Author Topic: NHL 2020-21 (Non Caps)  (Read 6986 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: NHL 2020-21 (Non Caps)
« Reply #75: January 31, 2021, 05:33:07 PM »
Major NHL minutia: 

If the Panthers Keith Yandle plays in every game both this year and next...he will have played in exactly 1,000 consecutive regular season NHL games at the end of the 2021-2022 season at the age of 35...

This dates back to the 2007-2008 season...

What's peculiar about this is, due to a mid-season trade between the Blue Shirts and the Panthers in the 2014-2015 season, he played 84 games that season rather than the regular slate of 82 games.
I didn’t realize he has been in the league that long.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #76: January 31, 2021, 06:10:54 PM »
I didn’t realize he has been in the league that long.

Neither did I until I looked up his stats.  Pretty remarkable.  This is also based upon the prospect of an 82 game 2021-2022 season...

Whoops...this is only their 6th game this season...I thought it was their 10th.  He'd finish with 1,004 consecutive games at the end of the 2021 season...

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #77: February 05, 2021, 08:11:15 PM »
So, I am watching Bruins Flyers, and I see Marchand has A on his sweater. How fitting.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #78: February 05, 2021, 08:29:55 PM »
So, I am watching Bruins Flyers, and I see Marchand has A on his sweater. How fitting.

All he needs now is the R and the T...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #79: February 05, 2021, 08:49:37 PM »
:hysterical:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #80: February 05, 2021, 08:50:06 PM »
Your boy Lyon is the back up tonight as Hart has back spasms. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81: February 05, 2021, 09:23:14 PM »
Marchand scores in a scramble!  1-1.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82: February 05, 2021, 09:24:32 PM »
I was thinking he just needed "hole"

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #83: February 06, 2021, 02:59:26 PM »
Marchand scores in a scramble!  1-1.
He just outworked the Flyers defense on that one. Elliott was great in goal except for the game winner which he just totally blew it.

The Bruins have owned the Flyers this year.

Not sure if Hart will be ready Sunday for the Caps.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #85: February 17, 2021, 09:24:15 AM »
Ken Dryden explains why the NHL needs to enlarge the goals to get more free-flowing play. He thinks that the NHL has become, more and more, like the NBA in the era of big men hacking each other around the basket. Goalie equipment has stretched to the point that goals are scored only after struggles around the net, or when a goalie cannot see the puck through a "forest" of big players in front of him. That blocks the skill -- the skating and passing -- of forwards and defense-men.

Dryden suggests that hockey can improve in the way that the NBA went to a spectacular style of running, passing, and the three-point shot.

How?

Not by adding a rule against enlarged goalie-pads. Goalies always find a way. Not by enlarging the ice to Olympic / international size, because all play still funnels to the front of the net. Not by eliminating the blue line, either, because that, too, will still compress the ice to spots in front of the net.

Instead, Dryden suggests that the goal be enlarged slightly...just enough that a goalie cannot simply fill the goal with pads.

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2021/02/hockey-goalies-are-too-big-now/618021/?fbclid=IwAR2JcQDt0FWfWp4CYe97cCbuVNclEYj4Rk1B8weWBRtvF5_xsJnMg0bUzA4

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #86: February 17, 2021, 11:02:51 AM »
Ken Dryden explains why the NHL needs to enlarge the goals to get more free-flowing play. He thinks that the NHL has become, more and more, like the NBA in the era of big men hacking each other around the basket. Goalie equipment has stretched to the point that goals are scored only after struggles around the net, or when a goalie cannot see the puck through a "forest" of big players in front of him. That blocks the skill -- the skating and passing -- of forwards and defense-men.

Dryden suggests that hockey can improve in the way that the NBA went to a spectacular style of running, passing, and the three-point shot.

How?

Not by adding a rule against enlarged goalie-pads. Goalies always find a way. Not by enlarging the ice to Olympic / international size, because all play still funnels to the front of the net. Not by eliminating the blue line, either, because that, too, will still compress the ice to spots in front of the net.

Instead, Dryden suggests that the goal be enlarged slightly...just enough that a goalie cannot simply fill the goal with pads.

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2021/02/hockey-goalies-are-too-big-now/618021/?fbclid=IwAR2JcQDt0FWfWp4CYe97cCbuVNclEYj4Rk1B8weWBRtvF5_xsJnMg0bUzA4

I personally would leave it alone...a puck hitting the post is perhaps more exciting than a goal...at moments anyway.  I don't see a bigger net as an "improvement."

