Author Topic: Did Rizzo's contract situation affect his decisions at the deadline?  (Read 669 times)

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
I think Rizzo wants to win, but errs on the side of loyalty.  I can live with that.   The first year Nats who will be free agents (Thames, Holt, Harrison -- anyone else?) should not play one more game.  Let's hope for a last place finish in the National League.  Losing and getting the young players some playing time are the most important things right now.

What the hell happened to Thames and Holt?  Dreadful.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I think Rizzo wants to win, but errs on the side of loyalty.  I can live with that.   The first year Nats who will be free agents (Thames, Holt, Harrison -- anyone else?) should not play one more game.  Let's hope for a last place finish in the National League.  Losing and getting the young players some playing time are the most important things right now.

What the hell happened to Thames and Holt?  Dreadful.

If you want to finish last, running Thames and Holt out there looks like a very solid plan for getting there.  Plus Holt can play wherever you need in order to ensure there aren't too many good players in the lineup. 

Offline catocony

Guys arguing "why didn't he sell" make it sound like Cabrera or Eaton would have netted some value in return.  They wouldn't have, so it really wasn't worth trying to give them away.  The mistake I see at this point is playing guys like Holt and Thane.  I would have Kieboom, Andrew Stephenson, some of the AAA/AA pitchers up and playing.  They aren't making the playoffs and won't be near .500, which is fine in this season where no one really cares.  They need to be in a position to win next season, so now is the time to see what you have at corner infield, right field and pitching for next year. 

Is it embarrassing to have the crew that just won a World Series playing so poorly?  Yeah, but with so many players out, it's understandable.  The team was rebuilt a bit over the winter but it's mostly fan service to keep all of the guys from last year.  I honestly feel that the 2019 team was maybe the 5th or 6th most talented team since 2005.  Which means, from a talent perspective, it's behind the other 4 that made the playoffs and maybe the 2013 team.  The goal was to start the season with the same team and swap guys out if/when needed during the long season.  We don't have a long season this year, so that plan went to crap.  It happens. 

As usual for me, I do like to remind guys like Slate that baseball trades aren't like fantasy league, where you can bundle three guys playing
poorly into a trade for guys who aren't playing poorly. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Something is better than nothing. Those fringe guys get turned into Daniel Hudson and Tanner Roark

Offline Duke of Earl

Is it embarrassing to have the crew that just won a World Series playing so poorly? 
No. Not at all in my opinion.  I'm not embarrassed, and if we were winning, I wouldn't care either.  This is really little more than an extended exhibition season.  Do they crown the winner of the exhibition season?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
The 2 guys on expiring contracts that would have brought back prospects were Kendrick and Suzuki, because catchers are at a premium

Online Natsinpwc

The 2 guys on expiring contracts that would have brought back prospects were Kendrick and Suzuki, because catchers are at a premium
Even AssCab would have brought something back. Someone would bet on him getting hit as he did last year.

Online Natsinpwc

No. Not at all in my opinion.  I'm not embarrassed, and if we were winning, I wouldn't care either.  This is really little more than an extended exhibition season.  Do they crown the winner of the exhibition season?
A whole season of this would be bad. But with 60 games it’s already more than half over. Allows some of us more time to focus on our second teams.  :couch: