Author Topic: 2020-21 Offseason  (Read 61583 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: 2020-21 Offseason
« Reply #1150: January 23, 2021, 07:36:22 PM »
According to Heyman, Nats are a player for Hand now. The question is money (obviously).

I really don't see how they can make this move, regardless of how good of a fit he is. 
The Nats still are almost $27MM below the luxury tax threshold.  They can afford to give him 3 years, $30MM, which is the high side of estimates, if they think he's worth it.  They'd still be able to sign an Alex Avila or Tyler Flowers for $4MM if they wanted and have a lot of room for mid-season additions if they needed it.

I could see them giving Kieboom another shot and more or less leaving the lineup as is now.  Best case scenario is that it clicks for him.  I expect the Bell/ Zimmerman combo at first to be productive offensively, so I think that is your Soto protection.  NL East, other than ATL (Fried and Smyly), is pretty heavy on righty starters. Righty starters killed the Nats last year with Thames just not ever playing well and nothing to fear from Garcia.  Having Schwarber and Bell with Soto helps, and Castro hits righties pretty well, too, and Turner hits everybody.  I would like La Stella as one more position player for OBP, but I hope it isn't a fatal weakness.  Against lefty starters, Zimmerman plays and crushes, and, surprisingly, Gomes does very well.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #1151: January 23, 2021, 07:40:30 PM »
Idk, it just doesn’t seem like a Nats move to sign Hand. At this point I’d be more surprised if they signed Hand compared to Bauer.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #1152: January 23, 2021, 08:49:06 PM »
Idk, it just doesn’t seem like a Nats move to sign Hand. At this point I’d be more surprised if they signed Hand compared to Bauer.
Agreed. It's the kind of move where they are a "mystery team"

Offline raleighnat

« Reply #1153: January 23, 2021, 10:57:27 PM »
The Nats still are almost $27MM below the luxury tax threshold.  They can afford to give him 3 years, $30MM, which is the high side of estimates, if they think he's worth it.  They'd still be able to sign an Alex Avila or Tyler Flowers for $4MM if they wanted and have a lot of room for mid-season additions if they needed it.

I could see them giving Kieboom another shot and more or less leaving the lineup as is now.  Best case scenario is that it clicks for him.  I expect the Bell/ Zimmerman combo at first to be productive offensively, so I think that is your Soto protection.  NL East, other than ATL (Fried and Smyly), is pretty heavy on righty starters. Righty starters killed the Nats last year with Thames just not ever playing well and nothing to fear from Garcia.  Having Schwarber and Bell with Soto helps, and Castro hits righties pretty well, too, and Turner hits everybody.  I would like La Stella as one more position player for OBP, but I hope it isn't a fatal weakness.  Against lefty starters, Zimmerman plays and crushes, and, surprisingly, Gomes does very well.

Hand would really be nice.  La Stella and a solid backup catcher.  They’d have a chance with that.

Turner
Lastella
Soto
Bell / Zimmerman
Schwarber
Castro
Gomes
Robles

Would be pretty decent combined with strong pitching if the starting pitching stayed healthy. 

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #1154: January 24, 2021, 08:13:29 AM »

Didn't we sign Harris for three years?

Online Slateman

« Reply #1155: January 24, 2021, 08:18:53 AM »
Unfortunately, yes

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #1156: January 24, 2021, 08:24:37 AM »

Sure. I more meant how they are coming in (supposedly) late and signing him, outbidding the other teams. For a RP that seems in demand, it just feels like not a Nats move

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #1157: January 24, 2021, 08:28:00 AM »

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #1158: January 24, 2021, 08:30:25 AM »
Hand would really be nice.  La Stella and a solid backup catcher.  They’d have a chance with that.

I'm aboard

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #1159: January 24, 2021, 10:27:04 AM »
Would it be crazy to think that LaStella could be an excellent target and that could mean a trade involving Kieboom for Contreras? Hand, LaStella, and Contreras would make for an excellent end to the off-season. I know that basically opens a hole for 3B or 2B in the coming seasons, but I think it could just be enough to work out.

I know the season still hinges on the health and effectiveness of the rotation, and bounce back campaigns from Bell and Schwarber with forward momentum from Robles. I do think that LaStella is a good bat and fills a current hole that we could also leverage towards getting a longer term catcher.

Online Slateman

« Reply #1160: January 24, 2021, 12:49:02 PM »
La Stella is 31, so I would assume it's a 2-4 year deal. That would be enough time for Antuna to develop

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1161: January 24, 2021, 05:31:41 PM »
Would it be crazy to think that LaStella could be an excellent target and that could mean a trade involving Kieboom for Contreras? Hand, LaStella, and Contreras would make for an excellent end to the off-season. I know that basically opens a hole for 3B or 2B in the coming seasons, but I think it could just be enough to work out.

I know the season still hinges on the health and effectiveness of the rotation, and bounce back campaigns from Bell and Schwarber with forward momentum from Robles. I do think that LaStella is a good bat and fills a current hole that we could also leverage towards getting a longer term catcher.
not a bad plan.  Contreras is $6.65MM this year.  La Stella maybe you can bring in at 3 years, $21MM, with of course some money deferred because Nats, and hand at $10MM leaves about $2-3MM under the threshold.  You could possible create space by sending some money along with Gomes (due $6MM, $5MM AAV) if Chicago wants a major league catcher for a year back. Say, send $3MM, and they save $3.6MM and we get $3MM further under the threshold.  You go with Harrison as your main infield depth, and maybe Adrian Sanchez ??? if you want Garcia playing every day in AAA, or perhaps even rely on Castro's position flexibility to go with just Zim and Harrison as the backup infielders. 

