Author Topic: 2020-21 Offseason  (Read 61624 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: 2020-21 Offseason
« Reply #950: January 08, 2021, 05:53:59 PM »
Steve Cohen also knows he needs to infuse the franchise with energy. We've never experienced having a a talented team get so close and then free fall into disarray.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #951: January 08, 2021, 08:12:12 PM »
every MLB owner is rich AF and could spend to the luxury tax easy. cohen is the same as ted and mark and the steinbrenners and whoever else owns teams. guy is gonna swing his dick around because he knows teams like cleveland are tanking intentionally and there's a great chance to get some bargains on trades to get legit players
Steve Cohen is worth $14.6 Billion dollars. The Lerner's wealth is shown as $4.6 Billion.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #952: January 09, 2021, 07:43:18 AM »
With Steve Cohen, I get the feeling $$$ are never gonna be a factor in signing players. Certainly not in these first years of ownership. He's a mega-rich owner who loves the franchise; the Lerner's are also rich, but I never saw anywhere near the same passion.

You just described Snyder too - even in baseball, ask Moreno how well just spending works

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #953: January 09, 2021, 09:30:54 AM »
With Steve Cohen, I get the feeling $$$ are never gonna be a factor in signing players. Certainly not in these first years of ownership. He's a mega-rich owner who loves the franchise; the Lerner's are also rich, but I never saw anywhere near the same passion.
I mean they overpaid for Werth to try and jump start things.  And the Max signing took most everyone by surprise. 

Cohen is joining the club.  Although he has more money he will not want to just blow past the luxury tax line as they enter long term negotiations with the players. Like most billionaires he will want to be among the leaders of the owners and spending until his heart's desire does not position him for that.   Also, the trading for Lindor and trying to sign them has apparently caused them to drop out of the Springer negotiations.  If they also sign Springer you will know Cohen will spend anything.  If not, you know they still have a budget.  They still need to plan to lock up guys like McNeil and Conforto. 

EDIT:  Also they got a break not having to pay Cano this year but he is back on the books for 2022 and 2023. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #954: January 09, 2021, 10:16:54 AM »
You just described Snyder too - even in baseball, ask Moreno how well just spending works
Except that the first thing Cohen did was bring in a competent general manager

Offline Lazarchick 31

« Reply #955: January 09, 2021, 12:23:53 PM »
Im fine with Schwarber as long as we aren't done with the lineup. If that's it, then I'll def have a problem with how it shaped out.

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #956: January 09, 2021, 12:23:54 PM »
Except that the first thing Cohen did was bring in a competent general manager

Yep.  This is the concern. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #957: January 09, 2021, 01:23:33 PM »
Im fine with Schwarber as long as we aren't done with the lineup. If that's it, then I'll def have a problem with how it shaped out.
well, here's how things might look now:

1. Turner (R) - SS
2.  Schwarber (L) - LF
3. Castro (r) - 2B/3B
4. Soto (L) - RF
5. Bell (L) - 1B
6. Gomes (R) / ? - C
7. Kieboom (R) - 3B / Garcia (L) - 2B
8. Robles (R) - CF
9. P

I'd love Suarez at this point or some other righty bat for 3B, but I think there's nice balance 1-5 or 6.  Prior to Bell and Schwarber, the line up was vulnerable to RHP.  Now, you throw a righty, and Schwarber and Bell become star hitters. Maybe you even put Gomes 3d between the 3 left-handed batters or 5th right after Soto because he's a career .278 / .336 / .478 hitter vs. LHP who crushed it last year in a small sample size. 

No doubt Suarez makes the lineup stronger, but if Rizzo really believes in Kieboom still and is right, it is unnecessary.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #958: January 09, 2021, 01:25:47 PM »
well, here's how things might look now:

1. Turner (R) - SS
2.  Schwarber (L) - LF
3. Castro (r) - 2B/3B
4. Soto (L) - RF
5. Bell (L) - 1B
6. Gomes (R) / ? - C
7. Kieboom (R) - 3B / Garcia (L) - 2B
8. Robles (R) - CF
9. P

I'd love Suarez at this point or some other righty bat for 3B, but I think there's nice balance 1-5 or 6.  Prior to Bell and Schwarber, the line up was vulnerable to RHP.  Now, you throw a righty, and Schwarber and Bell become star hitters. Maybe you even put Gomes 3d between the 3 left-handed batters or 5th right after Soto because he's a career .278 / .336 / .478 hitter vs. LHP who crushed it last year in a small sample size. 

No doubt Suarez makes the lineup stronger, but if Rizzo really believes in Kieboom still and is right, it is unnecessary.

That has the potential to be one of the worst offenses in baseball (and defenses), or perhaps a pretty good offense.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #959: January 09, 2021, 01:34:45 PM »
That has the potential to be one of the worst offenses in baseball (and defenses), or perhaps a pretty good offense.
another way to put it is, add Suarez in place of the #7  pair, and that is a megapower lineup with good OBP.

Offline Sirjesse

« Reply #960: January 09, 2021, 02:51:20 PM »
It’s solid to add schwarber. We finished tenth in runs scored last year and have upgraded. Maybe you get a Suarez, maybe you see what you got with kieboom and Garcia. The health and age of the rotation will take us as far or not as far as we get once we add a starter and a reliever.

