Author Topic: We are currently the 4th worst team in all of baseball.  (Read 5411 times)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

That's the part that irks me most.  Whatever big market team wins this farce of a season will get all the press and hoopla next season, and the Nats will be utterly forgotten.

Unless it's the White Sox, in which case ESPN will continue to pretend they don't exist, or the Astros, in which case Manfred will turn on the frantic spin machine to create some stupid redemption story.

I mean, thinking about the likely playoff teams, ESPN is going to be pretty annoyed if it's not a Yankees-Dodgers or Yankees-Cubs series.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
via NBC sports, we have a 0.1% chance of making the playoffs:

The Nationals are eliminated if they lose, and one of Milwaukee, San Francisco or St. Louis wins. That’s step one.

Philadelphia holds the tiebreaker over Washington, so a Nationals loss against the Phillies would eliminate them against Philadelphia (because Washington can’t finish with a better record). However, the Nationals would still need at least one other team to get to 28 wins since none of the other three (Milwaukee, San Francisco and St. Louis) have clinched the intradivision tiebreaker yet.

That means at least eight teams could reach 28 wins and, if they lose, the Nationals could not win more than 27.

Just gotta go 5-0...

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I think the nail in the coffin was losing Max's start to the Marlins.  I anticipate that at least one WC or the NL East 2d spot will go to 29 win team.  Had we beat the Marlins, we'd have 31 losses and they'd have 28, like the Phillies.  I would be surprised if those teams went better than 2-3 down the stretch. 

Offline Natsinpwc

I think the nail in the coffin was losing Max's start to the Marlins.  I anticipate that at least one WC or the NL East 2d spot will go to 29 win team.  Had we beat the Marlins, we'd have 31 losses and they'd have 28, like the Phillies.  I would be surprised if those teams went better than 2-3 down the stretch.
The Phillies only have 4 games left. So 2-3 would be very hard.

P.S.  Hembree and Workman have been total distastera. Sea old is a decent prospect and I see Pivetta pitched well yesterday. The Sawx fleeced Klentak.  Well most GMs do.

Offline Natsinpwc

Currently tied with the BLOS for seventh worst record. 

Who are we getting at the draft?  :mg:

Offline imref

Trevor Lawrence.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
At number 6, Gunnar Hoglund

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Kwame Brown.

Offline imref

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
:hysterical:
put him at first.  You won't see throws going over his head.  His stretch would shorten throws by about 3 feet. 

Offline imref

put him at first.  You won't see throws going over his head.  His stretch would shorten throws by about 3 feet. 

Would Michael Jordan then sit behind the dugout to ride him during the game?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Yeah, at which point they would hit his glove and then squib off into right field.   Seriously, you ever seen the dude grab a rebound?  No? Yeah, neither has anyone else. 

Could we possible get Jack Leiter?  :mg:

Offline Natsinpwc

Offline Slateman

Could we possible get Jack Leiter?  :mg:
Yea, if he has a crap season and/or gets hurt.

Unpopular opinion: Leiter is going to be the best pitcher in this draft.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
we are going to have 26 wins.  4 AL and 2 NL teams are guaranteed to have fewer wins.  going into today, 5 teams had 26 wins, including the Mets. So, no better than 7th, and a shot at worse than that.

Offline nfotiu

Crazy that we were 4 wins from the playoffs.   If 1 or 2 of Strasburg, Howie, Castro, BP injuries/Zimmerman,Ross opting out/the DH didn't happen, we'd be easily in the playoffs.  I don't really care, except I'd rather watch more Nats games for something to do. 

Everything that happened makes me appreciate the fact that we got to experience the 2019 season.

Offline MtPleasantNatsFan

Has any team ever won the World Series and then finish up the next season as the worst team in baseball.

If this wasn’t already answered- didn’t the Marlins immediately trade away everyone after their win?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Twice
If this wasn’t already answered- didn’t the Marlins immediately trade away everyone after their win?

Offline MtPleasantNatsFan

Twice

This is what drives me nuts with the “Lerners are cheap” talk- there are 20 examples of owners cheaper than they are.  At worst, they’re middling, but I’ve read articles where they’re in the top ten of MLB owners (Which I think is a bit much)

Offline Slateman

11th pick in the draft

Steven Hajjar. Nice, tall college pitcher

Offline Natsinpwc

11th pick in the draft

Steven Hajjar. Nice, tall college pitcher
The Marlins should DFA Sixto. I know some of the Phillies “braintrust” did not think he had the right build for a major league pitcher. Doh.

Offline MonsterUSMC

• GO NATS! GO TAR HEELS!!!
Yea, if he has a crap season and/or gets hurt.

Unpopular opinion: Leiter is going to be the best pitcher in this draft.
I agree.

Offline Slateman

The Marlins should DFA Sixto. I know some of the Phillies “braintrust” did not think he had the right build for a major league pitcher. Doh.
Still may not. 39 innings doth not an MLB pitcher make