Author Topic: I wanna like Michael A Taylor Appreciation Thread (split from 2020-21 Offseason)  (Read 1932 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Bigger rosters really help a guy like him get a chance at an MLB contract.  Plays legit CF and has power, regardless of the other shortcomings.   I wish him luck - limitations aside, he seems like a good dude and did the business at some really critical times despite getting dumped in the minors after a fair amount of MLB time. 
it was only 43 PAs in the playoff, but the dude had a .316 / .395 / .632 slash line with 4 HRs and 10 RBIs.  Not quite Soto, but that's because only Soto is Soto.  Blows away any other Nat OF. 

Offline Duke of Earl

I love Michael A. Taylor's defense.  But then, I loved Danny Espinosa's defense and I was thrilled when we finally unloaded him.  And I'll be relieved when we are done with Taylor.  He is the one remaining member of the Strikeout Culture:  Desmond, Espinosa, Harper, and Taylor. They were the main culprits but I think their swing for the fences attitude rubbed off on the rest of the team.  They all hit homeruns, but all are happy to strike out as many times as necessary, if they eventually  hit a homerun.  I'll miss Taylor's defense.  I won't miss his swing.

Offline Count Walewski

Michael A. Taylor was not just a backup outfielder, he was a phenomenon. He now joins the pantheon with Roger Bernadina and Gerardo Parra, of ex-Nats who will long be remembered when objectively better players are long forgotten.

I'll always remember the game-winning grand slam he hit while hitting in Bryce Harper's spot in the lineup, after Bryce Harper got himself ejected for some stupid reason.

Offline KV

• Believe!
I will always like Michael A. Taylor.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
I will always like Michael A. Taylor.

Zuck noted he was one of the funniest guys in the clubhouse.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
I too, will always have a fondness for MAT.

Offline NJ Ave

I love MAT. That being said, he's stuck in major league limbo as a replacement level OF who will cost hundreds thousands more than younger replacement level players already in every system. A decade ago he probably would have continued to get paid but now it seems like he'll probably go overseas.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I love MAT. That being said, he's stuck in major league limbo as a replacement level OF who will cost hundreds thousands more than younger replacement level players already in every system. A decade ago he probably would have continued to get paid but now it seems like he'll probably go overseas.
It may not be the worst place for him.  See if he can make consistent contact in the KBO.  If he does, the ball will fly. Did wonders for Eric Thames, until it didn't.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
The Red Porch crowd had a great time interacting with him, always good to have a Center Fielder who doesn't ignore fans. Will miss him.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
The Red Porch crowd had a great time interacting with him, always good to have a Center Fielder who doesn't ignore fans. Will miss him.

Welcome back, Galah...  ;)

Offline welch

I really want to like Victor Robles. I think MAT is a better hitter, though.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
There were some games where the crowd was small enough to be able to hear Nyjer Morgan talking to the pigeons down on the field.  Not sure who was ignoring who there...at least the pigeons got some love. 

Offline ajcartwright

I really want to like Victor Robles. I think MAT is a better hitter, though.

now that is a sobering thought

Offline Duke of Earl

There were some games where the crowd was small enough to be able to hear Nyjer Morgan talking to the pigeons down on the field. 
Didi that include the pigeon he nearly killed when he threw his glove?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Was that the inside-the-park HR?  Blos?   :clown:

Offline welch

Royals just signed MAT.  1 year, $1.75M:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/11/royals-sign-michael-a-taylor.html

Just read it. Good for MAT and sad for the Nats. I think he hits as well as Robles, sadly. (It's not muscles. It is putting the bat on the ball.) Good luck to Michael!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Looks like a really good landing spot for him.  There may be more moves, or prospects on the way, but the major league roster competition doesn't look that bad.  He's at least had one decent season in the majors, which is more than the competition has.

Offline Duke of Earl

(It's not muscles. It is putting the bat on the ball.)
Alot of it is muscle. He's deceptively strong.