Author Topic: 2020-21 Offseason  (Read 62468 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: 2020-21 Offseason
« Reply #475: November 28, 2020, 06:24:42 PM »
If they got Springer, I think it'd be a coup. That's add a ton to the outlook for next year and beyond. If they decide not to go that route, that'd be fine. I'd love to see Brantley and Turner on 2-3 year deals as well.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #476: November 28, 2020, 08:06:41 PM »

I'm not saying he was good enough to be handed a starting role on a supposed contender and would not object to him starting the year all the way back in Harrisburg, but I would not be shocked if he was an average 2d basemen next year and him playing well enough in camp to steal the starting role.  That said, I think he's good enough and young enough that burning an option so that you get more years of him when he's a plus 2d baseman rather than average makes some sense.  No need to accrue service time giving him his training wheels in the majors when you want him to be a racing bike when he comes up. you still have coverage with Harrison and Castro and Kieboom on your MLB roster, but I'd expect another utility signing if we went that way.

I don't really like the idea of spending big on a first baseman.  I think there are plenty of bats there.  While we were burned a bit last year by Thames, the track record for finding one or two years of a bat at 1st has been pretty good.  I'd see what we can get for$10MM, unless we were to make a commitment to LeMahieu.  edit - a cheap signing I'd kick the tires on is Renato Nunez.  I think you could sign him and Moreland for under $10MM, if not Moreland, then maybe Jedd Gyorko or Tommy La Stella as CIs

I think we need to come out of the offseason with a reliable righty bat who can hit #2-4 in the order.  Whether that's a corner OF (I'm not convinced Soto can't play RF with Robles in CF), an IF, or a C, that's the big acquisition.  I'm skeptical about Bryant, so I would not pay a lot for 1 year of him and I would not want to make a multi-year commitment to him now.  I see him as ending up in Philly next year with Bryce.
It would be pretty amazing. He's 20. He wasn't good last season. He wasnt good in Double A in 2019. If it weren't for Covid and no minor leagues, he never would have sniffed MLB level. He's a guy that has to force you to call him up, like Soto did.

well, he is not Altuve-level culpable. 
Bullcrap

Offline Slateman

« Reply #477: November 28, 2020, 10:13:49 PM »
BTV has a spotlighted trade for the Nats: https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trades/trade-31004/

Basically the Nats trade Cavali, Kieboom, and Cate to the Cubs for Bryant, Hendricks, and some cash

Offline GataNats

« Reply #478: November 29, 2020, 02:23:44 AM »
Wouldn’t do that.   No reason for this team to get older

Offline Slateman

« Reply #479: November 29, 2020, 02:35:05 AM »
Wouldn’t do that.   No reason for this team to get older
Hendricks is 30 and Bryant is 28

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #480: November 29, 2020, 08:55:15 AM »
Hendricks is 30 and Bryant is 28
I think the fact that Bryant slumped in 2020 and is a free agent after 2021 are more important reasons to not make the trade.

Of course I’m not sure why the Cubs would make that trade. They have Hendricks locked up for a few years at a decent salary. Seems he would warrant more than prospects.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #481: November 29, 2020, 11:54:59 AM »
BTV has a spotlighted trade for the Nats: https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trades/trade-31004/

Basically the Nats trade Cavali, Kieboom, and Cate to the Cubs for Bryant, Hendricks, and some cash
I just see Bryant as either a lose this year or lose next year type.  If he has a down year, he's not a help, and if he has a good year, he's off to Philly.  I don't believe in the Nats pitching development program (making me willing to give up pitching prospects), but maybe that changes with Menhart gone.  I think Kyle Hendricks is a good get, so maybe in this deal he's the Mookie and Bryant is the Price (less talent, but the idea of wrapping something nice in a package with somebody you want to give up).  Maybe I'm too harsh about Bryant.

