So the Nats chose Rochester, N.Y., instead."

https://www.sfchronicle.com/giants/article/Of-Emeralds-and-Lugnuts-Giants-A-s-get-new-15788537.php
too bad.  Probably would have been more convenient to have Rochester in AA and Richmond in AAA.  Eastern League is more northern and Richmond of course is easier access to DC.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #45: December 13, 2020, 12:16:02 PM »

What would local baseball be without unhelpful interference from MLB brass

Offline MonsterUSMC

« Reply #46: December 14, 2020, 03:38:30 PM »
What would local baseball be without unhelpful interference from MLB brass
Good point.

Offline catocony

« Reply #47: December 17, 2020, 10:11:22 AM »
Local baseball is a misnomer.  The team might be locally owned but the players belong to the MLB club. 

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #48: December 17, 2020, 12:40:52 PM »
Local baseball is a misnomer.  The team might be locally owned but the players belong to the MLB club. 

The reference was to local baseball in general.  It’s played locally, and the business aspects of things like MASN, all things relocation, etc. deal directly with the local market — especially as it deals with unhelpful interference from MLB brass.

Offline catocony

« Reply #49: December 17, 2020, 12:56:21 PM »
MLB has simply decided that a lot of minor league facilities are subpar and this was the easy way to kill multiple birds with one stone.  Get rid of anachronisms like the Appalachian League and outdated facilities like in Hagerstown, while pooling players and resources at the major-league quality spring training complexes.  MLB teams don't care about Auburn or Hagerstown but they do care a lot about players they've spent on fortune on scouting and signing playing in crappy ballparks.  It's all about grooming players to get to the Bigs and having most players spend their first 1-3 years at the complex makes that a lot easier. 

Is minor league baseball primarily an entertainment business for localities, or is it primarily a teaching and evaluation system for MLB?  Since MLB provides and pays for the players, in the end, it's their call.