Author Topic: 2021 Minor League Season  (Read 4250 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: 2021 Minor League Season
« Reply #50: December 17, 2020, 01:28:25 PM »
It’s about cost cutting and not having to spend money on massive amounts of filler who will never sniff AAA let alone the majors. It also shorted the draft which puts more pressure on draftees to sign rather than risk another go around and it eliminates late round draftees getting large bonuses

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #51: December 17, 2020, 02:05:32 PM »

Is minor league baseball primarily an entertainment business for localities, or is it primarily a teaching and evaluation system for MLB?  Since MLB provides and pays for the players, in the end, it's their call.

I was looking at it from the local MLB team’s perspective. From the teaching and evaluation aspect,  A AAA team in Richmond stands to enhance that for a team in this area on multiple logistical fronts more than a team in Rochester.

Additionally, being able to market long-term down the I 95 Corridor into Virginia figured to be in the big-picture, long-term interest of both the team and MLB in general, especially as far as visibility in marketing.  If the reports are accurate that the team had a direct interest in Richmond specifically (already having shown a willingness to partner with the Potomac nationals on the new place in Fredericksburg), what better way to potentially jumpstart some renovations in the near term and a possible new facility in the longer-term than to have a locally interested and committed major league team involved? 

This goes to the original thought on this that MLB, while touting long-term vision in what they’re doing now, once again may have proven unhelpful to local baseball, just as they did with the MASN fiasco and the relocation debacle that went on for years.

Offline catocony

« Reply #52: December 18, 2020, 05:44:54 PM »
It’s about cost cutting and not having to spend money on massive amounts of filler who will never sniff AAA let alone the majors. It also shorted the draft which puts more pressure on draftees to sign rather than risk another go around and it eliminates late round draftees getting large bonuses

Each team will still have the same number of players.  Signing bonuses after the 20th round weren't much, and most of those guys never signed anyways.  The new paradigm will be 60-70 players at the complex, then the usual numbers at Low-A and up.  You get 20 draft picks, plus the international signings, plus some undrafted guys who sign for peanuts just to get a chance for a few months. 

With the new AAA team in Jacksonville, something will have to give, as the International League has an even number of teams.  They don't do interleague at AAA, and who would want to, so with Jacksonville FL has a hell season of flying to the Pacific and Mountain time zones all season or someone forces Indianapolis into the PCL. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #53: December 18, 2020, 05:48:18 PM »
Each team will still have the same number of players.  Signing bonuses after the 20th round weren't much, and most of those guys never signed anyways.  The new paradigm will be 60-70 players at the complex, then the usual numbers at Low-A and up.  You get 20 draft picks, plus the international signings, plus some undrafted guys who sign for peanuts just to get a chance for a few months. 

With the new AAA team in Jacksonville, something will have to give, as the International League has an even number of teams.  They don't do interleague at AAA, and who would want to, so with Jacksonville FL has a hell season of flying to the Pacific and Mountain time zones all season or someone forces Indianapolis into the PCL. 

The shortened draft this year wasn’t met with any outcry and there’s a new CBA negotiation starting soon- do you think current players won’t negotiate away the number of draft rounds?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #54: January 07, 2021, 09:49:58 AM »
Per Baseball America, MLB and AAA spring training will start on time, then the rest of the minor leagues later.  That would mean a delay in the minor league season below AAA until at least May. 

https://nationalsprospects.com/2021/01/milb-delayed-below-aaa-for-2021/

This, of course, presuming that MLB and AAA start on time in about six weeks. With a late March/early April start, that would have the minors beginning in May.

While the season may be pushed into September/October, it will reportedly be at the expense of playoffs. To reduce travel, it would appear that the schedule will be six days on, one day off. Essentially, homestands (if/when fans are allowed to attend) will be every other week.

As BA noted, players and operators will both actually like this arrangement. The former because even a day with travel, which you can probably bank on being optimized for as short a trip as possible between stops, they’re not playing at least once a week vs. once or twice a month. The latter will like it because homestands will be limited to six days at a time and every homestand will have weekend games.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #55: January 07, 2021, 11:09:46 AM »
Per Baseball America, MLB and AAA spring training will start on time, then the rest of the minor leagues later.  That would mean a delay in the minor league season below AAA until at least May. 

https://nationalsprospects.com/2021/01/milb-delayed-below-aaa-for-2021/

The silver lining could be keeping some of the pitching prospects down in Florida through the early spring

Offline MonsterUSMC

• GO NATS! GO TAR HEELS!!!
« Reply #56: January 11, 2021, 09:01:03 AM »
The silver lining could be keeping some of the pitching prospects down in Florida through the early spring
Good point.