Online Slateman

« Reply #1162: January 24, 2021, 05:43:00 PM »
I'd be surprised if Hand only gets 10 million AAV. He's every bot as good as Hendricks, is younger, doesnt rely on 96+, andis left handed.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1163: January 24, 2021, 06:24:03 PM »
I'd be surprised if Hand only gets 10 million AAV. He's every bot as good as Hendricks, is younger, doesnt rely on 96+, andis left handed.
Just going off the FG median estimates, added a million AAV, and I think added a year.  But yes, a lot of signings are high.  If you can't get him for that, I'd try to get Colome for a bit less and look to bring back Doo at about $2 - 3 MM AAV. 

Offline Lazarchick 31

« Reply #1164: January 24, 2021, 06:26:44 PM »
Remind me again why we are talking about going north of 10 per for Hand when could have been easily had for 1-10 by claiming him?

Offline Sirjesse

« Reply #1165: January 24, 2021, 06:35:10 PM »
Remind me again why we are talking about going north of 10 per for Hand when could have been easily had for 1-10 by claiming him?

Hendricks get changed the market for relievers.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #1166: January 24, 2021, 06:47:23 PM »

At the time, there were questions about whether the FA market would maintain or tank, so many waited

Offline Lazarchick 31

Re: Re: 2020-21 Offseason
« Reply #1167: January 24, 2021, 07:54:54 PM »
Wow..awesome.

Make a deal for a catcher and a 3B and we are set.

1- Stephen Strasburg
2- Max Scherzer
3- Patrick Corbin
4- Jon Lester
5- Joe Ross

Closer- Brad Hand
Setup- Will Harris
Tanner Rainey
Daniel Hudson
Wander Suero
Kyle Finnegan
Luis Avilan
Erik Fedde / Austin Voth

C- Yan Gomes / ?
1B- Josh Bell / Ryan Zimmerman
2B- Starlin Castro / Josh Harrison
3B- ? / Luis Garcia
LF- Kyle Schwarber / Andrew Stevenson
CF- Victor Robles
RF- Juan Soto

Goodness what I wouldn't do to see Justin Turner in that lineup

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #1168: January 24, 2021, 07:58:36 PM »
If the Nats somehow got Contreras and LaStella, this will have been a very productive off-season that would probably prop the contention window for two to three years.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #1169: January 24, 2021, 08:02:17 PM »
I like that we're not committing long-term money or dealing the limited prospect talent we have while filling in these roster holes and giving us a chance to contend.  We'll take our shot this year, and especially with Max coming off the books, we'll have money to spend next year to once again try to contend.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

Re: Re: Re: 2020-21 Offseason
« Reply #1170: January 24, 2021, 08:03:19 PM »
If the Nats somehow got Contreras and LaStella, this will have been a very productive off-season that would probably prop the contention window for two to three years.

I just don't have confidence in our ability to trade for Contreras.  He'll be in much higher demand than Bell, and we just don't have an abundance of prospect talent. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1171: January 24, 2021, 08:36:12 PM »
Sign La Stella, then start with Cubs choice of Kieboom or Garcia, 2 prospect pitchers (any lefty and any righty not named Cavalli or Rutledge), and offer Gomes and $3MM if they want a catcher they could possibly flip.  Israel Pineda, too. Even if he wasn't taken in the ruel 5, he may be worth something as long as he can be kept off the 40 man roster.   For 2 years of Contreras, that's 4 prospects.  Although a bit of the bloom is off Kieboom, he was pretty high on most ratings before 2019.  Romero has pretty nice stuff if his head is on straight. 

Offline Sirjesse

Re: Brad lends a Hand for 1 year, $10.5MM
« Reply #1172: January 24, 2021, 08:54:24 PM »
mlbtraderumors says we are at 196m against the tax threshold of 210m, with 199m actually on the books. Unless we bring in a 3b or catcher for under 5m I say we are probably done. but then again.....

Healthy Strasburg
Bell for Thames
Another year of maturity for Robles, Kieboom, Garcia
Schwarber for Eaton
Healthy Castro
Hand for Doolittle
Lester for Sanchez

If all of that goes right it is a playoff team. Then again, it is all about that rotation. If Stras, Corbin, and Sanchez performed last year we were probably in.

Online Slateman

« Reply #1173: January 24, 2021, 08:54:47 PM »
Yea, I dont see the Cubs giving up Contreras for anything less than Cavali or Rutledge. And I dont see the need to mortgage the future like that.

Sign a decent backup, roll with the lineup. If you're still in it by July, make a move at the deadline.

Offline aspenbubba

Re: Re: Brad lends a Hand for 1 year, $10.5MM
« Reply #1174: January 25, 2021, 09:20:59 AM »
Wow..awesome.

Make a deal for a catcher and a 3B and we are set.

Yep!! That's all folks!! Rizzo is doing what he needed to do within budget (luxury tax) and one middle IF.