Author Topic: Stevenson- 2020's answer to the early 2010's white whale search  (Read 567 times)

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
we'd be fangirling over this Louisiana lad so hard if he was doing this 10 years ago.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Well, he's not D-Span because he can't play CF. I think he's a 4th OF, but he seems to hit better than our past 4th OFs. David DeJesus-like profile?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Well, he's not D-Span because he can't play CF. I think he's a 4th OF, but he seems to hit better than our past 4th OFs. David DeJesus-like profile?

Stevenson has 1500 innings in CF in the minors. His scouting grades (from 2018 mind you) are 70 speed and 55 field. I think he could man CF for a few years.

His swing reminds me of Hunter Pence. It is quick. But I am hesitant to put a lot of stock in his less than 100 plate appearances over the last two seasons.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
70 speed? Wow, hasn't really had a chance to show it yet, other than the inside the park yesterday . I don't see them moving aside Robles for him.

Offline hotshot

Stevenson has 1500 innings in CF in the minors. His scouting grades (from 2018 mind you) are 70 speed and 55 field. I think he could man CF for a few years.

His swing reminds me of Hunter Pence. It is quick. But I am hesitant to put a lot of stock in his less than 100 plate appearances over the last two seasons.
Pence comparison (assuming his swing is a big part of his success at the plate) is high praise indeed. Hunter is a lifetime .280 hitter with 240+ HRs over 14 seasons. I'd take that any day.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

70 speed? Wow, hasn't really had a chance to show it yet, other than the inside the park yesterday . I don't see them moving aside Robles for him.

If Robles keeps putting on timber the way he has in the last year, the only things that'll be moving him aside against his will are a forklift or an Abrams.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Our Mike Yastrzemski?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I've seen it graded as 60. Point is, he's fast enough. He can play CF. His arm really doesnt hold up un RF and I dont see him hitting well enough for LF.

Robles' arm plays in RF. They would just shade Stevenson over to Soto's side more.

Pence comparison (assuming his swing is a big part of his success at the plate) is high praise indeed. Hunter is a lifetime .280 hitter with 240+ HRs over 14 seasons. I'd take that any day.
I meant like Pence in that it seems awkward and quick, not in terms of ability.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Stevenson’s swing isn’t nearly as ugly as Pence’s.

Offline nfotiu

Eaton was a liability in outfield this year, and his offense was not close enough to make it worth it.   I think that is the spot Stevenson fills if he is for real.

Robles will eventually pan out as the white whale.   If Stevenson's year is something to build on, then he's a corner piece to a fantastic young outfield both offensively and defensively.   

Offline MtPleasantNatsFan

Like everyone who loved the 2019 season, I wanted to see that team intact.

However I do not see the Nationals spending the money on Eaton next year- I think he’s going to have to look elsewhere