Offline imref

« Reply #57: February 12, 2021, 02:18:17 PM »
MLB announces all 120 teams offered to be major league affiliates have accepted.

https://www.milb.com/harrisburg/news/mlb-announces-minor-league-baseball-teams-x5050

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #58: February 12, 2021, 02:26:40 PM »
MLB announces all 120 teams offered to be major league affiliates have accepted.

Nobody pisses and moans to the mafia.  :mg:

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #59: February 13, 2021, 08:08:02 PM »

https://www.milb.com/harrisburg/news/mlb-announces-minor-league-baseball-teams-x5050
MLB also announced the division alignments and names.

Division names are all generic for now "Triple A West" for example. League names like Pacific Coast League are out, at least temporarily, because MLB doesn't own the names. The names are owned by the individual entities.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #60: February 13, 2021, 10:47:59 PM »
The Nats farm system might actually come through Omaha again. That will be nice.

Offline imref

« Reply #61: February 18, 2021, 07:06:14 PM »
schedules are out:

https://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pastime/2021/02/minor-league-schedules-announced-by-major-league-baseball.html

big change in that seasons run through September 19, so little opportunity for September call-ups to get a look.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #62: February 18, 2021, 08:49:06 PM »
schedules are out:

https://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pastime/2021/02/minor-league-schedules-announced-by-major-league-baseball.html

big change in that seasons run through September 19, so little opportunity for September call-ups to get a look.
well, I think September roster only expands from 26 to 28, so that's less of a big deal than when the whole 40 man could be called up.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #63: February 19, 2021, 12:11:21 AM »
There were a lot of changes, at least at the AAA level. Some of them are pretty drastic. I don’t think this will be good for Manfreds legacy.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #64: February 19, 2021, 01:05:35 AM »
There were a lot of changes, at least at the AAA level. Some of them are pretty drastic. I don’t think this will be good for Manfreds legacy.

I get the feeling the Theo is going to be groomed as his replacement...

Offline MonsterUSMC

• GO NATS! GO TAR HEELS!!!
« Reply #65: February 19, 2021, 07:46:03 AM »
I get the feeling the Theo is going to be groomed as his replacement...
I can see that.  I think Theo would do a decent job.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #66: February 19, 2021, 08:40:30 AM »
The six game series in these minor league schedules are interesting.  I suppose it’s Covid related but would also cut down on costs.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #67: February 19, 2021, 09:41:45 AM »
The six game series in these minor league schedules are interesting.  I suppose it’s Covid related but would also cut down on costs.
I'm told it's a one year deal. Was really hoping to see Rochester come through Omaha with the new alignment. Gonna have to wait at least another year.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #68: February 19, 2021, 09:42:40 AM »

To be fair, it also cuts down on bus rides and the non-cost aggravation they cause.  It also makes rainouts easier to make up as teams stay in town longer - fewer getaway day rainouts.  I'm not sure the players will dislike it, even if it's COVID-related.  All the schedules I've looked at are Tue-Sun series, off Monday, usually alternating home and away. 

Offline imref

« Reply #69: March 03, 2021, 12:07:52 PM »
AAA season delayed at least a month to provide more time for players and staff to be vaccinated: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/in-expected-move-mlb-delays-triple-a-season/

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #70: March 03, 2021, 01:08:28 PM »
AAA season delayed at least a month to provide more time for players and staff to be vaccinated: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/in-expected-move-mlb-delays-triple-a-season/

No games pitched in upstate NY until at least May is fine by me

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #71: March 04, 2021, 01:12:15 PM »
I'm told it's a one year deal. Was really hoping to see Rochester come through Omaha with the new alignment. Gonna have to wait at least another year.
Even after AAA goes back to a non-COVID normal, I would not expect that the Triple A East teams will be traveling to Triple A West cities.

It kind of defeats the purpose of realignment if the Nats AAA team is in Tacoma on a road trip when the Nats are in Miami....