Author Topic: We are currently the 4th worst team in all of baseball.  (Read 5370 times)

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Back in the JZ contract negotiation era the theory from the front office was that the lifespan for TJ was only 8 years.

Maybe that was code for thinking jzimm would regress for other reasons?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

If you ask elvir he should be crap by now  ;)

Nah.  It's well known that if you have to get TJ, results are better for younger guys.  And some guys never have another problem after TJ.  Then there are some who never make it back at all.  Most guys are in the middle, but younger arms are generally healthier than older ones for almost all purposes.   There's a world of difference between a 26 year old and a 31 year old in pitching land, regardless of the arm injury.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Nah.  It's well known that if you have to get TJ, results are better for younger guys.  And some guys never have another problem after TJ.  Then there are some who never make it back at all.  Most guys are in the middle, but younger arms are generally healthier than older ones for almost all purposes.   There's a world of difference between a 26 year old and a 31 year old in pitching land, regardless of the arm injury.

Have you read the arm by Jeff passan?  I highly recommend it as a book about tommy John (plus Daniel Hudson and Todd Coffey are both used as case studies in it). 

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Have you read the arm by Jeff passan?  I highly recommend it as a book about tommy John (plus Daniel Hudson and Todd Coffey are both used as case studies in it).

Yes. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Giolito had UCL replacement surgery in 2012. Seven years later he was able to put it all together

What’s the lifespan of TJ?
So signing Strasburg was a bad move?

Giolito was also a high schooler when he was drafted. With or without TJS, it was going to take several years to put it together.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace

Offline Elvir Ovcina

what'd you think?

Interesting book.  Had some funny parts, too - like when Coffey was trying to set up workouts for his comeback, the more frequent question than anything about his arm was whether he was still fat.   I thought the Japan portion was also interesting.   The science/medical part is a little out of date by now, but it's still illustrative of the issues and range of outcomes. 

Offline Duke of Earl

Back in the JZ contract negotiation era the theory from the front office was that the lifespan for TJ was only 8 years.
Strasburg returned from Tj late 2011, had a good 8 years through 2019, and 2020, can’t pitch at all.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Gotta go 2-0 today

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Gotta go 2-0 today
do I need to bump an old thread for one of these games?

Offline Dave in Fairfax

do I need to bump an old thread for one of these games?
I started a new thread for game 1, since nothing I found says which was supposed to be the make-up game. Should there be a separate thread for game 2?

Offline Natsinpwc

Gotta go 2-0 today
You meant 0-2.  Embrace the process.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I started a new thread for game 1, since nothing I found says which was supposed to be the make-up game. Should there be a separate thread for game 2?
nah, we should just start a new one.  I think one of these games is a makeup of a rainout where we might have had fewer than 10 posts, so might as well start a new one

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Give up on the "process".  The O's are unreachable.

You meant 0-2.  Embrace the process.

Offline Natsinpwc

Give up on the "process".  The O's are unreachable.
Need to check those standings. The BLOS are 4.5 games better than the Nats. 

Offline Natsinpwc

Nats now have the 5th worst record.  Still within striking range though.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Nats now have the 5th worst record.  Still within striking range though.
Lol, they ain't catching the Pirates.

At this point, I'd like to be in position to grab Jack Leiter, Jaden Hill, or Jud Fabian

Offline Natsinpwc

Lol, they ain't catching the Pirates.

At this point, I'd like to be in position to grab Jack Leiter, Jaden Hill, or Jud Fabian
The Pirates are tied with Boston and Texas. 

Offline Natsinpwc

Winning percentages.

Pirates.  .333
Boston.  .333
Texas     .333
KC.        .341
Nats.     .359
AZ.        .366

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Winning percentages.

Pirates.  .333
Boston.  .333
Texas     .333
KC.        .341
Nats.     .359
AZ.        .366

we can do it team!

Offline Natsinpwc

we can do it team!
One loss at a time.

Next eight games are against the AL and NL East leaders.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
One loss at a time.

i believe

Offline Elvir Ovcina

One loss at a time.

Fortunately the next three of those are the Sanchez/Voth/Fedde triumvirate and Max will only get one more of the remaining games, because this was going in the wrong direction.

Offline aspenbubba

Also we are the fourth worst Nationals team only being better than 2006,7 and 9.

bump  :mg: "trust the process"