Offline Sirjesse

« Reply #961: January 09, 2021, 03:26:06 PM »
This is some real candy land dreaming, but if we filled the number two hole with LeMahieu we would have one scary lineup for the opposition.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #962: January 09, 2021, 03:33:59 PM »
The offense could/should be fun to watch. Doesn’t seem like we’re interested in catching the ball this year, though.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #963: January 10, 2021, 10:39:06 AM »
You guys crack me up with this notion that every signing by Rizzo has to net a future HoF'r or it's a bust. Is Schwarber the guy to put us over the top and into the playoffs by himself? Course not but he's a small step in that direction and if it's coupled with a few more small step signings then who knows, maybe we will be competitive. And if you'll take off your blinders you'll see that there haven't been too many big splashy signings to date by other teams. Gee I wonder why that is?  Carry on.  :popcorn:

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #964: January 10, 2021, 11:18:09 AM »
You guys crack me up with this notion that every signing by Rizzo has to net a future HoF'r or it's a bust. Is Schwarber the guy to put us over the top and into the playoffs by himself? Course not but he's a small step in that direction and if it's coupled with a few more small step signings then who knows, maybe we will be competitive. And if you'll take off your blinders you'll see that there haven't been too many big splashy signings to date by other teams. Gee I wonder why that is?  Carry on.  :popcorn:
In Rizzo we trust. 

Eventually Springer and Relamuto will sign.  Just probably not in DC.  Still some others out there who could help the Nats.

Offline raleighnat

« Reply #965: January 10, 2021, 05:23:05 PM »
For this team to compete you really need to add of of JT, DJL, or Springer.  Or trade for a Suarez or right handed bat.    Realmuto makes a lot of sense.  You don’t give up on Keiboom or Robles but you take the hole in the lineup (Gomes) and really upgrade. 

Turner
Shwarber
Realmuto
Soto
Bell
Castro
Keiboom
Robles

That gives you a fighting chance. 

Offline Expos

« Reply #966: January 10, 2021, 06:03:15 PM »
For this team to compete you really need to add of of JT, DJL, or Springer.  Or trade for a Suarez or right handed bat.    Realmuto makes a lot of sense.  You don’t give up on Keiboom or Robles but you take the hole in the lineup (Gomes) and really upgrade. 

Turner
Shwarber
Realmuto
Soto
Bell
Castro
Keiboom
Robles

That gives you a fighting chance.

I'd keep Gomes and go after DJ Lemahieu.  Castro can play 3B.

1. SS- Turner
2. 2B- Lemahieu
3. RF- Soto
4. 1B- Bell
5. LF- Schwarber
6. 3B- Castro
7. C- Gomes
8. CF- Robles

If we go into the year with Kieboom at 3B and don't make a deal for a regular 3B that is a giant hole in the lineup.

Offline Sirjesse

« Reply #967: January 11, 2021, 11:03:16 AM »
If not lemahieu justin turner gets on at a 400 clip. Him in the number two Hole makes for a great lineup. LaStella would not be a bad option to replace Eaton in the two hole either. Didn’t he play under martinez with the Cubs at one point?

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #968: January 11, 2021, 11:14:28 AM »
[...]LaStella would not be a bad option to replace Eaton in the two hole either. Didn’t he play under martinez with the Cubs at one point?

He did (2015-17).

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #969: January 11, 2021, 11:31:59 AM »

I think the reaction is that Schwarber is quite expensive for a lottery ticket on a huge bounceback season.  This signing would make a lot more sense without the Bell trade or with a DH.

Yeah, he'll probably hit 30-something home runs, but a full season of Schwarber/Robles/Soto is a full season of watching Robles chasing gappers to the wall.  Schwarber better hit A LOT to make up for that, and even career .816 OPS (his career average) is kinda fringy for causing that kind of defensive outfield.   

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #970: January 11, 2021, 12:34:33 PM »
I think the reaction is that Schwarber is quite expensive for a lottery ticket on a huge bounceback season.  This signing would make a lot more sense without the Bell trade or with a DH.

Yeah, he'll probably hit 30-something home runs, but a full season of Schwarber/Robles/Soto is a full season of watching Robles chasing gappers to the wall.  Schwarber better hit A LOT to make up for that, and even career .816 OPS (his career average) is kinda fringy for causing that kind of defensive outfield.   

On a dollar for dollar basis we traded in Eaton and got Schwarber.  No question Schwarber can't match Eaton defensively but there's no question he will mash more than Eaton. I suspect our pitching staff is already gearing up for additional outfield errors.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #971: January 11, 2021, 12:53:21 PM »
Schwarber will look better when the NL adopts the DH. Forward thinking by Rizzo!

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #972: January 11, 2021, 01:28:42 PM »
Schwarber will look better when the NL adopts the DH. Forward thinking by Rizzo!

Why is it taking so long for NL DH status to be confirmed, one way the other? 

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #973: January 11, 2021, 01:43:28 PM »
Why is it taking so long for NL DH status to be confirmed, one way the other? 
I thought they confirmed no NL DH this year.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #974: January 11, 2021, 02:02:58 PM »
I thought they confirmed no NL DH this year.

Yes...that's what Manfred has said on a number of occasions...