Author Topic: 2020-21 Offseason  (Read 62777 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: 2020-21 Offseason
« Reply #450: November 23, 2020, 10:54:28 PM »
I also don't know how you can just say, "progress from Carter Kieboom" when he's never shown even a hair of ability to be an MLB hitter. You absolutely cannot pencil him in anywhere.
Its simple: If Kieboom and Robles are busts, then it doesnt matter who this team signs, as there will be no overcoming the complete inability of the farm system to produce MLB players.

You pencil him in. If he isn't hitting by the ASB, you make a trade.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #451: November 24, 2020, 08:46:49 AM »
I'd trade Kieboom and a mid level prospect for Bryant. I would also go after DJL for 1B and a left fielder ( Springer , Brantley ,Ozuna). We still need a # 4 and a lefty RP. I don't know if we have the money to sign them all but we could back-load the contracts with  a smaller first year salary until Scherzer is gone(?).

Offline Lazarchick 31

« Reply #452: November 24, 2020, 09:02:47 AM »
I'd trade Kieboom and a mid level prospect for Bryant. I would also go after DJL for 1B and a left fielder ( Springer , Brantley ,Ozuna). We still need a # 4 and a lefty RP. I don't know if we have the money to sign them all but we could back-load the contracts with  a smaller first year salary until Scherzer is gone(?).

First off we don't have the money for 2 of the 3, let alone all 3 AND having to add a#4 AND bullpen help. It just isn't there. And with covid and whatnot, there's really no reason for players to take back loaded contracts anymore. DLM is going to take an offer he can't refuse to get him out of NY, which means up front money not back end money.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #453: November 24, 2020, 09:45:07 AM »
First off we don't have the money for 2 of the 3, let alone all 3 AND having to add a#4 AND bullpen help. It just isn't there. And with covid and whatnot, there's really no reason for players to take back loaded contracts anymore. DLM is going to take an offer he can't refuse to get him out of NY, which means up front money not back end money.
I don't know why ONE year would impact whether a player signs here or not and what does Covid have to do with it. We are not talking about putting food on the table but genarational money regardless of what happens next year. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #454: November 24, 2020, 09:48:30 AM »
I don't know why ONE year would impact whether a player signs here or not and what does Covid have to do with it. We are not talking about putting food on the table but genarational money regardless of what happens next year.
It's more that the CBA is up after 2021 and so they might lose salary in 2022 with a strike or lockout. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #455: November 24, 2020, 10:19:05 AM »
It's more that the CBA is up after 2021 and so they might lose salary in 2022 with a strike or lockout. 
Yep. This might be one of the few times that deferred money is better for the player than up front money. Between Covid and the upcoming CBA, full salaries are unlikely for a while

Offline Expos

« Reply #456: November 24, 2020, 05:10:56 PM »
Blake Snell is apparently getting shopped.

Do we have the ammo to get him?

3 years left at 42 million

Offline Slateman

« Reply #457: November 24, 2020, 05:23:48 PM »

Not really. The farm system is weak and anything we give up will be MLB talent we need now. And we really only have three players the Rays could afford: Soto, Robles, and Kieboom.

Also, while Snell's talent is elite, his durability is worse than Strasburg's. Not sure we can be giving up talent for a guy who will only give you 24 starts.

And oh yeah: https://www.mlb.com/news/blake-snell-trade-scenario-rays
A source noted that Tampa Bay is not actively shopping Snell

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #458: November 25, 2020, 10:41:18 AM »

Not compared to the ~10 other teams who would be in. 

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #459: November 26, 2020, 05:26:58 PM »
who we gettin'?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #460: November 26, 2020, 05:51:39 PM »
who we gettin'?
Spring for Springer, I/M/O.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #461: November 26, 2020, 05:59:11 PM »
who we gettin'?
Think bargain basement deals.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #464: November 27, 2020, 10:33:55 AM »
MLB.com rumour mill has Realmuto possibly coming here: https://www.mlb.com/news/j-t-realmuto-to-nationals-potential?partnerId=zh-20201127-156906-MLB&qid=1026&bt_ee=eL%2Fm5VGN1aioQZ%2BOei9vSdab2wwHmLpWs%2FtYsH1rLybcFlbsbK64iMsdWavtrSEp&bt_ts=1606480893528
if we did that, we'd have to go cheap in the OF and corner infield.  That said, I can see kicking the tires and pursuing him just enough so he doesn't sign for cheap within the division.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #465: November 27, 2020, 12:08:06 PM »
if we did that, we'd have to go cheap in the OF and corner infield.  That said, I can see kicking the tires and pursuing him just enough so he doesn't sign for cheap within the division.

I'd think McCann is a more likely acquisition for us.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #466: November 27, 2020, 12:56:31 PM »
Cheap on the corner infield is easy. We have Kieboom.

But this team also needs another starting pitcher and that market isn't going cheap this year.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #467: November 27, 2020, 05:14:26 PM »
Cheap on the corner infield is easy. We have Kieboom.

