Author Topic: Adam Eaton, is it really over?  (Read 2798 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Adam Eaton, is it really over?
« Topic Start: September 18, 2020, 03:32:06 PM »
via @federalbaseball

Adam Eaton, who could become a free agent this winter, on his four seasons with the #Nationals: “I couldn’t have asked for a better four years.”

IL to end season?: “To do what I did this year, and then to end up on the IL to end the year is just as fitting as it could be. "

Career with the Nats (310 games):
.279   / .365 / .410 (.320 / .433 / .560 in the 2019 WS)

This will always be my favorite Eaton quote, after Game 2 of the NLCS:

"Everything I was thinking, they did the opposite," Eaton said. "So I was thinking 3-2 [count] should be a heater here and I'm like, 'Well, that's the opposite, so I should George Costanza it and just go ahead and [say] breaking ball,' and that's what happened."

Offline rileyn

Re: Adam Eaton, is it really over?
« Reply #1: September 18, 2020, 04:33:05 PM »
Adam Eaton will always be with us.  Every 5th day when Giolito starts a game, this board will continue to re-evaluate The Trade.  Count on it.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #2: September 18, 2020, 04:44:12 PM »
Given the World Series Championship and the part Eaton played in securing that for us, I'll never regret that trade. Not winning the 2019 WS (and maybe never winning one) just doesn't compute, I don't care who we might still have on the roster.

Offline imref

« Reply #3: September 18, 2020, 04:52:04 PM »
Eaton/Giolito has got to have surpassed "sign fielder" as the most discussed topic in this forum's history.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #4: September 18, 2020, 05:01:02 PM »
Given the World Series Championship and the part Eaton played in securing that for us, I'll never regret that trade. Not winning the 2019 WS (and maybe never winning one) just doesn't compute, I don't care who we might still have on the roster.

:clap:

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #5: September 18, 2020, 07:19:47 PM »
I love Eaton, despite all the bashing he's endured the whole time he's been with us.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #6: September 19, 2020, 01:03:19 AM »
Yes, it's really over. 

Remember how he limped around in the outfield for over a year?  He really made a great comeback from that.  Not sure what the future holds for Mr. Eaton, but he resides in the pantheon of Nationals history. 

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #7: September 19, 2020, 04:43:33 AM »
No - there's always going to be the enjoyment of letting Harper go

Eaton/Giolito has got to have surpassed "sign fielder" as the most discussed topic in this forum's history.

Offline ajcartwright

« Reply #8: September 19, 2020, 12:38:06 PM »
No - there's always going to be the enjoyment of letting Harper go

I received no enjoyment from Harper leaving! He is way, way, way more exciting to watch than anyone on this team of mostly cast-offs and wannabees. Harper's AB's are still must see TV and absolutely no one in this entire organization can come close to Harper's great head of hair. Seems letting superstars go is status quo for the Nationals so enjoy Turner & Soto while you can.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #9: September 19, 2020, 01:09:01 PM »
I received no enjoyment from Harper leaving! He is way, way, way more exciting to watch than anyone on this team of mostly cast-offs and wannabees. Harper's AB's are still must see TV and absolutely no one in this entire organization can come close to Harper's great head of hair. Seems letting superstars go is status quo for the Nationals so enjoy Turner & Soto while you can.

I always thought keeping Rendon was more beneficial to the team rather than Harper. Someone posited that the Strasburg extension prevented Rendons re-signing here. I never thought of it that way and it is a credible hypothesis. I take more joy out of Harpers struggles the past two years than Rendons slught decline this year. I guess it has to do with him being a Philly and having a crippling Ryan Howard contract.

Offline hohoho

« Reply #10: September 19, 2020, 06:14:42 PM »
It’s no coincidence the Nats won the ws when he left. So much for “excitement”.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #11: September 19, 2020, 07:25:03 PM »
Per BR, Eaton has provided approximately half as much value over the past 4 seasons as Michael A. Taylor.  Per Fangraphs, they're approximately even.  Either way, they both produced in the playoffs after being...well, present...most of the rest of the time.  Eaton's value has been that of a average to below average rightfielder, and that was with years before his defense went into the toilet.

