Author Topic: Sinclair/Diamond Sports bankruptcy watch  (Read 5978 times)

Offline nfotiu

Re: Sinclair/Diamond Sports bankruptcy watch
« Reply #100: May 31, 2023, 02:28:48 PM »
So it looks like Padres games will be available in-market from MLB.TV for $19.99/month or $74.99 for the season (not sure if this is a prorated number or not). Surely that price will appeal to those who are paying for cable just to get the games.
I saw that too.  74.99 sounds pretty good for a full season.   20 a month is probably too high for everyone but avid followers, so likely won't produce a significant revenue stream.  I see they are on all the legacy carriers that had the RSN, so they are still likely trying to protect that revenue stream, which is unfortunate.   

$20/month would sound better if it got you all the games.   Instead you need some cable channels, Peacock, Apple TV, and maybe some others for the national games and playoffs.   Also if you have a few local sports teams you watch, like hockey and basketball, having to pay $20/month for each of those teams gets back to cable prices pretty quickly.

I was really hoping the MLB would use this opportunity to look for a new model that they can grow and that doesn't rely on carriage fees, but it doesn't look like that's going to be the case.