The 3 point play in basketball has become as boring as the dunk used to be.  I recall back in the 70's when a long shot from the baseline was exciting...not so much anymore.  Of course, I don't really care for basketball anyway other than the NCAA tournament.  If they want to make the sport more exciting...raise the net a foot or two, or make the hoop smaller...though I guess that's not too different than what Dreyden is suggesting for hockey...

They can't really enlarge the ice surface without a great deal of effort, if at all...most US arenas are pretty well locked in size wise.

I hate the tinkering that baseball has done / is doing...would really hate to see the NHL do the same thing.  I understand it given Covid, but hope things go back post-pandemic. 

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #87: February 17, 2021, 11:06:37 AM »
[...]
They can't really enlarge the ice surface without a great deal of effort, if at all...most US arenas are pretty well locked in size wise.[...]

...and enlarging the rink to international size would entail removal of some of the arena's most expensive seats...a definite no-go from the ownership viewpoint.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88: February 17, 2021, 11:25:19 AM »

How?

I like this idea a lot.  I grew up in the Gerry Cheevers heyday with goalies who needed to leave the net and play a bit like a sweeper-keeper in soccer, scrambling to cut down angles, etc...  Goalies needed to keep on their feet rather than drop and butterfly because the pads were so heavy and small.  The enlargement doesn't need to be much - just enough so that all but the extremely long shinned can't block the entire ice with a butterfly and a stick covering the 5 hole.  Make them stand to glove shots in the upper corners.  This will bring back the sniper shots without screens.  The prettiest play is the great rush and break away, which needs to be rewarded.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #89: February 17, 2021, 12:21:50 PM »
I like this idea a lot.  I grew up in the Gerry Cheevers heyday with goalies who needed to leave the net and play a bit like a sweeper-keeper in soccer, scrambling to cut down angles, etc...  Goalies needed to keep on their feet rather than drop and butterfly because the pads were so heavy and small.  The enlargement doesn't need to be much - just enough so that all but the extremely long shinned can't block the entire ice with a butterfly and a stick covering the 5 hole.  Make them stand to glove shots in the upper corners.  This will bring back the sniper shots without screens.  The prettiest play is the great rush and break away, which needs to be rewarded.

would people accept 8-5 games and the like though?  It doesn't seem like scoring is all that low right now but I haven't looked at the data.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #90: February 17, 2021, 03:57:49 PM »
Enough scoring for me nowadays. I thought the 1980s had too much.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91: February 17, 2021, 04:25:24 PM »
would people accept 8-5 games and the like though?  It doesn't seem like scoring is all that low right now but I haven't looked at the data.
from 1970 to 1994, the NHL did not have a  season with a GAA of less than 3.  Since 1996, there has not been a season with GAA greater than 3.  Dryden is a product of the above 3 era. That said, the past 4 seasons have been around 2.8, which is pretty much in the middle of NHL history.https://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/stats.html

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #92: February 17, 2021, 04:40:18 PM »
Am I reading this wrong?  Looks like the past three years are at 3??

https://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/stats.html

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #93: February 17, 2021, 05:36:38 PM »

Look at GAA...not G...

G's would include ENG's, and GAA includes OT...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #94: February 17, 2021, 05:58:36 PM »
Look at GAA...not G...

G's would include ENG's, and GAA includes OT...
Got ya. The general trend is up in recent years so I’m ok. 

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #95: February 18, 2021, 04:47:35 PM »
Dryden is looking to make a more attractive game, noting that current goalies can play almost the entire game kneeling. He wants them up and moving around, and wants to clear the scrum in front of the net, thinking that the beauty of the game is skating, passing, and hitting.

That makes total scoring irrelevant to his argument.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #96: February 19, 2021, 10:21:13 AM »
That makes total scoring irrelevant to his argument.

Other than total scoring would most likely increase...

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #97: February 19, 2021, 04:39:46 PM »
The Lake Tahoe setting looks spectacular. Of course it's a publicity stunt, but who cares.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #98: February 19, 2021, 08:51:22 PM »
The Lake Tahoe setting looks spectacular. Of course it's a publicity stunt, but who cares.

(Image removed from quote.)
It’s too bad the Flyers have to play the Bruins missing half their forwards to COVID.  Could be a blow out.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99: February 20, 2021, 12:11:27 PM »
It’s too bad the Flyers have to play the Bruins missing half their forwards to COVID.  Could be a blow out.
this sounds like Slate's old reverse jinx. 

I just hope Marchand is careful about who he licks.  He should be sure to stick a swab up their noses first.