Author Topic: 2020-21 Offseason  (Read 61550 times)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Re: 2020-21 Offseason
« Reply #50: September 25, 2020, 04:50:23 PM »
The only position they’ve ever sunk big money into has been the OF. I wouldn’t be surprised.

Max and Corbin would disagree with that.

Offline madj55

« Reply #51: September 25, 2020, 05:37:41 PM »
Max and Corbin would disagree with that.
Thought that went without saying since we all know they invest in pitching.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #52: September 25, 2020, 06:26:28 PM »
I wonder if Kieboom has enough value to get Mitch Hangier and Anthony Misiewicz from the Mariners

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #53: September 25, 2020, 07:51:08 PM »
I wonder if Kieboom has enough value to get Mitch Hangier and Anthony Misiewicz from the Mariners

Would you risk trading for Kiebust if your reputation was on the line as well as your standing with ownership.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #54: September 25, 2020, 08:05:05 PM »
Would you risk trading for Kiebust if your reputation was on the line as well as your standing with ownership.
Not sure who you're talking about, but Seattle has done well to develop and trade for talent the last few years.

I love how people are declaring a 23 year old a bust after 165 plate appearances in the big leagues.

Offline MtPleasantNatsFan

Re: Re: Adam Eaton, is it really over?
« Reply #55: September 27, 2020, 10:58:33 PM »
my money is on RZ never returning

He should retire but I believe he’s got an ego that won’t let him

Offline MtPleasantNatsFan

Re: Re: Re: Adam Eaton, is it really over?
« Reply #56: September 27, 2020, 11:01:25 PM »
Yea, Zims gone and the Lerners will be tight with the purse strings to start the season.

The Lerners aren’t cheap, so why do you write this?

Offline Five Banners

Re: Re: Re: Adam Eaton, is it really over?
« Reply #57: September 27, 2020, 11:22:08 PM »
He should retire but I believe he’s got an ego that won’t let him

I think it’s more than that he was excited to be playing and not getting constant pain with plantar issues, and I seem to remember words to that effect

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline imref

« Reply #60: September 28, 2020, 12:39:12 PM »
An open letter from Mark Lerner:

https://curlyw.mlblogs.com/a-letter-to-nationals-fans-from-mark-d-lerner-62ca88b162b5

Dear Nats Fans:
I hope you and your families are healthy and adjusting to our current circumstances as well as possible.

What a difference a year makes. This time last year we were gearing up for what turned out to be an historic postseason run. We were able to gather together inside Nationals Park in record-breaking numbers, wearing lots of red on our sleeves and hope in our hearts. The 2019 team more than delivered — and the celebrations on the field and on the streets of Washington, D.C. were filled with joy and fellowship.

This year, we are huddling at home viewing the world via computer screens and the team wasn’t able to overcome injuries and a slow start. Like you, I’m disappointed we won’t be able to experience postseason excitement again this year. But our difficult season on the field shouldn’t overshadow our successes off the field. Together, we supported members of our community who were most in need.

My family has always viewed ourselves as stewards of a civic asset — Nationals Park — and this year we worked hard to activate the stadium in new ways. When it became clear the pandemic would result in increased food insecurity for thousands of DMV families, we partnered with our good friend José Andrés’ non-profit, World Central Kitchen, and together produced and distributed more than 825,000 free meals out of the Nationals Park kitchens. When concerns regarding access to voting locations developed, we offered Nationals Park up as a Super Voting Center for early voting and on Election Day. When local charities were hit with unprecedented community needs, Nationals Philanthropies created a new fund (#NATS4GOOD) and you contributed hundreds of thousands of dollars, resulting in grant awards to community organizations throughout the DMV.

We banded together and showed that we are members of this community first.

Don’t get me wrong, your Natitude wasn’t entirely missing. I absolutely loved seeing the scoreboard videos of season plan holders, youth baseball coaches and players, essential workers and first responders all cheering the team on. You showed your excitement for new players making their debuts, helping to offset the disappointment that their families couldn’t experience the moment with them in-person. While it wasn’t in the ways we expected, you helped us continue to celebrate the 2019 Championship.

Thank you for your support during this difficult time.

I am looking forward to our reunion, whenever we are able to gather together again inside Nationals Park.

Stay safe and stay well.

Go Nats!