But this team also needs another starting pitcher and that market isn't going cheap this year.
Funny you say that.  My thought is that there's going to be some cheap vets available in late January to fill in at #4.  Patience.  I think quality bats will be scarce outside of the usual 1B/DHs.

Do we have the [guts] to go into next year with Garcia, Castro, Kieboom, and Harrison at 2d and 3d?  IF we do, then that opens up on position for going big and maybe better than a left over for 4th starter.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #468: November 27, 2020, 05:20:58 PM »
Funny you say that.  My thought is that there's going to be some cheap vets available in late January to fill in at #4.  Patience.  I think quality bats will be scarce outside of the usual 1B/DHs.

Do we have the [guts] to go into next year with Garcia, Castro, Kieboom, and Harrison at 2d and 3d?  IF we do, then that opens up on position for going big and maybe better than a left over for 4th starter.
Garcia can go play a full season in Double A. He isn't ready. Everyone keeps talking him up, but he was a below average bat at second base. He needs at least a season, if not two, to develop. Frankly, I think of him as Turner's replacement.

The Lerners aren't going to let Rizzo spend like previous season. He isn't getting a 200 million payroll. Or 190. He'll be lucky to get 180. Its plainlyobvious the owners intend to suppress spending in the offseason and plead poverty when there are limited fans next season.

Third base isn't a hole. You cant spend prospects and money trying to plug a gap that isn't there. Not when you have so many holes on a team that is supposedly a competitor. That money needs to be alotted to RF, first base, a number 4 starter who can fill in as a number 2 or 3, and a closer. They need Kieboom to click and they have to give him time to do it.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #469: November 28, 2020, 01:33:49 AM »
I'd think McCann is a more likely acquisition for us.

I'd like that.  In terms of dollars per skill/got combo he might be the best bet.  However, then we'd be banking on zim to be the big righty bat behind soto, which is tough to bank on

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #470: November 28, 2020, 11:48:06 AM »
Garcia can go play a full season in Double A. He isn't ready. Everyone keeps talking him up, but he was a below average bat at second base. He needs at least a season, if not two, to develop. Frankly, I think of him as Turner's replacement.

The Lerners aren't going to let Rizzo spend like previous season. He isn't getting a 200 million payroll. Or 190. He'll be lucky to get 180. Its plainlyobvious the owners intend to suppress spending in the offseason and plead poverty when there are limited fans next season.

Third base isn't a hole. You cant spend prospects and money trying to plug a gap that isn't there. Not when you have so many holes on a team that is supposedly a competitor. That money needs to be alotted to RF, first base, a number 4 starter who can fill in as a number 2 or 3, and a closer. They need Kieboom to click and they have to give him time to do it.
I'm not saying he was good enough to be handed a starting role on a supposed contender and would not object to him starting the year all the way back in Harrisburg, but I would not be shocked if he was an average 2d basemen next year and him playing well enough in camp to steal the starting role.  That said, I think he's good enough and young enough that burning an option so that you get more years of him when he's a plus 2d baseman rather than average makes some sense.  No need to accrue service time giving him his training wheels in the majors when you want him to be a racing bike when he comes up. you still have coverage with Harrison and Castro and Kieboom on your MLB roster, but I'd expect another utility signing if we went that way.

I don't really like the idea of spending big on a first baseman.  I think there are plenty of bats there.  While we were burned a bit last year by Thames, the track record for finding one or two years of a bat at 1st has been pretty good.  I'd see what we can get for$10MM, unless we were to make a commitment to LeMahieu.  edit - a cheap signing I'd kick the tires on is Renato Nunez.  I think you could sign him and Moreland for under $10MM, if not Moreland, then maybe Jedd Gyorko or Tommy La Stella as CIs

I think we need to come out of the offseason with a reliable righty bat who can hit #2-4 in the order.  Whether that's a corner OF (I'm not convinced Soto can't play RF with Robles in CF), an IF, or a C, that's the big acquisition.  I'm skeptical about Bryant, so I would not pay a lot for 1 year of him and I would not want to make a multi-year commitment to him now.  I see him as ending up in Philly next year with Bryce.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #471: November 28, 2020, 05:14:14 PM »
no to Bryant unless the Cubs are willing to take pennies on the dollar or he agrees to a team-friendly extension.
no to Realmuto.  He's good, but I don't want to pay big bucks for a catcher.

Only FAs I would be willing to shell out for would be DJ or (begrudgingly) Springer.  Both probably still get under $100M so i wouldn't be too worried.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #472: November 28, 2020, 05:36:20 PM »
(begrudgingly) Springer
Why begrudgingly?

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #473: November 28, 2020, 05:57:46 PM »
Why begrudgingly?

Because he doesn’t want someone at the heart of a Black Sox-level scandal on the team he supports?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #474: November 28, 2020, 06:17:04 PM »
Because he doesn’t want someone at the heart of a Black Sox-level scandal on the team he supports?
well, he is not Altuve-level culpable.