This deal has a boom / bust potential for the Cubs, while for the Nats the deal really comes down to Hendricks staying healthy, with a Bryant kicker on a bounceback.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #482: November 29, 2020, 02:14:46 PM »
I just see Bryant as either a lose this year or lose next year type.  If he has a down year, he's not a help, and if he has a good year, he's off to Philly.  I don't believe in the Nats pitching development program (making me willing to give up pitching prospects), but maybe that changes with Menhart gone.  I think Kyle Hendricks is a good get, so maybe in this deal he's the Mookie and Bryant is the Price (less talent, but the idea of wrapping something nice in a package with somebody you want to give up).  Maybe I'm too harsh about Bryant.

This deal has a boom / bust potential for the Cubs, while for the Nats the deal really comes down to Hendricks staying healthy, with a Bryant kicker on a bounceback.
We are exactly the team that needs a one year rental. Getting a year of non-Covod Kris Bryant is exactly what we need in the lineup.

Bryant was a .900+ OPS bat until this season. That would be huge to add to the lineup. The idea that he is somehow a risk is silly.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #483: November 30, 2020, 12:10:06 PM »
We are exactly the team that needs a one year rental. Getting a year of non-Covod Kris Bryant is exactly what we need in the lineup.

Bryant was a .900+ OPS bat until this season. That would be huge to add to the lineup. The idea that he is somehow a risk is silly.
Would you try to land a FA before making that deal?  If you could get LeMahieu for 3/$42MM (crowdsourced number on FG), would you do that for your bat?  Even if it is 3/$48MM, I'd do that.

Hendricks to me is a nice multi-year piece, especially with Max on his last year. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #484: November 30, 2020, 12:41:58 PM »
Would you try to land a FA before making that deal?  If you could get LeMahieu for 3/$42MM (crowdsourced number on FG), would you do that for your bat?  Even if it is 3/$48MM, I'd do that.

Hendricks to me is a nice multi-year piece, especially with Max on his last year. 
No because i believe DJL is due for some major regression if he goes to a hitter neutral park

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #485: November 30, 2020, 12:48:21 PM »
No because i believe DJL is due for some major regression if he goes to a hitter neutral park
Agree on that. And also he had a big year so wouldn’t be surprised to see fall off even if he stays with the Yankees.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #486: November 30, 2020, 12:59:31 PM »

I'd do that and I believe I suggested that several days ago. The problem besides money is we still need a corner OF and a C. You can pick up a lefty RP before ST and a back up lefty 1B.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #487: November 30, 2020, 01:40:37 PM »
he sprays and makes very good contact so I don't see the regression. 

Best contact hitting: DJ LeMahieu
Key stat: 21.9 percent hard-hit rate per swing in 2020

A two-time batting champion and lifetime .305 hitter, LeMahieu has shown impressive bat-to-ball skills throughout his career, but especially in the past two years. Since the start of 2019, LeMahieu's 14.9 percent whiff rate (misses per total swings) is the ninth-lowest among hitters with at least 1,000 swings, and his 12.7 percent strikeout rate is 11th-lowest (min. 500 plate appearances).

But frequent contact is only part of what makes LeMahieu such a great hitter, as the second baseman also regularly hits the ball hard -- his 21.9 percent hard-hit rate per swing ranked third in MLB last season -- and is virtually unshiftable due to his ability to spray the ball to all fields. In fact, LeMahieu hasn’t seen a true infield shift in more than four years, a product of his MLB-low 22.2 percent pull rate in that span.

Honorable mentions: Justin Turner, Michael Brantley
https://www.mlb.com/news/best-tools-free-agent-hitters-2020

Also, I don't know how to embed the image, but these 2018-2020 spray charts seem to show power that'd work in DC.  I'd say the balls that got out to left would get out here, and the homers to right would be at worst off the wall.   lots of liners to right that'd I would guess ought to drop here. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/dj-lemahieu/9874/spray-charts?position=2B&type=battedball&pid2=9874&ss1=2018&se1=2020&ss2=2018&se2=2020&cht1=hangtime&cht2=battedball&vs1=ALL&vs2=ALL

Offline Lazarchick 31

« Reply #488: November 30, 2020, 02:15:05 PM »
The intrigue with Bryant is he's a damn good hitter outside of 2020 but being a down year and 1 year rental he isn't going to command your top prospects. Read last year we took Soto, Turner, Robles, Rutledge off the list of available prospects and will add Cade to that list now. But also said it wouldn't command them to get it done. While Bryant is the riskiest move it's also the most realistic. It opens up better returns for your OF, C #4 etc.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #489: November 30, 2020, 02:36:39 PM »
So are we gonna compete in '21 or what?

:popcorn:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #490: November 30, 2020, 02:39:08 PM »
So are we gonna compete in '21 or what?

:popcorn:

I think '21 will be like '20 where getting to .500 will be a challenge.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #491: November 30, 2020, 02:41:59 PM »
DO SOMETHING RIZZO :panic:

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #492: November 30, 2020, 02:47:29 PM »
Mark my words...Andrew Stevenson will be your Opening Day 3rd starting outfielder...LF or RF...

Offline Slateman

« Reply #493: November 30, 2020, 03:07:31 PM »
he sprays and makes very good contact so I don't see the regression. 
https://www.mlb.com/news/best-tools-free-agent-hitters-2020

Also, I don't know how to embed the image, but these 2018-2020 spray charts seem to show power that'd work in DC.  I'd say the balls that got out to left would get out here, and the homers to right would be at worst off the wall.   lots of liners to right that'd I would guess ought to drop here. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/dj-lemahieu/9874/spray-charts?position=2B&type=battedball&pid2=9874&ss1=2018&se1=2020&ss2=2018&se2=2020&cht1=hangtime&cht2=battedball&vs1=ALL&vs2=ALL
Yea, all that's great, but the home/away splits are too drastic to ignore.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #494: November 30, 2020, 03:24:40 PM »
Mark my words...Andrew Stevenson will be your Opening Day 3rd starting outfielder...LF or RF...
LAC.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #495: November 30, 2020, 03:38:02 PM »
Howie wants to play next year per The Athletic.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #496: November 30, 2020, 04:44:40 PM »
Howie wants to play next year per The Athletic.
really curious about Zimmerman.  Assume there are 'rona restrictions for the first 3 months or so.  Maybe MLB can get injections lined up early among the general public (all animals are created equal, some are more equal than others) after the priority inoculations, does he play?  If yes, do you go with 2 old guys in a time share hoping one is healthy? 

I still like Gyorko or La Stella a bit more as a regular, with RZ or HK getting the short side of a
<---- .

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #497: November 30, 2020, 05:25:50 PM »
We haven't heard anything on Zimmerman, I wonder if he's waiting to see if the NL adopts a DH next year.  I wouldn't be surprised if he just decides he's done and hangs them up. I imagine it would be tough to return to the grind after spending a year home with the kids.

Zuckerman did a Q&A this morning on masnsports.com, no real news except he expects that the Nats will be looking for mostly short-term FA signings and won't be dealing any of their top prospects or younger players, specifically he mentioned Cavelli, Rutledge, Garcia, Kieboom, and Robles.  He notes that neither Rizzo nor Martinez have spoken to the press since the season ended, so he's flying blind right now.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #498: November 30, 2020, 07:53:54 PM »
We haven't heard anything on Zimmerman, I wonder if he's waiting to see if the NL adopts a DH next year.  I wouldn't be surprised if he just decides he's done and hangs them up. I imagine it would be tough to return to the grind after spending a year home with the kids.

Zuckerman did a Q&A this morning on masnsports.com, no real news except he expects that the Nats will be looking for mostly short-term FA signings and won't be dealing any of their top prospects or younger players, specifically he mentioned Cavelli, Rutledge, Garcia, Kieboom, and Robles.  He notes that neither Rizzo nor Martinez have spoken to the press since the season ended, so he's flying blind right now.
Antuna? Cate?  intentional omissions.

So, would a 3 year contract be "short-term"? That might be enough for LeMahieu. I'm also intrigued by Renato Nunez if we go cheap.

Offline madj55

« Reply #499: November 30, 2020, 10:34:54 PM »

I really hope not. Content with him as a 4th OF.