Mark D. Lerner, Managing Principal Owner and Vice Chairman

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #61: October 01, 2020, 12:46:06 PM »
My pick for a budget RF to perhaps hit behind Soto: Yasiel Puig.

« Reply #62: October 01, 2020, 12:48:54 PM »
Doo wants to return:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/09/15/sean-doolittle-nationals-future/

If Driveline can add a few ticks back to his fastball, he could be a nice buy low as a middle innings lefty.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #63: October 01, 2020, 12:57:28 PM »
My pick for a budget RF to perhaps hit behind Soto: Yasiel Puig.

not sure we can count on a guy no team wanted in 2020 to hit 5th in our lineup

« Reply #64: October 01, 2020, 01:19:18 PM »
not sure we can count on a guy no team wanted in 2020 to hit 5th in our lineup

That's not true.  Several teams pursued him and he had a deal with the Braves to be their everyday RF, then he tested positive and they backed out.  Then Markakis decided to play.

Offline imref

« Reply #65: October 01, 2020, 01:24:59 PM »
Nats Arms Race with a deep dive into our off-season needs:

http://www.nationalsarmrace.com/?p=16756

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #66: October 01, 2020, 01:27:01 PM »
That's not true.  Several teams pursued him and he had a deal with the Braves to be their everyday RF, then he tested positive and they backed out.  Then Markakis decided to play.

The point is he's a cancer and it's hurt his marketability. Yes there will be some team that will want him but he has no one to blame but himself for his situation.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #67: October 01, 2020, 01:30:59 PM »
Nats Arms Race with a deep dive into our off-season needs:

http://www.nationalsarmrace.com/?p=16756
It’s always darkest before the storm.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #68: October 01, 2020, 01:32:31 PM »
The point is he's a cancer and it's hurt his marketability. Yes there will be some team that will want him but he has no one to blame but himself for his situation.
I don’t think he had any issues in Cincy or Cleveland. He’s been humbled. Sounds like he has not been humbled enough to accept a reasonable salary. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #69: October 01, 2020, 01:34:10 PM »
I don’t think he had any issues in Cincy or Cleveland. He’s been humbled. Sounds like he has not been humbled enough to accept a reasonable salary. 
Has he been humbled enough to listen to defensive coaches about positioning?

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #70: October 01, 2020, 01:37:35 PM »
Has he been humbled enough to listen to defensive coaches about positioning?
Someone will find out next year. I don’t think he hits enough to make him worthwhile.

« Reply #71: October 01, 2020, 02:43:33 PM »

Cancer is a bit strong, but the perception is why he's a discount option. 

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #72: October 01, 2020, 03:01:17 PM »
Ozuna and McCann are coming off monster performances (relative to their career norms) and are likely a sucker bet to sign at their market value this offseason.

What's the argument against entering a rebuild?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #73: October 01, 2020, 03:18:48 PM »
What's the argument against entering a rebuild?

We have a player on a HOF trajectory (Soto), a very very good SS (Turner), three good starters, some solid bullpen arms and some OK spare parts around the rest of the roster. Maximizing Soto's cheap years in conjunction with the last few years of Scherzer is important, and Strasburg's only likely got a few elite years left, too. A rebuild in 2022/23 makes more sense as, likely, Turner leaves, Scherzer is old/retires, Corbin and Strasburg start dropping off.

Fill some gaps like RF, 1B, C, #4/5 SP and you have a team that can make the expanded playoff and then throw Scherzer-Strasburg-Corbin at any playoff series.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #74: October 01, 2020, 04:55:42 PM »
We have a player on a HOF trajectory (Soto), a very very good SS (Turner), three good starters, some solid bullpen arms and some OK spare parts around the rest of the roster. Maximizing Soto's cheap years in conjunction with the last few years of Scherzer is important, and Strasburg's only likely got a few elite years left, too. A rebuild in 2022/23 makes more sense as, likely, Turner leaves, Scherzer is old/retires, Corbin and Strasburg start dropping off.

Fill some gaps like RF, 1B, C, #4/5 SP and you have a team that can make the expanded playoff and then throw Scherzer-Strasburg-Corbin at any playoff series.

Or get a #1 starter who is a little younger and have a fantastic 2,3,4.   Good teams can live with a couple defense first catchers.   I don't think you want to break the bank on a catcher and count on him staying healthy and providing offense.   Spend less on some good offense from 1st and RF instead.   A couple more BP pieces, and that's a contending team.