Author Topic: Nationals @ Marlins, Game 3  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Re: Nationals @ Marlins, Game 3
« Reply #25: September 19, 2020, 08:56:20 PM »
I'd like to think I am reasonable.  ;)  I too, though, have a long list of stuff that makes me want to yell at the screen and break stuff. The obsession with "pitch framing" that so many people seem to have, for example. And I absolutely hate the obnoxiousness of the Brian Kenny's of the world who sit around cherry-picking various newfangled stats and patting themselves on the back for their 20/20 hindsight.

Agreed, it's pretty silly.  Stats like WAR are interesting because they ostensibly allow you to compare players across positions. 

Stats that purport to measure things like route efficiency are not: they simply attempt to artificially quantify something that any human with eyes can see and separate it from other meaningful components of the skill it is part of.  The worst one so far is "barrels": all it represents is a measure of hitting the ball hard and in the air without popping it up and applies a catchy name to it.  Then some monkey like Kenny points out that guys with lots of "barrels" tend to have a lot of home runs.  Well, yeah.  That's because it basically seeks to measure which balls are likely to turn into extra base hits.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #26: September 19, 2020, 09:02:54 PM »
I'd like to think I am reasonable.  ;)  I too, though, have a long list of stuff that makes me want to yell at the screen and break stuff. The obsession with "pitch framing" that so many people seem to have, for example. And I absolutely hate the obnoxiousness of the Brian Kenny's of the world who sit around cherry-picking various newfangled stats and patting themselves on the back for their 20/20 hindsight.
Resistance to the automated strike zone, combined with both batters and pitchers complaining about balls and strikes makes me crazy.

Not sure if anyone noticed -- after tonight the W-L record will be 19-31.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #27: September 19, 2020, 09:16:52 PM »
19-31

Online Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #28: September 19, 2020, 09:18:08 PM »
Time to break out the "just go 1-0 today" mantra.

Offline hohoho

« Reply #29: September 19, 2020, 09:19:52 PM »
19-31. Right on track.

Online GataNats

« Reply #30: September 20, 2020, 12:55:16 AM »
Corbin has lost significant velocity.