Author Topic: Did Rizzo's contract situation affect his decisions at the deadline?  (Read 668 times)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Pretty sure the union would flip their crap if a big vet got put on the IL when he wasn't hurt.

That being said, I really don't see this team turning it around. We're halfway through and the offense is basically the top two hitters, and 3 out of our 5 starters have Triple A ERAs. I think Rizzo should DFA anyone who obviously isn't coming back next season, and call up young our minor leaguers to get reps.

25 games, even in this bastardization of a season, would be incredibly educational. Yan Gomes showing Israel Pineda on how he preps with pitchers would be invaluable for future seasons. Corbin talking with Seth Romero and Tim Cate about being a lefty. Scherzer helping out Jackson Rutledge and talking workouts and offseason prep with Cavali. And I want to give Kieboom every opportunity to improve. He has to know what to work on this offseason, and we need to give him a chance to build his confidence next season.

But, to the topic at hand, it feels like Rizzo stood pat, and that doesn't seem to be a good idea. Not even a minor move, either way. Very uncharacteristic of Rizzo, and I'm wondering if his contract status had something to do with it.

I think Scherzer would flip a crap before it even got to the union, but the point is the same - this team basically only has two starters that give it even a chance to win, and they're losing Corbin's starts too. 

On Rizzo's contract, I'm hesitant to attribute it to that.  The team was in exactly the position where they were too far out to justify buying but had too few salable assets worth anything.  Most of the dudes who might be useful to other teams and are arguably expendable are struggling (Eaton, Doolittle, Cabrera, Sanchez, Kendrick) or injured (Castro).  I'm a little surprised that both catchers stayed, but that's about it, and neither of them would have brought a big haul.