I'm tired of Eaton.  It's not about the trade.  It's that he's not very good.   When he came here, he was supposed to be able to play CF.  Now he's a bad corner OF.  He doesn't hit enough to occupy a corner badly.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #12: September 19, 2020, 07:30:00 PM »
Per BR, Eaton has provided approximately half as much value over the past 4 seasons as Michael A. Taylor.  Per Fangraphs, they're approximately even.  Either way, they both produced in the playoffs after being...well, present...most of the rest of the time.  Eaton's value has been that of a average to below average rightfielder, and that was with years before his defense went into the toilet.

I'm tired of Eaton.  It's not about the trade.  It's that he's not very good.   When he came here, he was supposed to be able to play CF.  Now he's a bad corner OF.  He doesn't hit enough to occupy a corner badly.
easiest way to upgrade the lineup is a good corner OF and a lefty part-timer to split with RZ a first.

Offline ajcartwright

« Reply #13: September 19, 2020, 08:16:36 PM »
easiest way to upgrade the lineup is a good corner OF and a lefty part-timer to split with RZ a first.
my money is on RZ never returning

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #14: September 19, 2020, 08:55:54 PM »
Yea, Zims gone and the Lerners will be tight with the purse strings to start the season.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #15: September 20, 2020, 12:42:20 AM »
Eaton is not at CF because a rookie came up last year who is very good

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #16: September 20, 2020, 07:16:46 AM »

No, Eaton is not in CF because he cant play there. If Robles didnt do it, they would have gone with Taylor

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #17: September 20, 2020, 09:40:12 AM »
:(

Absolutely this.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #18: September 20, 2020, 10:00:06 AM »

No, Eaton isn't there because he sucks at playing CF.  He was awful there in 2017, and then he got hurt.  In 2018 Robles wasn't up yet.  They played MAT there before Eaton came back, and then when he was back he played right and they moved Harper to center.   This ain't ancient history.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #19: September 20, 2020, 10:06:46 AM »
No, Eaton isn't there because he sucks at playing CF.  He was awful there in 2017, and then he got hurt.  In 2018 Robles wasn't up yet.  They played MAT there before Eaton came back, and then when he was back he played right and they moved Harper to center.   This ain't ancient history.
Harper played CF a bit in 2018 I recall.

Offline imref

« Reply #20: September 20, 2020, 10:26:57 AM »

Yep.  Werth/Harper/Eaton might have been the worst defensive OF in baseball history. :)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #21: September 20, 2020, 10:40:16 AM »
:(

Absolutely this.

+1 Last year was worth losing whatever Giolito becomes

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #22: September 20, 2020, 10:44:11 AM »

Exactly my point.  63 games there, all of them after Eaton came off the DL in June. 

And people seem to forget that in the short stint at the beginning of 2018 before he went back on the DL, Eaton was playing left, with Harper in right and Taylor in center.  Soto came up in the interim, so left obviously wasn't available. 

Yep.  Werth/Harper/Eaton might have been the worst defensive OF in baseball history. :)

It wasn't Werth in 2018.  It was Soto.  The 2017 iteration had Eaton in center for 20-odd games until he broke, and it was probably even worse.  Not sure which you were referring to.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #23: September 20, 2020, 02:35:54 PM »
The trade was a bit of an overpay, but worth it.

And I don't see Eaton back after that quote.

Offline imref

« Reply #24: September 20, 2020, 02:50:32 PM »
Exactly my point.  63 games there, all of them after Eaton came off the DL in June. 

And people seem to forget that in the short stint at the beginning of 2018 before he went back on the DL, Eaton was playing left, with Harper in right and Taylor in center.  Soto came up in the interim, so left obviously wasn't available. 

It wasn't Werth in 2018.  It was Soto.  The 2017 iteration had Eaton in center for 20-odd games until he broke, and it was probably even worse.  Not sure which you were referring to.

Thanks for the correction.